Author Topic: NLOTH - I like it, but then again i don't like it...  (Read 1957 times)

andyt

NLOTH - I like it, but then again i don't like it...
« on: February 22, 2009, 11:03:52 AM »

Why do I listen to the new album and not like it? But not all the time. Sometimes I like listening to it.

Reasons I don't like it are:

1) The lyrics (sometimes)
2) Edge's constant 80's guitar sound - he's been much more experimental and interesting on other albums.
3) The production
4) GOYB

Reasons I like it are:

1) It's not like the last 2 albums - therefore it's musically more interesting (apart from Edge's guitar)
2) There are some lovely melodies on it
3) Moment of Surrender
4) The Eno elements

I am confused.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
Re: NLOTH - I like it, but then again i don't like it...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 11:42:43 AM »
Can you elaborate on "the production"? Can you really tell how good the album is after a few days?

Offline yam_yam

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 12:07:27 PM »
i agree on the lyrics. i think musically cedars can be compared to love is blindness with it being the last track but then the lyrics are an absolute let down.

andyt

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 12:26:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i agree on the lyrics. i think musically cedars can be compared to love is blindness with it being the last track but then the lyrics are an absolute let down.

I completely agree with what you're saying about Cedars 'Taking oranges from a tank' anyone?

In terms of production, the sound is way too polished. I'd love to hear a gritty U2 sound again...

Offline yam_yam

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 12:27:58 PM »
i absolutely love it when U2 let go! i.e. magnificent, stand up, breathe etc. to me white as snow and fez (another sh*t lyrical output) are boring and i keep skipping them.

andyt

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 12:32:33 PM »
i absolutely love it when U2 let go! i.e. magnificent, stand up, breathe etc. to me white as snow and fez (another sh*t lyrical output) are boring and i keep skipping them.

Yes, I really like Stand Up.

But Bono really has to get a grip on his lyrics. And before anyone shouts at me, yes, I am in a position to say that.

He's also got to start being less referential.

'I don't want to talk about wars between nations'

'The right to be ridiculous is something I hold dear'

'Rock stars with big ideas'

Come on Bono, you have a social concience which is great and you're clearly in a famous band. Move on...

Offline eviltimeban

• Wanderer
  • Pop is the best U2 album
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 01:08:31 PM »

2) Edge's constant 80's guitar sound - he's been much more experimental and interesting on other albums.

Yes!! And the oh oh oh oh business that sounds like it is straight out of 80s U2. Terrible. Puts me off big time.

Offline yam_yam

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 01:41:18 PM »
i dont mind the oh's... in some cases they're better than some of his lyrics!

Offline xtrmntr

• Stateless
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 02:20:07 PM »
I don't mind the lyrics on half of these songs.  Lyrics really don't bother too much, unless they're cheesy and really bad.  I guess it all depends what the band is going for with the song.  For example, I don't have any problems with the lyrics on Pop.  I know they're not taking themselves too seriously, so I don't mind the lyrics to Miami and Playboy Mansion--I actually kind of dig them.  Bomb, on the other hand, is a completely different story.  The cheesy lyrics to Miracle Drug, Original of the species, and Crumbs make me cringe.  I know the band is going for something else with these songs than say Miami, but the lyrics are just bad. 

I don't mind Boots' lyrics (candy floss, ice cream, etc.), except for one part.  When he sings "I don't want to talk about war between nations", that's where he loses me.  You're singing about boots, and you gotta throw that line in there?  Come on!  --After reading this, I realized I was doing my best GOB impression. 

« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 02:21:41 PM by xtrmntr »

Offline youngmanu2

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 12:20:30 PM »
I don't mind the lyrics on half of these songs.  Lyrics really don't bother too much, unless they're cheesy and really bad.  I guess it all depends what the band is going for with the song.  For example, I don't have any problems with the lyrics on Pop.  I know they're not taking themselves too seriously, so I don't mind the lyrics to Miami and Playboy Mansion--I actually kind of dig them.  Bomb, on the other hand, is a completely different story.  The cheesy lyrics to Miracle Drug, Original of the species, and Crumbs make me cringe.  I know the band is going for something else with these songs than say Miami, but the lyrics are just bad. 

I don't mind Boots' lyrics (candy floss, ice cream, etc.), except for one part.  When he sings "I don't want to talk about war between nations", that's where he loses me.  You're singing about boots, and you gotta throw that line in there?  Come on!  --After reading this, I realized I was doing my best GOB impression. 

Lyrics on HTDAAB were better than this. Cheesy lyrics on Crumbs or Miracle Drug? Those are lyrics worthy of a Nobel Prize in Poetry relative to Go Crazy!

The fundamental flaws with this album, imo, all relate to the lyrics and most of the singing. In multiple areas:

Rhyme - very little; lines are often forced in and don't really catch or captivate the ear.

Meaning - what meaning? Often difficult to follow, disjointed (nothing like, for example, Streets or Still Haven't Found, or One or Beautiful Day or even Elevation).

Melody - Bono's really lacking in melody on many of the lyrics. It's as if he's just going up and down and trying to find a place to throw something out.

His voice sounds great and is well in his comfort zone on White as Snow - but he is straining on Magnificent (especially when he sings the word) and he could have done much better on a song whose music is of tremendous calibre.

joegtheog

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 12:26:55 PM »
"With a mouth full of teeth, you ate all your friends"?  Uhh.....yeah.

Offline ice_bergy

• Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 12:42:37 PM »
Hahaha OOHHHH haha  ohh you made my day..........Bomb having better lyrics than NLOTH  you are too funny lol next thing your going to say is that October is their real masterpiece

Offline silkenskies

• Refugee
  • You got my head filled with songs
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 01:34:41 PM »

Lyrics on HTDAAB were better than this. Cheesy lyrics on Crumbs or Miracle Drug? Those are lyrics worthy of a Nobel Prize in Poetry relative to Go Crazy!

The fundamental flaws with this album, imo, all relate to the lyrics and most of the singing. In multiple areas:

Rhyme - very little; lines are often forced in and don't really catch or captivate the ear.

Meaning - what meaning? Often difficult to follow, disjointed (nothing like, for example, Streets or Still Haven't Found, or One or Beautiful Day or even Elevation).

Melody - Bono's really lacking in melody on many of the lyrics. It's as if he's just going up and down and trying to find a place to throw something out.

His voice sounds great and is well in his comfort zone on White as Snow - but he is straining on Magnificent (especially when he sings the word) and he could have done much better on a song whose music is of tremendous calibre.

Respect your opinion, but the lyrics on HTDAAB were horrendous. The first verse in COBL is atrocious, IMO. If you go back and revisit JT, AB, Zooropa, Pop...hell ANY other album, it's obvious he lost it on that record.

joegtheog

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 01:40:53 PM »
And part of me hates having to admit it because I absolutely love OOTS, Sometimes, All Because of You, Love and Peace, Vertigo, and Miracle Drug, but yeah, Atomic Bomb is not up to par lyrically with any other U2 album, even more so NLOTH from what I have read and heard so far.

shockdocta22

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 04:28:16 PM »
Dont let GOYB make you not like it, just skip it