Author Topic: U2 to perform at Kroq almost acoustic Christmas  (Read 13756 times)

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
  • What are the feelings you left behind?
Re: U2 to perform at Kroq almost acoustic Christmas
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2014, 06:51:58 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's only a matter of time before this gets cancelled.  Now I'm not as bummed about failing to get tickets.

I can't see any way Bono is able to perform in less than 4 weeks if he is just now having surgery.  The Tonight Show almost certainly won't happen until after the 1st of year either, since they take off for the holidays and I doubt he performs again for at least 6 weeks.

I don't know why I didn't think of this.  :-\

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2014, 07:01:44 PM »
No problem Bono can perform with a cast or sling they won't cancel this "sold out "
charity gig.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 07:21:31 PM by Parsons »

Offline SoCalU2Lover

• Babyface
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2014, 01:33:21 AM »
No problem Bono can perform with a cast or sling they won't cancel this "sold out "
charity gig.

Who said the show would be cancelled?  They will carry on, but without U2.  Perhaps they will find another headline act, but it won't even be close to the same.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2014, 11:42:16 PM »
I'm sure that U2 will cancel and someone else will be added (I kind of hope it's not the Foo Fighters :P).

Hopefully U2 eventually gets to play this gig.

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2014, 01:00:50 PM »
Has anyone who bought tickets for this weekend and selected the option to have them emailed received them yet? I got an email saying they'd be emailed on or around the 21st but nothing yet.

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2014, 10:04:43 AM »
Has anyone who bought tickets for this weekend and selected the option to have them emailed received them yet? I got an email saying they'd be emailed on or around the 21st but nothing yet.

Same here. Nothing yet! Not too worried though because I imagine everyone else is waiting with baited breath, too.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2014, 09:10:43 PM »
U2 almost never cancel except in the post 2000's

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2014, 08:00:02 AM »
There's a difference between cancelling and postponing.  Yes, U2 will probably cancel their appearance at this KROQ event, but maybe they'll do it next year? 

This might cause U2 to have to postpone the first North America leg of the tour, or do some rerouting.  This has happened twice on the Vertigo Tour, the US leg of 360, and possibly again next year. 

But CANCEL?  The last time I think U2 cancelled a show that tickets had actually been sold for was Raleigh Popmart, due to damage to the screen, and also the 2nd Popmart Philadelphia show on June 9th because even though the first show sold out, the 2nd one had VERY low initial sales and was cancelled.  Any other shows that have been cancelled were rescheduled, and in the cases of the AUS/NZ/JAP/HI leg of 2006 AND the 2nd North American leg of 360, they ended up adding more shows than were initially scheduled.  Look at a band like Aerosmith if you want to see somebody that CANCELS a bunch of shows.  They'd cancel more if they didn't have back ups for the Rhythm Guitarist, Drummer and Bassist. 

Offline octoberreckoning

• Babyface
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2014, 08:32:45 PM »
The last time I think U2 cancelled a show that tickets had actually been sold for was Raleigh Popmart, due to damage to the screen, and also the 2nd Popmart Philadelphia show on June 9th because even though the first show sold out, the 2nd one had VERY low initial sales and was cancelled.

Many are of the opinion that the Raleigh Popmart show supposed screen damage cancellation was a smoke "screen" for poor ticket sales.

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2014, 09:42:58 PM »
Yeah that's always been the rumor.  I wonder how bad ticket sales were for Popmart Raleigh?  And why were other shows not cancelled?  Shows like Jacksonville and Tampa both had less than 20,000.

There was also a show in Indianapolis on nov 19 that was cancelled, but tickets never went on sale.  I would've been at that show (had I been able to convince my parents to drive me, as I was 15).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 09:45:31 PM by podiumboy »

Offline octoberreckoning

• Babyface
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2014, 03:52:11 AM »
Yeah that's always been the rumor.  I wonder how bad ticket sales were for Popmart Raleigh?  And why were other shows not cancelled?  Shows like Jacksonville and Tampa both had less than 20,000.

"only about 20,000 tickets were sold for a stadium with a capacity at least double that for concerts."

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2014, 08:21:49 PM »
There's a difference between cancelling and postponing.  Yes, U2 will probably cancel their appearance at this KROQ event, but maybe they'll do it next year? 

This might cause U2 to have to postpone the first North America leg of the tour, or do some rerouting.  This has happened twice on the Vertigo Tour, the US leg of 360, and possibly again next year. 

But CANCEL?  The last time I think U2 cancelled a show that tickets had actually been sold for was Raleigh Popmart, due to damage to the screen, and also the 2nd Popmart Philadelphia show on June 9th because even though the first show sold out, the 2nd one had VERY low initial sales and was cancelled.  Any other shows that have been cancelled were rescheduled, and in the cases of the AUS/NZ/JAP/HI leg of 2006 AND the 2nd North American leg of 360, they ended up adding more shows than were initially scheduled.  Look at a band like Aerosmith if you want to see somebody that CANCELS a bunch of shows.  They'd cancel more if they didn't have back ups for the Rhythm Guitarist, Drummer and Bassist. 

Nobody beats Morrissey

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2014, 08:25:02 PM »
I think the show will go on.

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2014, 11:39:12 PM »
I'm expecting a cancellation or postponement.  :( I knew my luck was too good to be true landing those tickets!  ;) The good news is that I can just leave sooner and be well-rested for Monday morning and the work week.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2014, 12:09:34 AM »

There was also a show in Indianapolis on nov 19 that was cancelled, but tickets never went on sale.  I would've been at that show (had I been able to convince my parents to drive me, as I was 15).
That said, how many bands in all of history would be bummed that they "only" had TWENTY THOUSAND PEOPLE coming to a show? That's more in 1 show than 99% of bands that wish they could make it see in their entire lifespan.