Author Topic: lessons of AB for NLOTH (practice makes perfect)  (Read 753 times)

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
lessons of AB for NLOTH (practice makes perfect)
« on: February 22, 2009, 01:06:52 PM »
I have a feeling that NLOTH is going to be looked at, three albums from now, in the same critical but excellent way Achtung is now.  Or maybe it's just that I keep reading "best album since Achtung."  Anyway, to take a break from the 24/7 NLOTH listening, I've been going back and watching Zootv stuff and the Interference video (I don't know what the DVD has, I still just have the VHS tape).  I also youtubed some clips.

One thing I was a little surprised at was how, uh, inept some of the earlier performances were and how awkward Bono was.  I always think of Zootv how I saw it:  polished, massive, second wave (post Zooropa).  But their initial performances of Zoo Station, Fly, Even Better, etc., were a little rough.

I was thinking of that lately because I thought the Grammys and Brits performances of GOYB were, uh, a little inept and awkward.  I don't think the band has "lost it" or is too old or any crap like that.  I just think they are working out kinks.  I expect to be a little underwhelmed when they are on Letterman.  But by the time the tour hits full swing in the USA, I'm sure it will be as phenomenal is I'm expecting.

Another example was Popmart.  I saw it literally at the second show of the tour (San Diego -- didn't it start in Vegas?).  They played Staring at the Sun with a very normal full set rock approach; you could tell they were annoyed even.  Anyone else there remember this?  When I saw them a couple months later in Los Angeles, they were doing only the small-stage Staring version.  It was much better.  That kind of refinement is bound to take place as well.

I'm looking forward to Boots live a year from now. :)

Offline braxhunt

• Refugee
  • Feel like trash - you make me feel clean
Re: lessons of AB for NLOTH (practice makes perfect)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 03:22:22 PM »
Saw U2 on the elevation tour at the first show. Not the official first show the first, first show when Bono fell off the stage in the middle of UTEOTW. I can say from personal experience that you can add ATYCLB to the list of albums that U2 didn't know how to play at first. Bono barely got a lyric right the whole show. BTW listen to the fly from vertigo in san diego and you'll notice the same thing.

joegtheog

Re: lessons of AB for NLOTH (practice makes perfect)
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 03:41:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have a feeling that NLOTH is going to be looked at, three albums from now, in the same critical but excellent way Achtung is now.  Or maybe it's just that I keep reading "best album since Achtung."  Anyway, to take a break from the 24/7 NLOTH listening, I've been going back and watching Zootv stuff and the Interference video (I don't know what the DVD has, I still just have the VHS tape).  I also youtubed some clips.

One thing I was a little surprised at was how, uh, inept some of the earlier performances were and how awkward Bono was.  I always think of Zootv how I saw it:  polished, massive, second wave (post Zooropa).  But their initial performances of Zoo Station, Fly, Even Better, etc., were a little rough.

I was thinking of that lately because I thought the Grammys and Brits performances of GOYB were, uh, a little inept and awkward.  I don't think the band has "lost it" or is too old or any crap like that.  I just think they are working out kinks.  I expect to be a little underwhelmed when they are on Letterman.  But by the time the tour hits full swing in the USA, I'm sure it will be as phenomenal is I'm expecting.

Another example was Popmart.  I saw it literally at the second show of the tour (San Diego -- didn't it start in Vegas?).  They played Staring at the Sun with a very normal full set rock approach; you could tell they were annoyed even.  Anyone else there remember this?  When I saw them a couple months later in Los Angeles, they were doing only the small-stage Staring version.  It was much better.  That kind of refinement is bound to take place as well.

I'm looking forward to Boots live a year from now. :)

JJ, I was there too and I also remember their botched attempt at "If God Will Send His Angels"; they were obviously working out the kinks onstage....witness the full-frontal assault of Mexico City 8 months later, complete with haunting solo version of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" by Edge