Poll

Which of the "two night" U2 shows for their 2015 tour would you prefer?

"loud, explosive rock & roll kind of event"
74 (49%)
"acoustic arrangements of some of the songs, and kind of present those songs in a much more intimate way"
2 (1.3%)
both
39 (25.8%)
neither, I'd like a mix of rock and acoustic on each night
36 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 140

Author Topic: Which of the "two night" U2 shows for their 2015 tour would you prefer?  (Read 9972 times)

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • I’m born again to the latest sound
Re: Which of the "two night" U2 shows for their 2015 tour would you prefer?
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 08:38:15 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Contrast is a good thing - so a rock n roll show that has gentler acoustic moments would be the call here for me.

I see no problem at all with a zootv type b stage out in the middle of the floor being used for the acoustic numbers...

There you go! We agree again! ;)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 09:10:28 AM »
Contrast is a good thing - so a rock n roll show that has gentler acoustic moments would be the call here for me.

I see no problem at all with a zootv type b stage out in the middle of the floor being used for the acoustic numbers...

There you go! We agree again! ;)

Peace and Harmony....... For now!  ;)

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 09:55:23 AM »
Sorry, but I think this 2-show thing is ridiculous. Just do a better job of mixing things up from night to night.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 10:12:35 AM »
I would see both for sure. I think the 'acoustic' show will be a mix of acoustic/piano based numbers and probably some deeper cuts.

Offline Fabio

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 10:24:13 AM »
IMO will be acoustic in part. Rumors about tour location confirm this.
I remember acoustic set in Zooropa tour. Angel of Harlem, Stay, Satellite of love...
I was a child...  :'(

Offline UnknownCaller98

• Numb
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 10:44:08 AM »
It would take something special to convince me that the acoustic show would be worth seeing. Only if they perform something really rare would I bother going.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 02:43:41 PM »
Let's be honest, who here would skip the acoustic gig? I would pick the traditional U2 show over acoustic all day long but I would still get a ticket to acoustic in a heartbeat. Particularly as a fan too young to have witnessed the extraordinary 90's shows, it would be a thrill and privilege to see something they've never attempted before.

And for what it's worth, I can't see a show leaning too heavily to delicate orchestral sets. This is U2 and as Bono says, where there's grief, there is rage swiftly following it.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 02:57:00 PM »
Let's be honest, who here would skip the acoustic gig? I would pick the traditional U2 show over acoustic all day long but I would still get a ticket to acoustic in a heartbeat. Particularly as a fan too young to have witnessed the extraordinary 90's shows, it would be a thrill and privilege to see something they've never attempted before.

And for what it's worth, I can't see a show leaning too heavily to delicate orchestral sets. This is U2 and as Bono says, where there's grief, there is rage swiftly following it.

True. I'd do both if I could swing it. Actually, I'd MAKE a way to swing it!

Offline esperaga

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 09:02:35 PM »
I'll tell you what I'd prefer. Any U2 concert at all but with the sound turned down.

Their concerts are too loud. My hearing became noticeably, long-term worse after Montreal during the Vertigo tour. Even outside, in Moncton during the last tour, there were points when my hearing flat-lined.  And not just me, it happened to my wife as well.

So U2, you have such beautiful music. Can you please turn the volume down so that fans can hear it a little better?

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2014, 04:44:02 PM »
Wow, I'm surprised the "acoustic arrangement" night got any votes.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2014, 04:56:42 PM »
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

It’s unlikely that most of us will ever be able to take a band containing a singer named Bono Vox as seriously as an artist like Young. That’s before you even get to The Edge, a man who would look entirely ludicrous if he wasn’t stood next to Bono at all times. Some believe he was named because of his ‘edgy’ style, although this seems unlikely given that he used that same Rolling Stone interview to say that he likes Cage The Elephant but thinks Neutral Milk Hotel are “strange hippy stuff.”

Neil Young?! Neutral Milk Hotel?! What gives w/ these people? Talk about pretentious!!!!

"Still, if U2 were to use their acoustic shows to embrace a greater sense of spontaneity and vulnerability, it could be just what they need to break away from the stereotype that’s grown around them for bombastic rock."

Clearly this guy knows little about U2. How many songs must we list to make the point? GRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

I like some of the COMMENTS though!

What do you all think?

meximofo

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2014, 09:06:44 PM »
^ I read that article... I want those minutes of my life back. I love some of the comments, though:
You guys are such bloody hacks now, it would be funny if it wasn't so bloody hypocritical and pompous! And then you slag U2 off for being pompous?!?! Pathetic, as always.

NME.....'The Sun' of the music journalism world.

One more:
Er, U2 are renowned in most of the music world for pulling off one of the most successful reinventions in rock & roll history (Achtung Baby, which was basically doing a Kid A before doing a Kid A was a thing, only horny and sexed-up). Also, I for one happen to take them just as seriously as "artists" like Neil Young (who's also amazing), just so you're aware. Don't make such ridiculous assumptions. Good on you for at least attempting to be constructive with your pathological U2 hate. PS... why do people always use The Joshua Tree as an example of a U2 record they actually like? Have you actually heard any of the other records (would've thought AB, Zooropa or Pop would've been more up NME's alley)? Anyway, can't wait for the tour - no matter what they end up doing...

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2014, 09:45:08 PM »
Yeah, LOVE the comments!

Even those that read NME can discern the total bias of the blogger; it's so blatant. Do you think the blog post could be retribution for Edge's NMH Coachella comment? The author even references NMH. If so, Go Edge!  :-*

meximofo

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2014, 09:53:24 PM »
Yeah, LOVE the comments!

Even those that read NME can discern the total bias of the blogger; it's so blatant. Do you think the blog post could be retribution for Edge's NMH Coachella comment? The author even references NMH. If so, Go Edge!  :-*
Yeah, I got the feeling that just because he didn't like Edge's comments on the "cool, hipster" bands he loved he talked trash like that. Besides, if I remember correctly, Edge at the end said something nice about NMH.

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2014, 10:01:59 PM »
Who are we kidding?  We want our cake & to eat it too.  We'll be going to both shows because U2 is the crack cocaine of rock music.  We can never have too much.  It's the closest thing in life to ODing without suffering the consequences.
 ;) ;)