Poll

Which of the "two night" U2 shows for their 2015 tour would you prefer?

"loud, explosive rock & roll kind of event"
74 (49%)
"acoustic arrangements of some of the songs, and kind of present those songs in a much more intimate way"
2 (1.3%)
both
39 (25.8%)
neither, I'd like a mix of rock and acoustic on each night
36 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 140

Author Topic: Which of the "two night" U2 shows for their 2015 tour would you prefer?  (Read 9970 times)

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
Re: Which of the "two night" U2 shows for their 2015 tour would you prefer?
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2014, 10:16:17 PM »
Both.  I am going to end up spending way more than I wanted to on this tour.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2014, 11:01:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Who are we kidding?  We want our cake & to eat it too.  We'll be going to both shows because U2 is the crack cocaine of rock music.  We can never have too much.  It's the closest thing in life to ODing without suffering the consequences.
 ;) ;)

Amen!

And this album is smack for the ears!

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2014, 06:18:50 PM »
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!
"Still, if U2 were to use their acoustic shows to embrace a greater sense of spontaneity and vulnerability, it could be just what they need to break away from the stereotype thats grown around them for bombastic rock."

Clearly this guy knows little about U2. How many songs must we list to make the point? GRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

I like some of the COMMENTS though!

What do you all think?

Perhaps he hates U2 so much that he's only encouraging them to do the acoustic night because he knows that people don't really want that.

Offline jdoyle

• Babyface
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2014, 07:41:06 PM »
Well it would be the rock set for me every time. That is U2 live at their best. But each show needs some light and shade. All loud rock might just be a bit too much. So I am not too keen on the idea.

It's clever though. They may get double the ticket revenue from some fans who want to see both shows.

Will they have any sort of discount tickets again? That was great. The second time I saw U2 360 I brought the whole family, wife and two kids and sat behind the stage. All for $140 and it was the best night.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2014, 07:10:58 PM »
I'm hoping they re-think their acoustic night plans and instead give us more rare songs, deep album cuts, and never been played before songs.  Varying setlists each night would be great.

The tour should be about the songs.  #SetlistOverStageShow

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2014, 09:22:55 AM »
If they do go on an acoustic tour, it very likely will be a chamber-pop theater style affair, with extra musicians. The good thing there, is that classical musicians are well trained, and can learn material quickly, so with the right musical director (the person who creates the arrangements and basically holds the show together) it can be a fruitful endeavour.

Also, "some of the songs" means a partially acoustic show, so you could have both sides of your bread buttered.

If I go, I'd choose the acoustic nights, as I'm bored by the usual workhorses, plus there's a chance for them to be slightly more adventurous in their song choices too.

Playing with some classical musicians (like the EBW arrangement) might be interesting perhaps for a couple songs, but not a whole night of music. 

Plus hearing the old warhorses (Pride, NYD, I still haven't found...) in the classical style would feel like a watered-down U2 (Muzac/elevator/dept.store music) in which there are already a bunch of artists out there who have released CDs covering U2 with classical arrangements. 

Either way, U2 will probably play the same old hits because they think that is what the audience wants. 

However, they don't realize that they are like the Beatles to us, and we'd love to hear Mofo, Exit, Acrobat, Dirty Day and other rarely-if ever-played songs...  just like Beatles' fans would've loved to hear something like "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey" :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 02:46:40 PM by andrewau2 »

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2014, 04:11:23 PM »
I wonder if people who had a hard time getting tickets or can only afford to go to one show will be upset if they end up at the "acoustic" night.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2014, 04:52:16 PM »
 :-*All I want is the U2 I have come to know and love over the past 25 years

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2014, 05:34:09 PM »
One person's real rock show is another person's greatest hits jukebox show.

Not all of us go to a dozen shows a tour and download every bootlegged concert. Some songs I've never heard live, but some people on the forums would be rolling their eyes and using those songs for toilet breaks. Use a bottle and a well placed hose, people! Not that I would ever do that. Ahem.

This isn't about making U2 interesting for us... it's about making U2 interesting for U2. They need to do something different for their own sake. Maybe physically as much as mentally? But listening to the bonus SoI acoustic tracks, I don't know if I'd want to hear that for 90 minutes. As a segue, yes, absolutely, but the best U2 concerts have always mixed up the tempo and flow. 

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2014, 07:22:41 AM »
One person's real rock show is another person's greatest hits jukebox show.

Exactly.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2014, 07:25:58 AM »
Some songs really do fit the acoustic format better than others.  Raised by Wolves, a brilliant song is an example of one that is not so good acoustically. Sometimes you can't make it on your own or Stuck in a moment are examples of songs that work really well acoustically. So the sets would have to be chosen carefully, and there should be very little overlap between the two nights.

olimar

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2014, 11:31:03 AM »
Assuming that the two nights will be "loud" and "accoustic" (Im not sure they will personally), I dont see why they cant just do 2/3rds "loud" and 1/3rd "accoustic" each night. Not dissimilar to what they have done on other tours in the past. Instead of spreading it across two nights, in two different shows, and compelling people to go to both.
That way, if someone chooses to go to two nights running, they get twice as many "loud" and twice as many "accoustic", which would suit any fan going to two nights, whereas those who can only afford one night get a good balance.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2014, 12:17:45 PM »
#1 : "Innocence" - 10 songs from earlier in the career, 5 big hits from 90's-00's (Beautiful Day, Elevation, Vertigo, Boots, One), and a 8 from SOI

#2 : "Experience" - 10 songs from 90's-00's, 8 from SOI, and 5 big hits from the 80's (WTSHNN, ISHFWILF, WOWY, Bad, Pride)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2014, 01:24:57 PM »
#1 : "Innocence" - 10 songs from earlier in the career, 5 big hits from 90's-00's (Beautiful Day, Elevation, Vertigo, Boots, One), and a 8 from SOI

#2 : "Experience" - 10 songs from 90's-00's, 8 from SOI, and 5 big hits from the 80's (WTSHNN, ISHFWILF, WOWY, Bad, Pride)

That's probably the closest to what I'm picturing them doing.  And when you look at it that way, you're essentially only swapping out 5 songs each night.

That said, it pains me to see 90's and 00's grouped together like that.  But that's just me.

Offline weinerdog

• Stateless
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2014, 05:55:14 PM »
I love U2, but c'mon...the whole different 'experience' thing is a bunch of talk. How many tours have some of us wished for jam-band type variety in their setlists? It ain't happening.

They are roped into 80-90% of the setlist due to two things - the scope of their production and the premium price of some of their tickets. You think Mr. and Mrs. casual fan are gonna spend $300-$500+ on a pair of tickets and not expect to hear all the hits?