Author Topic: 1 month into of Songs Of Innocence, what has happened to the album for you?  (Read 7651 times)

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
I posted this series awhile back for NLOTH, though it's a little off for a month, here's where I am at...

Initial impressions while listening to the record over the worst sound system imaginable at work, was oh my God... they've done it again. Now being one month into the record I am really convinced that this is Pop's and Achtung's baby. Meaning it is the hardcore fan's album (Pop) combined with the commercial fan's album (AB). From that first listen I new the record was big, now a little over a month in I realize this is truly the best album of this millennium for U2. It can easily compete with the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby (though to be truthful AB is still my favorite). The second disc of the physical release just elevated the album above everything the mainstream today could offer. Needless to say, 1 month in, I am thrilled.

Track by Track:

The Miracle: I had an initial liking of the miracle but also caution as I knew U2 never releases the best song as a single, I find myself blasting this one though now when I'm home alone or thru my head phones at the gym.

Every Breaking Wave: Slowly this has become my favorite... it is tied with Song for Someone

California: I love it, but do feel it is missing a little something that it will find live.

Song For Someone: my initial fav, now tied.

Iris: a deep piece for anyone who has had that kind of loss.

Volcano: least favorite... but growing....

Raised By Wolves: A great track, but it's acoustic is way better

Cedarwood Road: The biggest grower, initially I felt like I'd listen to it once in awhile, now I am so hoping very much they play it live!

SLABT: An initial fav, and still is, the alternate perspective mix is genius and I can't think offhand of any band that has done something like that.

TIYCRM: Feels like its off the War Album, a good but not great album

The Troubles: I think we are all in agreement this is one their greatest songs ever, I'd even go as far as saying it is the best Last Song of their entire career for a records last song.

I'll also go on to say I had no idea the album was coming, I always think of the next U2 album as one year away from whatever U2 says, this album is going to be a huge part of my life for the upcoming year and I imagine beyond. Thank you U2!

Offline TheEnd

• Refugee
My first impressions were that the second half (volcano onwards) was amazing and the first half was merely good.

My opinion of the second half has remained the same but my opinion of the first half has improved quite a bit, particularly California and Iris.

Top tier U2 album for me.

An Cat Dubh

The first three songs are very good songs, and I still having a tough time elevating them the status of the rest of the album. I think they are better than most songs from the last three albums though.

From Song For Someone onwards, every song is just fabulous to me. I really liked them on first listen and they have actually gotten better with every listen. My favorites have change for sure, but that happens with every U2 album in the first year or so for me.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
Initially the last three songs were easily my favorites.

However since then, Miracle has become a favorite, as has California (which originally was a bottom tier song for me). I actually lost a lot of interest in Raised by Wolves, despite how good a song it may seem. Song for Someone meanwhile has navigated to the bottom of the pile.

But overall, every song remains fairly strong for me. Even with Song for Someone on the bottom of my list, it still is a good album track, and that goes to show just how strong this album is overall.

Offline danlougee

• Stateless
  • Midnight is where the day begins
I think Troubles would be in third place for last song after "40" and All I Want Is You.

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
After THE MIRACLE I can listen to the album right to the end.............. Switch Miracle with Crystal Ballroom and I'd be able to listen to it from begining to end, but really no complaints from me I'm still enjoying the album

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
Still can't stop listening.....awaiting SoI2 then I'll give it the same treatment.....then my review.

Offline 2_Shots_Of_Lemon

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • The Banks they're like cathedrals...
I can listen to and enjoy just about every second of every song. Well done boys...

Offline achtungx

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
Miracle - I can take it or leave it.  Have just heard it too much. Thought it was just ok upon 1st listen. Now, I like it but think it's overplayed.

Every Breaking Wave - Feels too over-produced. I thought that when 1st heard it.  After a few hundred listens I thought it was perfect. After a thousand listens and seeing it on that Italian show, I go back to thinking that it's over-produced. Still one of my favorites on the album though.

California - Another that feel too over-produced. I thought that when 1st heard it. Started to really like it, only to love the Acoustic Session version more.

Song for Someone - Loved it upon 1st listen. Still love it. For those of us who know and love U2, this is one of those songs that feels "too easy," like U2 could do this in their sleep. We might be too dismissive. For those who aren't as aware, it comes across as amazing. The positive feedback on Twitter from non-fans re: the Graham Norton performance was outstanding.

