Author Topic: Crystal Ballroom  (Read 2328 times)

Offline Yaro

• Stateless
  • Everything you know is wrong
Crystal Ballroom
« on: October 14, 2014, 10:04:26 AM »
“I need to tell you something really weird about this song,” Bono told the Irish Times. “It’s called The Crystal Ballroom, which used to be the name of McGonagles in South Anne Street [now knocked down]. A whole generation of Dubliners would go to the Crystal Ballroom for dances, and many couples first met there. My mother and father used to dance together in the Crystal Ballroom, so that song I just sang you, which hasn’t been released yet, is me imagining I’m on the stage of McGonagles with this new band I’m in called U2 – and we did play a lot of our important early gigs there. And I look out into the audience and I see my mother and father dancing romantically together to U2 on the stage.”

“I have just realised that my mother died 40 years ago yesterday, and here we are today playing our new album about Dublin, which is about my family and what happened to me as a teenager.

“My mother died when she was at her father’s funeral. She had a cerebral aneurysm. I was only 14. And in this song I am singing, “Everyone is here tonight, everyone but you.” And it’s me wanting to see my mother dance again in the Crystal Ballroom and for her to see what happened to her son.”

An Cat Dubh

Re: Crystal Ballroom
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 10:47:55 AM »
Inspiring stuff. And I think U2's best song since 1997.

Offline Yaro

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 11:34:15 AM »
Zoost :Inspiring stuff. And I think U2's best song since 1997.

I think this song is absolutely awesome..Hate to say it, but it should ve been a leading single..I listened to it today like 10x in row,cant get enough of it..It has this 70-ies like feel, yet with modern -cool-sound...I wish it was like 10 min long,lol...If the whole album sounded like this, U2 fans would go crazy all around the world,for the love of God.....just a great song,very unique..U2 fans get it...

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 11:42:16 AM »
I disliked this song when I heard it last week. Now I cannot get enough of it. Damn you U2, getting stuck in my head again ;)

Offline Delvis Crasho

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 12:58:57 PM »
Am I the only one that hears "A Freak Like Me" (from the Spider-Man musical) in the chorus?

Offline Jack

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 02:03:12 PM »
I like cb room it's a real strong song and I'm liking it more every time I hear it but I have to say lucifers hand is the best song on cd from U2 since atomic bomb

Offline sebastianIM

• Stateless
  • Until The End Of The World
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 02:04:54 PM »
There's still room for another single, isn't it??

Offline tommyboy6913

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 08:18:25 PM »
Yes, both songs sound great. I think I prefer CB slightly over LH. These 2 new tracks proves to all the Haters that U2 can still deliver unique, forward-thinking music. I really like the direction the band is heading in and I expect their next album SOE to be a little more experimental.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 06:26:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yes, both songs sound great. I think I prefer CB slightly over LH. These 2 new tracks proves to all the Haters disappointed that U2 fans that they can still deliver unique, forward-thinking music. I really like the direction the band is heading in and I expect their next album SOE to be a little more experimental.

Fixed.

Im sure I speak for a lot of people here that hate was not the word. I never hated them for what they released from 1997 onwards, just disappointed. Lucifers Hands and Crystal Ballroom are an amazing surprise, as is 90% of SOI at this stage of their career.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 06:32:44 PM »
I'm still shocked that this isn't on the album.

Perhaps they didn't like the flow of the album with said song in it or something.

Offline Jswallow

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 05:48:40 AM »
Am I the only one that hears "A Freak Like Me" (from the Spider-Man musical) in the chorus?
I thought that asoon as i heard it,, Great tune !!

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
  • Are you tough enough to be kind?
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 06:44:06 AM »
Reminded me so much of "Reflektor" by Arcade Fire. Loved it instantly. I can see why it didn't make the album, though. It seems like it would be a misfit, musically, and not sure I'll love it as much on repeated listens like a Cedarwood Road or This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now (both songs that had to grow on me).

Offline Yaro

• Stateless
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 12:55:14 PM »
I'm still shocked that this isn't on the album.
Perhaps they didn't like the flow of the album with said song in it or something.

Well if I had to throw my two cents- I think they knew they had to put something extra or ,,really special" on 2nd CD (Deluxe) or people wouldn't be interested in it ..and those 2 songs (Crystal Ballroom and Lucifer's...) are really good,and also selling point..Acoustic versions(other stuff on 2nd CD) alone wouldn't make it that interesting...

Offline macmango

• Stateless
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 09:13:28 PM »
To add to the original post from Yaro, which included Bono quotes from The Irish Times, I wanted to mention the Dave Fanning show from 11 Oct., '14, as he continued to cover U2 and the physical release of SOI.

About The Crystal Ballroom turned McGonagles, Bono told Fanning, "I just played with the idea that my mother and father were there when U2 were playing those gigs.  I thought it was an interesting idea, that we are the ghosts of our parents love.  We are what's left behind, when they disappear."

Here's the Dave Fanning link (11 October, 2014):