Author Topic: Captain's log.....8 days to go. Welcome To My Nightmare  (Read 841 times)

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
  • Feel like trash, You make me feel clean...
Captain's log.....8 days to go. Welcome To My Nightmare
« on: February 22, 2009, 11:06:58 PM »
Captain's log, Sunday, February 22, 2009.  11:20 p.m.  New Orleans, Louisiana.

It's Sunday, a day of rest.  But there is no rest for the weary.  I have tossed and turned all night, haunted by the same dream:  Upon finding a copy of No Line On The Horizon accidentally put out early on the shelf of my local record store, I immediately purchase it and exit the store, but am tackled by Paul McGuinness in the parking lot before I can reach my car.  The worst nightmare, however, was still to come.  Still tired, I get out of bed and walk down the hall to my office.  There, I find Wilson, the angel, and the devil sound asleep where I left them the night before, earbuds in ears, with the new album on repeat.  There is an air of peace in the room, but not for me.  I see that other surviving abstainers have made contact during the night and are vowing to hold strong.  May they receive the strength they need for their struggle.  My surge of hope, however, is quickly dampened by the accompanying news of many more surrenders.  The attrition grows, moving steadily towards 100 percent.  At this rate, there will be no survivors left before long. 

For the rest of the day, I avoid all U2 news and occupy myself with the mundane task of gathering supplies for the upcoming week.  Late in the evening, with the chores of the day finished, I lie down on my couch and proceed to have the worst nightmare yet.  In my dream, I was in a dank cave, moving through the darkness toward a light in the distance.  I rounded a corner and saw, perched on a pedestal, under a beam of light cascading down from the ceiling, the deluxe box set of No Line On The Horizon.  My heart raced as I swiftly made my way to claim my treasure.  I lifted it from it's perch.  It was glorious; the white box shining like a pearl in the light.  As I stood there admiring my find, ecstatic that my agonizing wait had finally come to an end, a distressing noise began to pierce my euphoria and make its way to the fore of my conscious mind. 

The noise grew louder and closer.  Distressed, I stepped back and looked past the pedestal that had held my treasure and into the distance that stretched out before me.  What I saw struck terror in my heart.  There, in the distance, hurtling toward me at increasing speed was a giant lemon.  Horrified, I turned and ran.  As I ran, I heard the lemon crush the pedestal in the distance behind me.  I can't tell you how far or for how long I ran, just that no matter where I turned, no exit was in sight and the lemon was there on my heals.  I ran until my legs felt like lead and my lungs were about to burst.  Then, as I made one final turn, there in a phone booth on the side of the cave was The Fly.  He coolly eyed me as I ran past, lowered his shades, and, staring at me with piercing blue eyes, said, "It's no secret that the lemon's gaining from behind."  He then readjusted his shades and disappeared into the phone booth.  Able to run no more, I collapsed and rolled over just in time to see the lemon bearing down on me.  Just as I am about to meet my end, I awake and sit straight up in a cold sweat.  I can only guess what dreams are tormenting the remaining survivors.

Still shaken by the image of the giant lemon, I make my way to bed to try to get some rest.  I put my earbuds in my ears and pull up Pop on my iPod.  If the dreams ahead are dark, I might as well have something I can dance to......or at least something I can escape giant runaway fruit to.  "You can reach, but you can't grab it..."  Not yet, but in eight days victory will be mine.

NOLA Fly
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 04:56:03 PM by NOLA Fly »