Iris - Upon 1st listen, I thought it was good not great. Now I still agree with that initial thought. Not much of a chorus.

Volcano - 1st listen: loved the R.E.M. bass, thought the song was too over-produced. Song has grown on me

Raised By Wolves - I didn't like and still don't like the weird breathing effect. Wasn't thrilled with the song at 1st. After awhile i got geeked up by it. Now I skip it, just because of the breathing effect. Otherwise I like it. Just can't separate what I hate about it from what I like.

Cedarwood Road - This is a grower. Seemed a bit muddled/heavy handed at 1st listen. Liked the performance of it on BBC2. Solid.

SLABT - Loved it on 1st listen. Now I find it hard to listen to. I still love it, but the serious nature of the lyrics, no matter the interpretation, makes it tough for repeat listening. Don't know if that makes sense. Still wish that the instrumental section at the end would've continued longer

TIYCRM - At 1st listen, I thought that it sounded half-assed. Now, I find layers to it that I didn't before. I'm less likely to skip over it than I was before. I guess it's a grower.

The Troubles - From the 1st listen it seemed to be special, and has retained that specialness. Just wish the guitar solo lasted longer.

As a sidebar - Crystal Ballroom made me not even listen to SoI for an entire week just because I find it so much better than anything on disc 1.

For my staff review I gave the album an 8.5 rating. I might revise that to an 8 now (after listening to the album exclusively for a month - maybe listener fatigue set in?), and give it an 8.5 if we include Lucifer's Hands and Crystal Ballroom.

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
That being said if you think a lot of it was over produced, did you simply love the acoustic sessions track?

An Cat Dubh

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Miracle - I can take it or leave it.  Have just heard it too much. Thought it was just ok upon 1st listen. Now, I like it but think it's overplayed.

Every Breaking Wave - Feels too over-produced. I thought that when 1st heard it.  After a few hundred listens I thought it was perfect. After a thousand listens and seeing it on that Italian show, I go back to thinking that it's over-produced. Still one of my favorites on the album though.

California - Another that feel too over-produced. I thought that when 1st heard it. Started to really like it, only to love the Acoustic Session version more.

Song for Someone - Loved it upon 1st listen. Still love it. For those of us who know and love U2, this is one of those songs that feels "too easy," like U2 could do this in their sleep. We might be too dismissive. For those who aren't as aware, it comes across as amazing. The positive feedback on Twitter from non-fans re: the Graham Norton performance was outstanding.

Iris - Upon 1st listen, I thought it was good not great. Now I still agree with that initial thought. Not much of a chorus.

Volcano - 1st listen: loved the R.E.M. bass, thought the song was too over-produced. Song has grown on me

Raised By Wolves - I didn't like and still don't like the weird breathing effect. Wasn't thrilled with the song at 1st. After awhile i got geeked up by it. Now I skip it, just because of the breathing effect. Otherwise I like it. Just can't separate what I hate about it from what I like.

Cedarwood Road - This is a grower. Seemed a bit muddled/heavy handed at 1st listen. Liked the performance of it on BBC2. Solid.

SLABT - Loved it on 1st listen. Now I find it hard to listen to. I still love it, but the serious nature of the lyrics, no matter the interpretation, makes it tough for repeat listening. Don't know if that makes sense. Still wish that the instrumental section at the end would've continued longer

TIYCRM - At 1st listen, I thought that it sounded half-assed. Now, I find layers to it that I didn't before. I'm less likely to skip over it than I was before. I guess it's a grower.

The Troubles - From the 1st listen it seemed to be special, and has retained that specialness. Just wish the guitar solo lasted longer.

As a sidebar - Crystal Ballroom made me not even listen to SoI for an entire week just because I find it so much better than anything on disc 1.

For my staff review I gave the album an 8.5 rating. I might revise that to an 8 now (after listening to the album exclusively for a month - maybe listener fatigue set in?), and give it an 8.5 if we include Lucifer's Hands and Crystal Ballroom.

What do you think of the acoustic version of Wolves? No breathing. Just pure power. It is easily the best thing I have heard from U2 since Pop.

