Author Topic: Every breaking wave ...meaning???  (Read 69220 times)

Offline u24ever656

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: Every breaking wave ...meaning???
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2015, 08:48:47 PM »
When I first heard this song I was really upset. I was upset because I felt that this song (lyrics) betrayed what I previously thought to be the Spirit of U2 - that being songs of uplift, transcendence, hope amidst moments of despair. This song was one of defeat, giving up.. Something that I never heard before in a U2 song. I was really angry for a while and felt betrayed as a loyal fan.   

But as I examined the lyrics further and because more mindful to them, I realize how much Bono is really putting out here. All those years of being vocal with relevant messages - messages about poverty, war and justice issues.. Well, to us they may seem like relevant messages, but to Bono this is no longer the space that this album occupies. He has equated his voice for justice as being "preacher". Bono doesn't want to be a Preacher. " Its hard to listen while you Preach". There is no 'preaching' done on this album. Nor are you getting that 'passionate' Bono much more in interviews nowadays. He is much more lighthearted, which has been a tremendously significant growth and maturity of his soul.

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2015, 09:26:50 AM »
Divorce.

Offline miladrahimi

• U2 is the only band which matters!
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2015, 11:30:50 PM »
I think it's not this much complicated!
The story tells about someone who doesn't wanna be weak one (breaking wave) even if whole the world trying make him weaker (like parent), but like plenty of rock songs which talk about to win, to find better life, to live the way you like and power of people who follow freedom, goals, this song preach you this decision too, and the one song talks over find him way and win eventually, the music video illustrate such a meaning too.

LemonadeSupernova

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2015, 07:56:49 PM »
I dunno what's it about but I like the lyrics. 

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2015, 09:18:26 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I dunno what's it about but I like the lyrics.
Agreed. Some of the best on the album.

Offline rance22

« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2015, 01:58:25 PM »
wow great thread...

I remember Bono saying once that the worst thing that can ever happen to you is you get everything you want in this life...

Our society seems to chase happiness through material things in order to fill the void of the human condition...the unhappiness. We have addictions (in this song gambling) greed for wealth and power, affairs because this person isn't making me happy to satisfy the ego.
This song reminds me of moment of surrender. Once we accept  we are already complete (rather then ego material gratification to prove self) we stop chasing (every breaking wave) and be content with who we are with and what we have.
We surrender instead of endless chasing.

just my $0.02

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2015, 06:10:45 PM »
wow great thread...

I remember Bono saying once that the worst thing that can ever happen to you is you get everything you want in this life...

Our society seems to chase happiness through material things in order to fill the void of the human condition...the unhappiness. We have addictions (in this song gambling) greed for wealth and power, affairs because this person isn't making me happy to satisfy the ego.
This song reminds me of moment of surrender. Once we accept  we are already complete (rather then ego material gratification to prove self) we stop chasing (every breaking wave) and be content with who we are with and what we have.
We surrender instead of endless chasing.

just my $0.02

What makes you think the song is about gambling addiction?

Offline rance22

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2015, 07:15:17 PM »
I don't think it's about gambling addiction, I just meant lots of negative human behaviours (like addictions) are the result of "searching" to fill a void...an unhappiness. Ego driven wants like money, status, pursuing relationship after relationship all seem to come from that wanting. Basically it is a resistence of present moment (which is where life occurs) in the hopes you will be happier in the future.
To me this song points to someone that realizes these ego driven wants are endless and they aren't going to chase every breaking wave to fulfill themselves, instead they are accepting (Are we ready to be swept off our feet) rather then resisting.
Otherwise we could go from relationship to relationship always looking for that someone that will make us happy...

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2015, 08:10:06 PM »
The beauty of music is that the songs mean whatever it is YOU want them to mean. It's everyone's own personal interpretation. There are many musicians/songwriters who don't necessarily want to be very specific about what their songs mean to them because they want it to be left open for interpretation. I believe Eddie Vedder has spoken about he reluctance to tell what the tunes mean so that it does not effect or tarnish (lack of a better word) personal meaning!

Offline griffen2014

• Wanderer
  • What happened your face, of melting in snow
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2015, 01:57:36 PM »
I was at the Barcelona Concert, Friday night. Bono mentioned before the song it was about people who can't find or hold onto to a person that they love. Bono said he was lucky that he was married to his first and last love. But he said he was still discovering what the song meant. You'll probably find this on you tube somewhere. Sorry if this has been posted before.

Found a link: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 02:04:27 PM by griffen2014 »

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2015, 02:33:24 AM »
I agree with what was said earlier, what a great thread. Love seeing all the interpretations of this song which is my favorite on the new album. In the Paris concert, Bono said its for his first love and that he didn't know the ending of the story. I hope it's about Ali personally...

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2016, 07:08:40 AM »
I agree with what was said earlier, what a great thread. Love seeing all the interpretations of this song which is my favorite on the new album. In the Paris concert, Bono said its for his first love and that he didn't know the ending of the story. I hope it's about Ali personally...

you know that could have been ocean...i did go to a bar where he played on his first trip to America on the boy tour... :D
i love and hate the song, i think its beautiful yet sad, especially 'if you goooooooooooooooo, if you go your way and i'll go mine, are we soooooooooo....yeah its a song of defeat and change and i cant listen to it much anymore..I prefer uplifting songs from U2....but then i never felt that way about Electrical Storm, but that doesnt have the deep moaning howling of Bono when he sings, if you gooooooooooo, that almost makes me cry or feel empty but again in a good way....I think he is such a good song writer, my goodness..

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2016, 09:33:14 AM »
It is a good, sad song, but I'd like to think it shoots for a happy ending.  For me personally...it means...if my guy and I had gone our own ways, life would be wicked bad. We stopped chasing every breaking wave (other people, other ways of life, etc) and stayed with each other . We were NOT helpless against the tide...

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2016, 09:21:38 PM »
I think this song references the self-defeat and futility which occupies so much of our lives.  So often we fight by going against the grain of what is and what could be.  Perhaps you're in a relationship which is basically solid but you are forever questioning it, doubting it.  Maybe you're just someone who always sees the grass as being greener on the other side of the road. "Are we ready to be swept off our feet/and stop chasing every breaking wave?"  When we surrender our will, we may find that our life as it is greater and more luminous than we previously imagined or believed.

Offline Phil87

« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2019, 07:34:03 AM »
The song is about the futility of life. Despite "success" in most or even every aspect of life, any one still feels lonely and must lose again to feel the cycle of joy replay whilst knowing the inevitable inherent suffering of life will return. Inescapable as the tide yet reassuring and beautiful that we are ALL still chasing the wave. Thank you U2