Author Topic: Every breaking wave ...meaning???  (Read 72990 times)

Offline Sunchild

• Stateless
Re: Every breaking wave ...meaning???
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2014, 11:21:54 PM »
Every Breaking Wave... surrender, death of a personality and ultimate victory of the spirit self in a war between falsehood and truth
Ordinary Love... grounding into earth, feeling the love in the tiniest details of life

Water or the sea/ocean, a symbol of truth, of a soul, because we are made of water, we are liquid beings hijacked by aliens inside us, by the false and dead. All these songs are about the same over and over again, reminding us, to go home.

Good thing is that every single one here knows the meaning of this song, each meaning is going to be different though.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 06:43:58 AM by Sunchild »

Offline Am I bugging you?

• Party Girl/Boy
  • “Fu<k the revolution”
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2014, 04:37:20 AM »
  I believe Every Breaking Wave could possibly refer to Bono's relationship with his father.
  Here is a few lines from the song Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, a song that definitely refers to Bono's relationship with his father.
  We fight all the time.
  If we weren't so alike, you'd like me a whole lot more.
  I know that we don't talk.
  I'm sick of it all.
  These lines give us an indication of Bono's relationship problems with his father.
  My interpretation to some of the lines in Every Breaking Wave.
  Every breaking wave (Every argument or fight)
  Summer I was fearless (Bono having the courage to open up to his father about his feelings, in an attempt to mend the relationship)
  Now I speak into an answer phone (Bono's attempt to mend the relationship failed, now his father won't answer the phone to his son)
  Baby every dog on the street (Refers to the people who know of Bono and his fathers relationship problems)
  Knows that we're in love with defeat (Bono and his father are often arguing or fighting, there is no winner)
  Are we ready to be swept of our feet (Are we ready for change)
  And stop chasing (Try to avoid)
  It's hard to listen while you preach (Bono's father believes he knows best. Bono's father not willing to listen to Bono's opinions)
  I am not claiming that I know the meaning of this song. This is just one context I have considered whilst listening to Every Breaking Wave.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2014, 09:10:30 PM »
It's basically With Or Without You Part II

meximofo

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2014, 09:14:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
  I believe Every Breaking Wave could possibly refer to Bono's relationship with his father.
  Here is a few lines from the song Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, a song that definitely refers to Bono's relationship with his father.
  We fight all the time.
  If we weren't so alike, you'd like me a whole lot more.
  I know that we don't talk.
  I'm sick of it all.
  These lines give us an indication of Bono's relationship problems with his father.
  My interpretation to some of the lines in Every Breaking Wave.
  Summer I was fearless (Bono having the courage to open up to his father about his feelings, in an attempt to mend the relationship)
  Now I speak into an answer phone (Bono's attempt to mend the relationship failed, now his father won't answer the phone to his son)
  Baby every dog on the street (Refers to the people who know of Bono and his fathers relationship problems)
  Knows that we're in love with defeat (Bono and his father are often arguing or fighting, there is no winner)
  Are we ready to be swept of our feet (Are we ready for change)
  And stop chasing (Try to avoid)
  It's hard to listen while you preach (Bono's father believes he knows best. Bono's father not willing to listen to Bono's opinions)
  I am not claiming that I know the meaning of this song. This is just one context I have considered whilst listening to Every Breaking Wave.
Very interesting connection! I like it! That's the beauty of that song, when you thought you understand what it means, you discover a different interpretation. It speaks to each one of us in different, personal yet universal ways.

Offline 1musicmuse

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2014, 03:06:44 PM »
I think its about two people totally in love yet decide not to be together because of circumstances, wrong time...etc.. So they choose to go their separate ways. Trying to be together would cause too much hardship at this time.

They were together once but there was cheating: chasing every breaking wave. So they broke up but are still in love with one another.

Offline 1musicmuse

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2014, 03:14:32 PM »
Yes! That's it! "Stop chasing every breaking wave" Stop going out with the next new person that comes along and stay faithful in the relationship, and you'll find you'll be swept off your feet.

