Author Topic: What about a review by band member ?  (Read 1388 times)

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
What about a review by band member ?
« on: February 23, 2009, 02:01:12 AM »
...Instead of a review by song ?

Adam :
He had not been that up front since Pop. Some great riffs (MOS, GOYB, SUC, COL) and he's the one maintaining the structure of the song in Unknown Caller.

Bono :
Uses his whole range from song to song...very impressive. NLOTH sees him going more aggressive than he had been in years. On a few songs, he sounds as he's improvising, which is a trademark of his (Being Born, MOS). I'm not that convinced by the lyrics except for a few great lines & metaphors and I can see why some negative reviews pointed out to a bad lyric ruining a good song. That said, as english is not my native language, I can abstract and focus on the sound.

Edge :
He seems to enjoy himself on this record. We have a bunch of odd sounds but mostly Edge is..., well, naked. By that, I mean with no effect at all or very light (reverb). I wish he had used delay more but he's probably tired of it. On a personnal note, I'm not a fan of slide guitar so it's a bit frustrating that there's so much of it goin on but that's just me.

Larry :
I didn't expect Larry to be that...playful ! Electronic drum kit seems to allow him more freedom and he's definitely getting the best out of it.

U2 :
It is a very U2 album in the sense that I don't see anyone else playing most of this tunes. It sounds mature because there's nothing really new here (hell, they've been experimenting already !) but they seem to master their own craft. Sort of.
Every band member seems to have his moment of spotlight and sounds at ease with his instrument.
The most noticeable thing for me is that it is the most "written" U2 record ever. They seem to have spent a lot of time structuring the songs & harmonies.

I'm glad I am a U2 fan.

daveyg

Re: What about a review by band member ?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 09:04:43 AM »
I'll need to give it a few listens, but I was impressed by Adam's playing on this!

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 09:34:43 AM »
Bono - Oh those lyrics........please leave the prosaic behind. Vocally better, too many oh ohs though

Edge - Disappointing. Too much "old edge", lame solo on Breathe  I could play after a lesson or 2. The slide is a welcome relief, although some of that may be Danny Lanois. Backing vocals awesome as usual.

Adam - Better than the last couple of albums

Larry - This is Larry's album. He's definitely stepping out of his safety zone, without making something so complex that he can't play it night after night

As always with U2, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

While I may end  up liking NLOTH better than Pop, I still say that musically Pop was their most interesting album, and the last great album from a Bono's lyrics point of view

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 07:20:30 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Too much "old edge"

That is NEVER a bad thing!!!  ;)

I am still waiting for the real deal next week, haven't listened to anything yet...