Author Topic: The Rubin Sessions, what survived ?  (Read 2314 times)

Offline adam1

• Refugee
The Rubin Sessions, what survived ?
« on: February 22, 2009, 02:22:22 PM »
I've read conflicting reports on the Rubin sessions. Some say everything was indefinatly shelved. Others say some of the stuff survived . Perhaps the Rubin sessions created the basic song structures. Eno and Lanois were then brought in to add more depth, layers and sounds to them.

Anyone hear any Rubin influences on the album ?

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
Re: The Rubin Sessions, what survived ?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 02:25:43 PM »
Rubin is known for his stripped - down production. As you can hear (if you did) from U2's latest album, it is clearly not stripped down. He would have been perfect for All That You Can't Leave Behind and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

nolinehumper69

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 02:49:36 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've read conflicting reports on the Rubin sessions. Some say everything was indefinatly shelved. Others say some of the stuff survived . Perhaps the Rubin sessions created the basic song structures. Eno and Lanois were then brought in to add more depth, layers and sounds to them.

It wouldnt surprise me if he is called on for the next release this year. The way Bono described the next album sounded like Rick Rubin to a tee; 'meditative'. Rick's zen like approach is what I would want out of a U2 album. Hopefully they will resolve their differences and ask him back on board.

Offline OneStepCloser

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Can you hear the drummer slowing?
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 02:52:52 PM »

It wouldnt surprise me if he is called on for the next release this year. The way Bono described the next album sounded like Rick Rubin to a tee; 'meditative'. Rick's zen like approach is what I would want out of a U2 album. Hopefully they will resolve their differences and ask him back on board.

Next release this year? I think I may be a bit out of the loop here...There's another album aside from No Line coming out?  ???

Offline adam1

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 03:02:02 PM »
I think that's doubtful. But a 2010 greatest hits with a couple of new 'Storm'/'Hands' quality songs included would be nice.

They will probably go with either Rubin or Eno/Lanois next time. They know how Rubin works now, so won't shelve everything after one year. This should mean a shorter wait. 

nolinehumper69

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 03:03:15 PM »

Next release this year? I think I may be a bit out of the loop here...There's another album aside from No Line coming out?  ???

February 15, 2009: This Observer article reports that U2 is planning to release another album before the end of 2009. Bono describes it as "a more meditative album on the theme of pilgrimage."

nolinehumper69

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 03:05:36 PM »
I think that's doubtful. But a 2010 greatest hits with a couple of new 'Storm'/'Hands' quality songs included would be nice.

They will probably go with either Rubin or Eno/Lanois next time. They know how Rubin works now, so won't shelve everything after one year. This should mean a shorter wait. 

Why would it be doubtful? lol

They have over 40 songs left on their mixing desk. I will take Bono's words to be the truth until I see otherwise.

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 05:07:16 PM »

Why would it be doubtful? lol

They have over 40 songs left on their mixing desk. I will take Bono's words to be the truth until I see otherwise.

Because Bono (and indeed other artists) talk of a lot of things that don't happen. There was, back in the 90s, meant to be some kind of ZooTV related thing that'd happen after the tour, but the band pretty much said it wasn't happening at the Kmart conference when launching PopMart.

Offline evel12314

• Elevated
  • Squeeze out sparks of light.
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 05:13:37 PM »
I hope they dust off those Rubin tracks. Judging from the 2006 beach clips (especially #2!), they were definitely on to something.

Offline LaughingGas

• Refugee
  • "Your face pressed up against the glass"
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 09:18:47 PM »
Did Rubin produce Blood Sugar Sex Magic?  I love that album!

Offline Zaphod

• Stateless
  • Dances with wolves
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 07:54:57 AM »
The only 2 things from U2 produced by Rick Rubin were Window in The Sky and The Saints are coming.

I think that IF U2 will come up with a new album this year or the next it will be produced by Eno/Lanois. Bono will onlt say so if he thinks it is managable (considering the coming tour) in time.
You can compare this with AB and Zooropa. Zooropa came from the same period and inspiration of the former.

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 08:16:30 AM »
Man, I don't want a pilgrimage album. I want a swaggering rock album, less introspection, more searing guitar and howling Bono!

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 09:24:30 AM »

I'm not sure, I think he produced Stadium Arcadium though. Which imho was painfully rubbish, and the worst RHCP album I've heard by a distance. It had a couple of good songs and about 18 bad ones. Blood Sugar Sex Magic was great though.

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 05:54:04 PM »

I'm not sure, I think he produced Stadium Arcadium though. Which imho was painfully rubbish, and the worst RHCP album I've heard by a distance. It had a couple of good songs and about 18 bad ones. Blood Sugar Sex Magic was great though.

Funny you should say that, because StadArc was Rubin's fifth straight album with RHCP, and BSSM was the first. Incidentally, I largely agree (I'd say Californication in place of BSSM though), and I suspect it's a band/producer setup getting too comfortable. U2, incidentally, haven't yet used the exact same producer line-up for more than two albums running, barring the first three.