Offline Domenico

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2014, 07:57:55 PM »
If I may post my opinion about this song, pls.
First I must say that, is so difficult to read such a wird(positive way) mind of maybe Bono?
But I triyed.
So in my opinion he is talking about the weakness of Humanity, which every day,hour, minute....is repeating. And we accept that, like a normal think, like a player that knows is will loose. So we go every year, through the same fearness, like the seasons and the leafs, and we get used so we dont see that anymore. But then, maybe somebody does not accept all this, and he says that is so normal and obvious to be so loosers that even a dog street knows it. So there is always somebody to question if we can be different than the logic? Because, we all know that life is heavy, but also a friend, like a sailor knows about the double face of the sea, and like a shipwrecked once is found loose his mystery, but not his value. Then maybe, we have too many institutions telling to us what to do, but they cover the real voice of the captain(Good). Then Bono, says that i tryied it all, but we dont have to give up, because we know how to deal with it, like the sea knows where the rocks are. We just have to accept the sins and mistakes, because we all know where to find back the real meaning of the life, so be less arrogant, unsicure,  more open for mistakes. But he ends saying that we are not so full to do that.

Offline TheTef

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2015, 02:51:20 PM »
The song EBW might be about something specific.  But what I love, love, love about U2 lyrics, is that they are open to interpretation to some point.  Obviously, this song is about challenges and struggles and the human condition... There are absolutes in "Every gambler" and in "Every sailor"... which are themes of foolish risk-taking and then calculated ones.  i.e. To gamble long term is a losing battle - 100% of the time.  But a sailor is an educated person on the topic of the seas... and they decide when to go out and take appropriate risks... like anything worth doing in life, there is the chance at a loss, but a sailor uses their head in making those decisions.  But the magic, the pure beauty in this song, is not in the absolutes.  It is in the questions asked.  There are two... "Are we ready to swept off our feet..." to go with the flow, to follow our passion, to chase our dreams versus the impossibility of changing the rolling tides... and then the bigger question, the biggest question regarding us, humans, people of consciousness, all of it... "Are we so helpless??" and YOUR answer to that question in life, no matter how big or small the challenge, is all that matters.  That's the beauty of EBW.  The questions are what makes or breaks you... and to question #2, my answer is heck no!!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 08:25:52 AM by TheTef »

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • I’m born again to the latest sound
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2015, 03:00:06 PM »
The song EBW might be about something specific.  But what I love, love, love about U2 lyrics, is that they are open to interpretation to some point.  Obviously, this song is about challenges and struggles and the human condition... There are absolutes in "Every gambler" and in "Every sailor"... which are themes of foolish risk-taking and then calculated ones.  i.e. To gamble long term is a losing battle - 100% of the time.  But a sailor is an educated person on the topic of the seas... and they decide when to go out and take appropriate risks... like anything worth doing in life, there is the chance at a loss, but a sailor uses their head in making those decisions.  But the magic, the pure beauty in this song, is not in the absolutes.  It is in the questions asked.  There are two... "Are we ready to swept off our feet..." to go with the flow, to follow our passion, to chase our dreams versus the impossibility of changing the rolling tides... and then the bigger question, the biggest question regarding us, humans, people of consciousness, all of it... "Are we so helpless??" and YOUR answer to that question in life, no matter how big or small the challenge is, is all that matters.  That's the beauty of EBW.  The questions are what makes or breaks you... and to question #2, my answer is heck no!!

Very nice first post. Welcome! :)

Offline Lizard

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Heard a song that made some sense out of the world
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2015, 12:51:06 AM »
Waves are energy and when they come close to the shore they encounter obstacles (like sandbars) and loose part of their energy. When they finally hit the beach the complete energy is gone. But as we hear in the song there is going to be one more wave with more energy.

This is what the song means to me now. For me (as somebody who beliefs in Christ) I get whatever I need from God (energy, love...). I don't have it myself, I rely on this input from God.
Whenever I run out of energy it is good to know that there is gonna be another wave of energy/love and yet another....

What I really like, is what you wrote about the two questions, theTEF. The great thing is that the first question "Are we so helpless?" is sort of answered by the second question "Are we ready to be swept of our feet?" in my opinion.  This turns the dark and helpless side of the song into a postive one- at least if the answer is yes, we are ready.

Offline Darkelectric

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2015, 09:44:23 PM »
The tide is all around you. It is your neighbor on his way to work. It is some stranger at the
grocery store. It is the people that represent us without listening to us. It is those that die
needing help we could give, but we don't. The tide is all ways we have learned and been told
to live our lives, and we live them without thinking of or fighting for a better way.