As for Crystal Ballroom. Stunning. I agree with you.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
Miracle - poor choice as a first single. I thought it was an 'ok' song when I first heard it and that hasn't changed.
EBW - good song. Could make a decent single.
California - one of those songs I can't get into. Weak chorus and lyrics for the chorus "All I know and all I need to know, Is there is no, Yeah, there is no end to love." The ohh ohh ohh's don't help either. also don't like Bono singing in the high register.
Song For Someone - U2 does Coldplay. The sappiest U2 song ever. I actually don't mind the music and the verses, but the chorus (and even the title) are so sappy it ends up as an automatic skip for me now.
Iris - decent song but hasn't grown much on me
Volcano - didn't like it at first but it's starting to grow on me
Raised by Wolves - good song. Interesting musically and good lyrics but not a strong chorus.
Cedarwood Road - Loved it at first and still do. U2's best 'rock song' since Pop.
Sleep Like A Baby Tonight - Great song again. 90's U2 all over this one. Strong lyrics and melody.
TIWYCRMN - The biggest grower. Wasn't a fan at first but I am now.
The Troubles - One of their best songs in a long time. Exploring new ground. Should be a single.

Crystal Ballroom - Why wasn't this on the single album? Could be a big single but doubt they will release it. Great pop chorus.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:55:46 PM by So Cruel »

Offline achtungx

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
That being said if you think a lot of it was over produced, did you simply love the acoustic sessions track?

The only Acoustic Session track that I loved was California, and I thought RBV was good except for Bono's voice. What I didn't like about the Acoustic Sessions was Bono's voice was too high in the mix and too rough. Thankfully his voice has sounded a lot better and better mixed in the recent promos.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 02:00:15 PM by achtungx »

Offline ahmadsquad

• Babyface
When I first listened to it, I thought the album was good, but a little too sonically homogenous. The songs that I liked most were Song for Someone and Raised by Wolves. I didn't like Every Breaking Wave that much, and I thought This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now was forgettable. I thought the second half was stronger than the first half. Darker, too.

The album has been on heavy rotation this month, along with Spoon's latest album, They Want My Soul--a really good album, BTW--and Underworld's remastered Dubnobasswithmyheadman. I also tried to get into Thom Yorke's new album, but I've grown sick of his marble-mouthed singing, his aping of other artists like Flying Lotus and Burial, and the general miserableness of his music.

Sorry, back to my impressions of SoI a month in.

Miracle - A decent lead single, and I think it's even better live.
EBW - Overall, I think it's my least favorite song. I find the album version a bit cloying. I think the acoustic version really elevates the chorus, though.
California - This song grew from 'meh' to 'pretty cool' for me around week 2 or 3. I had a dream of driving through California one night, and I think this song inspired my brain.
Song for Someone - I know Bono said the song is about falling in love for the first time, but after the first week, I thought this song made more sense in a religious context. The light that shouldn't go out reminds me of the spiritual that goes "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine." There are several other lines I could mention, but that's for another thread, I think.
Iris - Beautiful, Unforgettable Fire-like U2. I really got into this song after listening to it on headphones.
Volcano - It's alright. I don't think my opinion has changed much.
Raised By Wolves - I think my excitement for the song has gone down a bit since the first listen, but I still like it a lot. The acoustic version is great.
Cedarwood Road - Another one that really grew on me. I think reading "North Side Story" really helped me appreciate the lyrics. And yet another great acoustic version.
Sleep Like a Baby - Those synths, man. They had me the moment I heard those synths. And even though it has heavy lyrics, the melody in the chorus is rather playful.
TIWYCRMN - Probably the song that grew on me the most. That first week, I regularly skipped it--mostly because of the corn-maze organ. But the chorus is really, really catchy, and that won me over. Still not my favorite on the album, but it's up there.
The Troubles - At first, I couldn't help but think this was a b-side to Danger Mouse & Daniele Luppi's "Rome." But by the second and third listen, I thought it was quite amazing.

Overall, a really good album. I'm not quite ready to rank it yet, but I think it has the potential to crack my top five U2 albums.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
My first impressions were that the second half (volcano onwards) was amazing and the first half was merely good.

My opinion of the second half has remained the same but my opinion of the first half has improved quite a bit.

This, pretty much.