Author Topic: Every breaking wave ...meaning???  (Read 72151 times)

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
Re: Every breaking wave ...meaning???
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2019, 11:30:54 AM »
It probably means holding on to a person...but it could be holding on to a range of things too and struggling to let things go.  It could be about love, faith, doubt, loss.
It's probably bigger than just one 'idea' or concept.

Personally I think it's one of the best lyrics Bono has written - it's a beautiful song (a great melody) and although it's largely been rested since I&E tour (apart from the Apollo and Beach House additional shows on E&I last summer - if they count), I hope it finds a place in U2's 'mainstream' canon.

Offline ricebird5678

• Wanderer
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2019, 11:57:59 AM »
This is another one of those U2 songs that evokes different interpretations, stories within stories. Gambler's, lost loves, scenic landscapes, Godly undertones.. masterpiece.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2019, 10:03:27 PM »
Wow.  Came up on random tonight.  Not an album I usually get into, but impressive song, in the way it’s constructed and just overall.  I tend to forget about it, because I don’t listen to the stuff around it often.  Someday, I maintain this song will be used in some movie, show, or event and it will be heralded— every dog has its day.

As far as meaning... I think it’s about the trials of a long term relationship, and how everyone, even the dog on the street, can see the “troubles” for the two in the partnership, and how the couple feels the recede and swells in a personal relationship.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2019, 04:22:48 PM »
Seems to be about personal intimacy and our general fear of getting too close to another person due to the possibility (probability) of loss.