Author Topic: Every breaking wave ...meaning???  (Read 73633 times)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
Re: Every breaking wave ...meaning???
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 09:58:07 PM »
Oddly enough I was reading Walker Percy today (with whom I am certain Bono is familiar), and he was referring to what he called an "anser phone" (not answer, but anser). I have no idea what the heck it is, but in the story it sounded like some kind of mobile device (the book was written in the '70s).

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 07:26:28 AM »
To take the answerphone further. Think about this way. When you call and someone isn't there you feel 'disconnected'-that word works on multiple levels to technology and relationships. 

Offline Sunchild

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 01:20:03 PM »
I think Osho said something like, in our defeat, in our feelings of loss we are truly alive, because we are IN the moment that offers many possibilities. The road is open. The winning is merely a price for an ego. So in a deeper sense unconsciously I'd say all of us humans are in love with defeat, because that's where we grow, from mistakes, etc..

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2014, 07:14:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Captain's Voice ?  .  At The start of Vertigo  Bono  calls out Turn it up Captain . And He said The Captain is Steve Lillywhite

didn't Steve Lillywhite  loose his Wife  Kirsty Mcoll because of an accident at Sea ? .  so in his case the sea is a friend made enemy . 

Ciaran 

"The captain" was "the master" in the 2010 live versions. The next line is, "But it's hard to listen while you preach." Put the two lines together and the identity of "the captain" is pretty clear, and even more so in the original lyrics.

Offline AllThoseThingsILove

• Party Girl/Boy
  • "as a ninja hits the ground..." ;)
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 01:52:04 AM »

I thought I heard the captain’s voice
It's hard to listen while you preach
Like every broken wave on the shore
This was as far as I can reach

Bono's faith is pretty prevalent in everything, but he has major problems with preachers.  It's hard for me to not hear that "It's hard to hear the voice of the Captain/God for your preaching (monotonously beating "like every broken wave on the shore"?)."

I swear, this song is going to drive me nuts.

I take
talking about himself, being hard to pay attention to other aspects in his life while he is preaching (i.e. being an activist). No idea who the Captain would be except God, maybe Ali...

Offline AllThoseThingsILove

• Party Girl/Boy
  • "as a ninja hits the ground..." ;)
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 01:56:33 AM »
To take the answerphone further. Think about this way. When you call and someone isn't there you feel 'disconnected'-that word works on multiple levels to technology and relationships.

I doubt Bono would use The Replacements/Paul Westerberg as inspiration, but the first time I heard this song, I thought about "Answering Machine"

Offline Chip

• Numb
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2014, 10:17:48 PM »

Bono's faith is pretty prevalent in everything, but he has major problems with preachers.  It's hard for me to not hear that "It's hard to hear the voice of the Captain/God for your preaching (monotonously beating "like every broken wave on the shore"?)."

I take
talking about himself, being hard to pay attention to other aspects in his life while he is preaching (i.e. being an activist). No idea who the Captain would be except God, maybe Ali...

Yes. "It's hard to listen while you preach" is standard Bono self-deprecation.

Offline mofo_spacejunk

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 12:53:45 AM »

I take

Yes. "It's hard to listen while you preach" is standard Bono self-deprecation.

Jesus was a preacher. He was a great listener. He would use questions to draw out his listener.

Offline Chip

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 08:56:30 PM »
If I understand you (mofo -- sorry, forgot to quote) right as saying that "it's hard to listen while you preach" is Jesus speaking, it doesn't fit the context Bono sets up: "I thought I heard the captain's voice/But it's hard to listen while you preach." The "but" (clearly enunciated by Bono in both the final SOI version and at least some, if not all, of the 2010 live versions) makes it clear that the second line isn't a quote or paraphrase of someone else; rather, the speaker is continuing to reflect on his or her own behavior. That's totally congruent with the speaker's thoughts in the rest of the song, and "it's hard to listen while you preach" is classic Bono in its self-deprecation.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:58:13 PM by Chip »

Offline fresno dave

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "You wanted violins.." about.me/davewainscott
Re: Every breaking wave ...meaning????
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 11:18:09 AM »
The Captain's Voice ?  .  At The start of Vertigo  Bono  calls out Turn it up Captain . And He said The Captain is Steve Lillywhite

didn't Steve Lillywhite  loose his Wife  Kirsty Mcoll because of an accident at Sea ? .  so in his case the sea is a friend made enemy . 

Ciaran 

"The captain" was "the master" in the 2010 live versions. The next line is, "But it's hard to listen while you preach." Put the two lines together and the identity of "the captain" is pretty clear, and even more so in the original lyrics.

--True, The ultimate identity of the captain is obvious...but as usual, other images may apply.

