Author Topic: 2 worst U2 albums are  (Read 3842 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: 2 worst U2 albums are
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2014, 03:03:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So do people's responses here confirm that U2 have had "two crap albums"? In which case, according to Bono, they should have thrown in the towel....
I'd say they still haven't had an album that has been truly bad; just ones I like more than others.
My least 2 favorites would probably be NLOTH and either Boy or October.

I consider behind and bomb to be 'crap'.

The 2nd half of behind especially is just dross in my opinion, and bomb is a turgid, uninspired clunky record.

Both records are full of dull MOR tracks and for me represent the nadir of the bands output, with very little in the way of redeeming features.

lucas.homem

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2014, 03:09:04 PM »
Three days ago I'd vote in HTDAAB and ATYCLB, but two things happened since then: I listened to both albums and NLOTH again.

NLOTH is awesome, but just when I listen to my adaptation of it, otherwise it's pure garbage with some great songs (No Line, MOS, Fez, WAS, Breathe and Cedars)...

ATYCLB is actually a good record for me. I'm happy I'm okay with this album again.

HTDAAB is uninspired, lazy and has bad mixing.

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2014, 03:30:14 PM »
Rattle & hum and October.

The studio tracks on HUM are fantastic rock songs and the spirit that was captured on OCT has never been replicated.

Three days ago I'd vote in HTDAAB and ATYCLB, but two things happened since then: I listened to both albums and NLOTH again.

NLOTH is awesome, but just when I listen to my adaptation of it, otherwise it's pure garbage with some great songs (No Line, MOS, Fez, WAS, Breathe and Cedars)...

ATYCLB is actually a good record for me. I'm happy I'm okay with this album again.

Are you a songwriter ? On what authority do you have to proclaim HTDAAB  is uninspired
with songs like SYCMOYO ,OSC,OOTS. Even the band admits HTDAAB contains some of their best material.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 03:44:56 PM by Parsons »

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2014, 03:41:05 PM »

Interesting that October cropped up so much here, it's one of my favourites , Gloria, Fire, Rejoice, With a Shout, can't thing of a poor track on it !

That's the problem. I can't think Of a track on it. Forgettable except Gloria, October, tomorrow.

Edgedisciple

2 worst U2 albums are
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2014, 03:50:38 PM »
Rattle & hum and October.

The studio tracks on HUM are fantastic rock songs and the spirit that was captured on OCT has never been replicated.

Are you a songwriter ? On what authority do you have to proclaim HTDAAB  is uninspired
with songs like SYCMOYO ,OSC,OOTS. Even the band admits HTDAAB contains some of their best material.
I guess I'll never understand all the hate that that album gets.

Offline sebastianIM

• Stateless
  • Until The End Of The World
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2014, 03:52:25 PM »

Care to share what is that "adaptation" about? I also listen to a modified version of it, with Crazy in another place on the tracklist, and with Winter replacing SUC and Boots.

To answer the original question, I have to say that, unlike most of the community, I really enjoy almost all the songs on HTDAAB, though I must admit that the album sounds lackluster as a whole.
My 2 least liked albums are probably October and Zooropa, because (imo) most of their songs are quite forgettable

lucas.homem

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2014, 04:01:25 PM »

I'm talking subjectively, of course, and I like some of the songs.

But I think it's uninspired because it hardly impresses me, you know, there's nothing different or special in it, more like an album that a computer would compose if we inserted a 'U2 00s algorithm' in it. And the arrangements of the songs are really poor and boring. So while Bono came up with some good melodies, the rest of the band merely completed it with anything they could do. It seems there is no effort in HTDAAB and almost everything is predictable and lazy.

And, for a rock and roll album, HTDAAB sounds bland and lost. Something old guys would believe they nailed it. Where's the energy?! Vertigo is a strong beginning, but then come that miserable intro of Miracle Drug, followed by SYCMIOYO... wut?! wtf!
I'd love the album if there were more Xanax and Wine and stuff like that.

Also, the mixing doesn't help...

lucas.homem

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2014, 04:04:27 PM »
Btw, seeing how Lucifer's Hands became a bonus track, apparently the band dislikes true rock songs.

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2014, 04:10:24 PM »

I'm talking subjectively, of course, and I like some of the songs.

But I think it's uninspired because it hardly impresses me, you know, there's nothing different or special in it, more like an album that a computer would compose if we inserted a 'U2 00s algorithm' in it. And the arrangements of the songs are really poor and boring. So while Bono came up with some good melodies, the rest of the band merely completed it with anything they could do. It seems there is no effort in HTDAAB and almost everything is predictable and lazy.

And, for a rock and roll album, HTDAAB sounds bland and lost. Something old guys would believe they nailed it. Where's the energy?! Vertigo is a strong beginning, but then come that miserable intro of Miracle Drug, followed by SYCMIOYO... wut?! wtf!
I'd love the album if there were more Xanax and Wine and stuff like that.

Also, the mixing doesn't help...
I guess they need to give their 9 Grammy awards back for their ROCKless , uninspired album.

Offline Don

• Babyface
  • Every Artist is a poet, every poet is a Thief
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2014, 04:19:21 PM »

Interesting that October cropped up so much here, it's one of my favourites , Gloria, Fire, Rejoice, With a Shout, can't thing of a poor track on it !

That's the problem. I can't think Of a track on it. Forgettable except Gloria, October, tomorrow.
So you like 3 tracks try listening again bet you'll find 3 more...

lucas.homem

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2014, 04:29:31 PM »

Care to share what is that "adaptation" about? I also listen to a modified version of it, with Crazy in another place on the tracklist, and with Winter replacing SUC and Boots.

I go with the following setlist:

Soon - Breathe - No Line - Get On Your Boots - Moment of Surrender - FEZ/Being Born - White As Snow - Cedars of Lebanon - Winter (linear)

*(You may add Magnificent after No Line if you want to...)

My thoughts:

Soon is a great opener. The title is funny and the song settles the atmosphere of the album. It really anticipates something magical, more like a prelude, not exactly the real beginning, so when the drums of Breathe hit you, it's knockout! But Breathe is not the real NLOTH yet, but it electrifies you for what is to come.

No Line is when we properly meet the album! I love it. And it keeps the rock energy of Breathe.

I kept Boots because the chorus is true to the album too. There's something moroccan in that chorus... and 'let me in the sound'! I like this song. In my sequencing, Boots ends the rocker part of the album and lets the more meditative side come now that we're prepared.

MOS and FEZ are the climax of NLOTH, the emotional highs and everything the album tries to reach!

The last three songs are all reflections of different scenarios, driving us between light and dark with meditative qualities and unusual chord patterns. Winter is a beautiful and nostalgic ending!

That's the album I love!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 04:52:23 PM by lucas.homem »

lucas.homem

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2014, 04:33:16 PM »
I guess they need to give their 9 Grammy awards back for their ROCKless , uninspired album.

I don't listen to my music based on grammy awards. Actually, it's sad that their worst album is full of the trophies.

Offline Ledbetter

• Babyface
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2014, 06:20:19 PM »
October
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

The latter is easily the most overrated work they've ever done IMO. Few solid songs at the start but the second half is garbage. SOI is so much more consistent than either HTDAAB or NLOTH.

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2014, 06:33:07 PM »
October
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

The latter is easily the most overrated work they've ever done IMO. Few solid songs at the start but the second half is garbage. SOI is so much more consistent than either HTDAAB or NLOTH.

Man and a Women ,Crumbs , One step , Original of the species , Yahweh  garbage  ?

Really ?

Offline connorfin22

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2014, 06:51:57 PM »
October
No Line