Author Topic: what do these lines from SOI mean?  (Read 3106 times)

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
what do these lines from SOI mean?
« on: October 18, 2014, 08:48:39 AM »
Summer I was fearlessness now I speak into an answer phone (from EBW)

machine (from Iris)

all the green and all the gold (from Cedarwood Road)

like St. Francis covered in light (from SLABT)

Offline Pride

• Numb
  • North Dakota is best Dakota
Re: what do these lines from SOI mean?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 09:18:32 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Summer I was fearlessness now I speak into an answer phone (from EBW)

machine (from Iris)

all the green and all the gold (from Cedarwood Road)

like St. Francis covered in light (from SLABT)
I really don't know about the rest, but I think the CR one might have been "All the greed and all the gold", because that makes a bit more sense.

meximofo

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 11:56:19 AM »
I'll try to give a short answer, you can check the threads for the respective songs in the lyrics section, where other people explained it better:

1) Summer I was fearlessness, now I'm speaking into an answer phone
During summer, he was able to talk with his partner, face to face, now he's reduced to leave messages to a cold machine, the relation is in trouble.

2) Man, machine
This is a reference of a Kraftwerk album with the same name. Bono mentioned that this is the first present he gave to Ali when they started dating.

3) All the green and all the gold
A reference to the Irish, perhaps? Green and gold are their national colors. That could mean that Cedarwood Road is like a small universe containing the "Irish essence", the good and bad.

4) Like St. Francis covered in light
Given that the song is about a hypocrite priest molesting children, that may just be how the priest sees himself, pure and "covered in light", still not realizing the damage he has done to the children and their families.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 06:02:34 PM »
thanks

Offline Bogeystar

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 06:50:27 AM »
Green and gold = money.
He's referenced before in Spanish Eyes, "across the world for green and gold, but it's those Spanish eyes that get me home." I.e., leaving to make money in a band, but coming home to his wife.

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 09:35:30 PM »
I see the green and gold as tying back into the trees along Cedarwood Road (i.e., tree/leaf colors, fitting in with the cherry blossom tree imagery). But whether Bono's thinking of trees, money, Ireland, or something else, it seems to me the essential point is that the line clearly is set up to parallel the next one. Somehow the green and the gold connect symbolically with "the hurt you hide and the joy you hold" -- even if just in the sense of encompassing the broad spectrum of possibilities in life. And the green, gold, hurt, joy, and "foolish pride" all occur "on Cedarwood Road" -- the first three lines of the chorus find a commonality in the fourth one.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 05:51:52 AM »
What about this line?

The sea knows where are the rocks and drowning is no sin.

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 11:27:58 PM »
What about this line?

The sea knows where are the rocks and drowning is no sin.

The rest of the bridge gives insight: "You know where my heart is/The same place that yours has been/We know that we fear to win/And so we end before we begin/Before we begin." The repetition of "know" gives us a parallel structure that suggests some level of (not necessarily direct) correspondence between "the sea," "you," and "we"; between "the rocks," "where my heart is," and "we fear to win"; and between "drowning is no sin," "the same place that yours has been," and "so we end before we begin."  With this taken into account, the sea provides an illustration of what the couple is going through. They face "the rocks" of always fearing defeat, which might keep them safe but also keeps them from getting anywhere; and it is not "a sin" to rather step out and face the possibility of "drowning" (i.e., failure) that comes with action but can be avoided through paralysis.

The use of the word "sin" obviously suggests some religious implications as well. You could debatably argue that "the sea" is God, who understands our weaknesses from inaction ("the rocks" -- for fellow Anglicans, "what we have left undone") and failures from action ("drowning" -- "what we have done"). I'm not convinced enough to make the association of the sea with God, but even so, the religious language is there.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 01:48:13 PM »
Green and gold = money.
He's referenced before in Spanish Eyes, "across the world for green and gold, but it's those Spanish eyes that get me home." I.e., leaving to make money in a band, but coming home to his wife.

That makes sense but I'm not sure how the concept of money fits in with the rest of the lyrics in Cedarwood Road.

Offline MacJoost

• Refugee
  • Mother, am I still your son?
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 02:13:42 PM »
Green & gold: catholic  vs protestant

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 06:00:49 PM »