Author Topic: Why U2 did this.  (Read 699 times)

Offline Bonoman77

• Wanderer
Why U2 did this.
« on: September 26, 2014, 06:56:07 PM »
It makes me laugh when i see all these critics saying it was such a bad move by u2 to do this and there selfish.First of all whose gonna turn down 100 million dollars even if this album sold 20 million copies u2 wouldn,t make that much. And the state of the music industry today unless your taylor swift or one direction or a rap act or beyonce your not gonna get any air play.Look at cold play,s new cd it hasn,t even sold a million copies.Unfortunetely a group like u2 had to do something like this and it was smart.I mean there,s no mtv or vh1 anymore how else do you get your new music out there.But in u2,s favor there still noone bigger live i mean nloth didn,t sell by u2 standards and they had a record breaking tour 737 million gross .Let,s see all these kiddie acts do that, i don,t think so GO U2 SMART MOVE.

Offline vanev74

• Wanderer
Re: Why U2 did this.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 07:14:27 PM »
I like the way U2 did this.
I like the free album given to all Iphone users and I like the fact the band was handsomely paid for it.
There are very few artists who can do this.
U2 is in select company.

I would say it has proven so far to be a smart move.
It has come with a great cost, however, with those who disagree with the approach and who just do not like the music.
It is possible that some, maybe even many, who are negative on this will change their mind and become fans of the band.

It was the right move, at the right time.
Timing is everything.

Offline Velvet Dress

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 07:21:35 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but afaik, we don't know how much they were paid.

The $100m figure was an estimate by a business/finance journo about how much Apple would spend on the advertising campaign with the video.   Even there was any figure released as to how much the licensing fee was, most of it would have gone to the label, I imagine, not U2.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 08:04:01 PM »
Should have charged $30 for the album and given away concert tickets :-)

Offline KitCat

• Precious Stone
  • looking for a way up
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 03:15:55 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Should have charged $30 for the album and given away concert tickets :-)

Possibly your most hilarious line yet Briscoe! I'm just picturing Paul McG dropping dead reading the headlines of that announcement.  :D