Author Topic: Just a Couple of Things...  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
Just a Couple of Things...
« on: February 22, 2009, 12:31:43 PM »
I don’t want to create any enemies or anything; to each their own.  But in this forum, when I try to find other fans’ legitimate opinions/viewpoints/etc., especially in the eve of the new album release, I’m feeling three things:

1)  The fans who seem to have to interject at the slightest thing.  I.E. posting “really?” and “are you sure” and “no way” posts; posts that seem just for the sake of posting.  I’m reminded of a pet following the movements of two people playing catch.  This kind of litters up what I really want to read.
2) Going along with this, people who are concerned that their status names are no longer changing.  I think this goes along with my #1 – it seems people just post to get their numbers up to get to “the next level” and not really bringing anything substantial into a discussion.  When did this forum open up?  October?  And people are already maxed out?  Wow.   
3) Maybe having a separate games topic or something, so people can play the games and not have them in “General Music Discussion.”

Anyway—not really suggesting anything except #3.  I’ve just about given up looking at many good posts to try to find actual opinions, because they seem more cluttered up than other forums.  Again, don’t want to make enemies, but this is my observation.

Great job on the website, by the way.  This past week must have been administrative hell for you guys.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
Re: Just a Couple of Things...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 12:48:05 PM »
The games are in the Real World topic just to clear that thing up.

Some of the posters here come here for fun (such as myself) and those who usually post 'filler posts' may likely bump up their level but doesn't break any rules unless the moderators see that this person is deliberatly doing it. They can't do much really and since there is only 3 or 4 moderators, it's hard to sweep a whole forum and decide if they are really contributing or not (so yeah, it is basically hell for them as you said  ;)).

The members here don't usually have time to read the rules before joining this forum - or in fact any forum (including me when I first joined - or I'm just generalising.) unless they are warned or told that they are breaking a specific rule.

Of course, if you still have problems all you have to do is press the 'Report to Mod' button/link on the touble-maker's post you deem inappropriate or offending. Hope that clears some things up for you :)

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 01:46:06 PM »
Hey Nielsen -- I'm not saying anyone's breaking the rules, or that there's anything the moderators can do about it -- I was just commenting on some posters posts as cluttering up others opinions (in my opinion).  If I had the time, I'd do a lot more posts myself.  This week it seemed to come to a head, but I guess excitement will do that to people.  It's just hard to mine some of these posts when a lot of what's posted can be labeled as noise.   :)     

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 02:30:40 PM »
I see what you mean and some of the members are a bit aggressive and scares off some of the members from contributing - especially the teenage members. I rarely see other teenagers contributing to the discussions which is a bit unfair and when they do voice opinion I feel that they are ignored. But that's just me I guess  :-\

Offline Boy,stupid_boy

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 02:39:32 PM »
no way!

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 02:48:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
no way!

A fine example of one of many inappropriate comments....oh wait you helped proved our point! So it's not so inappropriate after all  :D :D

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 10:42:55 AM »
In the old forum some of the opinions got so out of hand, I stopped posting for awhile, but I remember those few people got kicked out, Maybe M2 should jump in for Bullying too, which can happen even here.

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 05:35:24 PM »
As any forum grows, noise is to be expected. We can't legislate against noise; how would you? Put in a minimum word requirement? Wel, who's to say that a 3-word reply isn't more useful and profound than a 5-paragraph reply? Forums are no different in this way than any other large gathering of people. Get 12 people seated around a dinner table, and you're going to have some very interesting conversations, along with plenty of noise. :-)

However, if you see someone who consistently adds noise to conversations and the only apparent reason is to increase their post count, let us know. Every single post on this message board has a "Report Mod." button at the bottom, and all it takes is one report for us to look into it. It's very easy to review any user's entire history of postings, and if we feel someone is taking advantage of the system, we'll handle it accordingly.

Likewise, any large gathering of people is going to have some people you like and some you dislike, some who are kind and gentle and some who are loud and aggressive, some who passionately disagree with you and some who passionately agree. There's a certain thickness of skin that's necessary for taking part in ANY online forum, and a forum for U2 fans is no different. But again, if you spot someone in clear violation of our forum rules, use the Report Mod. button and we'll look into it.

Thx guys for the thoughts and feedback.

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 05:44:49 PM »
Thanks M2.