Every breaking wave is what keeps you there, every day, every hour. You would rather own
a new iPhone than think about how many lives could be saved with that money somewhere
else. You would rather believe that the powers that be exist to protect us rather than keep
us exactly where they want us. You chase every wave, because the next one could be a
better one than the last, even though it never is.

And So We love the things that could cause our lives to be undone. And that is why a living thing
that has nothing can see things so clearly- every dog on the street. We live so firmly in denial
and so we are in love with defeat.

Our lives summed up in verse. Every day we get the chance to stand together and make a
difference and yet every day you go your way, and I go mine.

Offline TheTef

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2015, 06:02:28 AM »
DarkElectric... you need a hug!!  There are a lot more loved dogs in the world than ones living on the street.  What separates us, as humans, is that we don't have a "dog on the street" view.  Yes, some people choose to be defeated, but that is often a choice.  We are not "helpless against the tides" at all.  And, no, we can't change the tides, but we sure as hell don't have to follow them, and at the end of the day, we don't have to hang out in the ocean either.  (hug)

Offline Darkelectric

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2015, 11:17:36 AM »
Yes well, it is just an interpretation. The song itself easily represents Bono and U2's
level of mastery within their craft. U2 has always spoken out about the human condition,
and while the song itself may seem to beg the question, is this all we will ever be...?,
there is a certain amount of hopefulness to the song as well. The question alone-
Are we so helpless against the tide? Just asking it would seem to indicate that we
aren't.

It makes me wish that music could be capable of fixing the things that trouble us
as a whole. That there could be a perfect song that could compel us to let go of
greed, hate, apathy... but I don't suppose that is possible. Still, though, I think that
some may try. And if that isn't any different than a Gambler that knows that losing
is what it is really about, then I don't know what is. Such a perfect song.

Offline CenterStone

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2015, 07:56:49 PM »
Possibly somewhat of a classic metaphor in the song.

Spring - Birth and/or growth
Summer - The pinnacle or prime
Fall - Decline
Winter - Death

Summer (the high point of the relationship) I was fearlessness

During the highpoint, "honeymoon", the summer of the relationship, the individual was able to communicate face-to-face, freely, openly, honestly, fearlessly . The relationship was strong. They were strong together.

Now I speak into an answer phone

Now, that person is unable to share their self openly, honestly and they are resolved to leaving a voice mail because they don't even want to attempt to communicate face-to-face / fearlessly .

Like every falling leaf on the breeze
Winter
(the demise of the relationship) wouldn't leave it alone
Alone

They have to deal with the inevitability (Like every falling leaf on the breeze) of dealing with the break up (winter), they can't just go about their lives in a dysfunctional relationship (wouldn't leave it alone, Alone )

Just my take.

Offline Sunchild

• Stateless
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2015, 10:45:55 AM »
Possibly somewhat of a classic metaphor in the song.

Spring - Birth and/or growth
Summer - The pinnacle or prime
Fall - Decline
Winter - Death

Summer (the high point of the relationship) I was fearlessness

During the highpoint, "honeymoon", the summer of the relationship, the individual was able to communicate face-to-face, freely, openly, honestly, fearlessly . The relationship was strong. They were strong together.

Now I speak into an answer phone

Now, that person is unable to share their self openly, honestly and they are resolved to leaving a voice mail because they don't even want to attempt to communicate face-to-face / fearlessly .

Like every falling leaf on the breeze
Winter
(the demise of the relationship) wouldn't leave it alone
Alone

They have to deal with the inevitability (Like every falling leaf on the breeze) of dealing with the break up (winter), they can't just go about their lives in a dysfunctional relationship (wouldn't leave it alone, Alone )

Just my take.

Beautiful

This song when I feel it without going into details, but feeling the aura and energy of this song what it communicates beyond any intention but what it's supposed to say to me. I feel that it goes beyond any classical relationship between two people, but it's a message to go within, to be centred inside, to be a water, to flow with the waves, in harmony, not against, not chasing, not struggling, not fighting, but just be with what is, with all the change and changing seasons of life, just be at peace with it all. It speaks of the true nature of innocence, to reach it before we could appreciate the true nature of experience and then ascend beyond the physical limitations. 

What a wonderful time to be alive.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 10:03:11 AM by Sunchild »