--The death of Steve Lillywhite's wife..by a breaking wave...is a fascinating connection.
More on that story below, Bono spoke about it at a 2006 concert You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

--No doubt Bono's pre-marriage fling with the 'black cat" is part of the story.  That he almost refused to talk about the song on one of the recent interview, due to it being too personal, is interesting

-I always connect it to Ephesians 4:14," that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine."  This is the way Bono is sometimes influenced by a Scripture..not "every" shows up connected to the wind, not waves.  But this is a common way to misquote it in church circles" no longer tossed to and fro by every wave and wind"

-Exile: good catch on Walker Percy.  wouldn't be surprised at all if Bono was inspired there.
Wow. check out the next line in that novel, "Love in the Ruins: The Adventures of a Bad Catholic at a Time Near the End of the World "  (is that a Bono-esque title or what? ;D "She was heard only on Tom's Anser-Phone, while he dances to the mephisto waltz."   Mephisto was Bono's inspiration on MacPhisto..... context: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

-BOTTOM LINE: The man has spoken.  In Rolling Stone, Bono said, "It's about how hard it is to give yourself  completely to another person.  And the two characters in it are addicted to sort of failure and rebirth."

« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 11:33:48 AM by fresno dave »

Offline fresno dave

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "You wanted violins.." about.me/davewainscott
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 11:44:34 AM »
Exile and everyone: PS to my post above.
 Now I am more intrigued by the "Answer-Phone" in Walker Percy.

-- "Pray to God the Bantus don't search me and take my Anser=Phone"
It also makes me think of Unknown Caller:   "How could he use the Anser-Phone?  He had no transmitter and no way of knowing our frequency":

-
From a review of the Percy book:
--Also someone mentioned they were sure EBW had a mental illness connection.
Read Walker Percy! A copy of “Love in the Ruins” costs about–what?–15 dollars which is way cheaper than a therapist appointment or reading the collected works of Freud. And it will help your soul much more.

“Lost in the Ruins” tells the story about Thomas More, a medical doctor in a futuristic and broken America. There is a race war about to erupt, the churches have fallen apart, both political parties are polarized, gated communities exist side-by-side with the communally homeless who have dropped out–hence the ruins of the the title. Yet, Thomas More seems to be the only one who notices that this world is going crazy. In the past, More has struggled with depression and been committed to a medical facility. It is then that he notes that the patients actually seem less neurotic or damaged than those outside who are wearing their ‘false faces’ or going through the motions.

There is a lot going on in this book. There’s an ‘A’ plot dealing with More’s determination to fall in love–or not; a ‘B’ plot regarding his invention which can diagnose as well as treat mental issues; and a ton of lesser plots. More (and the author) is a Christian, so there’s a great deal of Christian anthropology shot through this novel. More (and Percy, again!) is a physician–so he brings a clinical eye to the narration. On top of that, the novel, though portraying a broken society and broken people, is funny in a wicked kind of way. So, if you have struggled with depression or been close to anyone that has–this novel has been there and back. If you are tired by life and just have the blues, Percy’s prose provides an antidote. Stop reading the internet, turn off the tv, don’t answer the phone and curl up with “Love in the Ruins” as if you are spending time with an old friend.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 11:48:17 AM by fresno dave »

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2014, 04:08:45 PM »
Pretty sure it's about Jesus.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • I’m born again to the latest sound
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2014, 04:11:45 PM »
Pretty sure it's about Jesus.

I thought this initially. He (the singer/Bono) can't hear Jesus because he's too busy preaching himself.

All this other stuff is fascinating, though.  :)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2014, 06:23:49 AM »
preaching? no...

The connection in the article to Every Grain of Sand is excellent. 

Offline qiinoM

• Stateless
  • maybe i'm amazed
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2014, 06:00:23 PM »
not in response to the previous conversation, just something i noticed:

in ' every breaking wave':
'like every broken wave on the shore
this is as far as i could reach'

has despair in it, defeat.

in a song written later, ordinary love, the very same image of waves reaching the shore pops up again but holds a different feeling:
'the sea wants to kiss the golden shore'

the waves are no longer reaching the shore in defeat, broken. they now feel like they're kissing the shore. the newfound positivity confirmed by 'all the beauty that's been lost before, wants to find us again'.

in the same vein, every breaking wave speaks of 'every falling leaf' that winter wouldn't leave alone. an image that reminds me of the biblical image of being grafted into a tree (or being 'dead wood' that gets cast out, like a falling leaf).

whereas in ordinary love they seem so very 'grafted in' that they can even build their house in the tree ( an image that reminds me of yet another song, wild honey, where the lovers swinged through the trees - which easily leads to 'but where are you in the cedars of lebanon'. it never ends does it ;-)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 06:03:53 PM by qiinoM »