Author Topic: First week sales-25.000 copies..:-(  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Yaro

• Stateless
  • Everything you know is wrong
First week sales-25.000 copies..:-(
« on: October 17, 2014, 12:20:46 PM »
As always with new releases-first week's sales are usually the biggest..It is predicted that the new album will sell around 25,000 copies first week....To me, even with the free apple download, its kind of disappointing..The whole country ?? C,mon people :)...Considering  I went to see them last ( 360 show) and 90.000  people showed up paid on average $ 55 a ticket..and over 1.5 million people came out and see them in US alone..Deluxe sells for $ 14.99 (BestBuy)...totally disappointing..where is the U2 army (of fans)..?!!

Offline centuryhouse

• Stateless
  • Check out my music: THE LIGHTNING WALTZ on YouTube
Re: First week sales-25.000 copies..:-(
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 01:06:27 PM »
Not sure where you are, but consider that here in the US the vinyl was delayed and many stores didn't even have the CD for sale.

But yeah....not like the old days.

Offline Yaro

• Stateless
  • Everything you know is wrong
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 01:22:02 PM »
Not sure where you are, but consider that here in the US the vinyl was delayed and many stores didn't even have the CD for sale.
But yeah....not like the old days.

Im in US...these are US sales...
Article : U2's 'Songs of Innocence' May Sell 25K in First Week of Retail Release :Industry forecasters suggest the album might sell around 25,000 copies in the U.S., in the week ending Oct. 19. That 25,000-unit figure is lower than the album's forecast a week ago. On Oct. 9, based on pre-orders alone, sources projected that Songs of Innocence might move 70,000 in its first week of commercial availability.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 02:21:41 PM »
Will struggle to do a million worldwide.

That said for an album given away on iTunes and in the current climate, that wouldn't be a terrible result.

I am sure the band know this and they may very well be set up for a big result with the follow up, especially if it is even better than this record.

The 26m downloads and however many listens is bound to win them new and lapsed fans...

It may very well just be all a part of the longer game, their profile is high, good bad or indifferent and if they strike whilst the iron is hot with the follow up it may do very well.

Anyway the charts are broken as Bono said and let's face it they don't need the money, who really cares how many they sell, it's how good it is and what their loyal fans think of it that matters most.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 02:33:59 PM »
It is still very odd to me that the album is so hard to find in the US. I just picked up my vinyl that finally came in yesterday to the largest independent record store in the city. It was $29.99.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 02:34:29 PM »
By releasing the album this way, it essentially makes them instantly relevant and makes the numbers irrelevant. They don't matter.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 02:34:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
As always with new releases-first week's sales are usually the biggest..It is predicted that the new album will sell around 25,000 copies first week....To me, even with the free apple download, its kind of disappointing..The whole country ?? C,mon people :)...Considering  I went to see them last ( 360 show) and 90.000  people showed up paid on average $ 55 a ticket..and over 1.5 million people came out and see them in US alone..Deluxe sells for $ 14.99 (BestBuy)...totally disappointing..where is the U2 army (of fans)..?!!

People download. And the album's been out for more than a month. Compare that to the 26 million downloads they've got so far.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 02:35:13 PM »
Retailers got the nark with them?

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 02:43:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
By releasing the album this way, it essentially makes them instantly relevant and makes the numbers irrelevant. They don't matter.

That is a nice and tidy summation and I'll think on that instead. :)

macfoley

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 04:34:30 PM »
Didn't know the week was already over. Thought it was still Friday here in the UK...

;)

Offline AchtungPop

• Staring at the Sun
  • Walk On
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 04:41:34 PM »
Well it was given away free...

If it wasn't it probably would've been about 250,000-300,000. The free album allowed it to reach way more people. Doubt it would've reached NLOTH's 484,000 and a 0% chance it even came half as close to the HTDAAB 840,000 with album sales still dropping...and why it doesn't matter.

Plus, Songs of Experience might be coming in a year and will not be free.

howyousawtheworld

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 04:53:26 PM »
Why are you sitting in your seat long after the cricket match has ended for the day?

The whole idea of giving it away for free on itunes and being downloaded by 26 million listeners with 81 million listeners surely makes tracking sales and chart positions rather defunct doesn't it?

The charts are dead. Long live the charts. U2 merely drove home that matter of fact.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 04:55:32 PM by howyousawtheworld »

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 06:56:43 PM »
I don't give a s***.

I freakin love the album. My U2 fandom is back on. U2 are back.

This release wasn't about traditional album sales at all. It was about U2 putting their hearts and souls into a set of songs for a long time and seeing it well received amongst its fan base. Yes its probably also made them new fans as a bonus, and the free release backlash threw them into the spotlight spectacularly. Everyone surely understands that.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 06:59:04 PM by Zoost »