Author Topic: Why does that idiot Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters) keep bashing U2..?!  (Read 5356 times)

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
Re: Why does that idiot Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters) keep bashing U2..?!
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 09:03:34 PM »
Ps. Not sure how long you guys have been around but ive been a fan since Pop, and the critics have said U2 sucked since then.... But its funny they still have been selling out stadiums.....

Offline Shark Ericson

• Refugee
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 01:43:49 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ps. Not sure how long you guys have been around but ive been a fan since Pop, and the critics have said U2 sucked since then.... But its funny they still have been selling out stadiums.....

Whether you like the Foos are not, they definitely wield relevance in a manner that is unprecedented. Sonic Highways has attracted much attention from their fanbase: so much so that the band have sold out Wrigley Stadium (their first stadium show in the United States), and they have also added another stadium show for 2015 in Washington D.C.

I believe that the larger problem here is people trash-talking a perfectly badass album just because the drummer of the band said something about their most sacred of bands. Not everyone is going to hear SOI in the same positive light as some do, but that doesn't mean that one should automatically condemn the band as a knee-jerk reaction to such criticisms.

To blindly dismiss the Foos because of something as meaningless as what their drummer said is simply misguided, and I believe it is an example of hardcore U2 fans engaging in the same all-encompassing, broad generalizations that others make about Bono or the band itself. 

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 01:47:13 AM »
It generates publicity. Trolling on a larger scale. Loads of other struggling "celebs" have used this tactic lately.

Offline Shark Ericson

• Refugee
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 01:47:36 AM »
Hey Taylor,
I see another article next to the U2 one stating that the Foo's new record is "as perfect as we can be". Unfortunately that is true, and it isn't near as good as crappy U2. The Los Angeles Times calls your record  " a trip into mediocrity:.

If we are using critic's evaluations as measures of music quality, Songs of Innocence would be ranked as one of the lesser albums of U2's catalog:

Furthermore, at time of this post, Sonic Highways is only one point beneath SOI in regards to overall critic ratings (64 to 65) :

Offline Yukona [The League of Extraordinary Bonopeople]

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 06:15:24 AM »
Actually I don't think Taylor Hawkins is bashing U2 at all. He's spoken publicly about how powerful he feels the band is when they're playing together in a room. He just has a distaste for electronic/inorganic music I guess, which is his own prerogative.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
Why does that idiot Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters) keep bashing U2..?!
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 08:14:17 AM »
In the first episode of Sonic Highways, he said something about being uninterested in the blues, citing Cheap Trick and Kiss as influences instead. I don't understand how any rock and roll musician can't appreciate the blues. Rock and roll is blues.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 09:06:33 AM »
In the first episode of Sonic Highways, he said something about being uninterested in the blues, citing Cheap Trick and Kiss as influences instead. I don't understand how any rock and roll musician can't appreciate the blues. Rock and roll is blues.

Just because you like rock and roll going back to mid-70's stadium rock doesn't mean you're required to like BB King, Muddy Waters, or Robert Johnson.  You can understand the lineage without having to actively listen or even be INTERESTED in it.

Edgedisciple

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2014, 11:05:31 AM »
Interesting point, but it's not completely true. You're not required to like blues to make rock music. I'm a rock musician too, and even though I recognize its importance, I find blues really boring and repetitive. I've listened to plenty of it in the past for study, but it has never told anything to me. Edge loved Rory Gallagher, but apart from him he's never been a fan of blues music. Luckily I would say. We wouldn't have U2 if he followed the usual guitarists' clichès of the 60's and 70's.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • I’m born again to the latest sound
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2014, 11:38:48 AM »

Whether you like the Foos are not, they definitely wield relevance in a manner that is unprecedented. Sonic Highways has attracted much attention from their fanbase: so much so that the band have sold out Wrigley Stadium (their first stadium show in the United States), and they have also added another stadium show for 2015 in Washington D.C.

I believe that the larger problem here is people trash-talking a perfectly badass album just because the drummer of the band said something about their most sacred of bands. Not everyone is going to hear SOI in the same positive light as some do, but that doesn't mean that one should automatically condemn the band as a knee-jerk reaction to such criticisms.

To blindly dismiss the Foos because of something as meaningless as what their drummer said is simply misguided, and I believe it is an example of hardcore U2 fans engaging in the same all-encompassing, broad generalizations that others make about Bono or the band itself.

I agree that the tone of this forum's response to the FF's latest effort might be because of Taylor Hawkins' comment. I also have seen Foo fans on here not love SH. I've liked FFs from time to time, but it really is hit or miss. For me, the music of it is in part okay and then they go and muck it up, each song, often. It's a certain genre and it's tired. It's not creative, inventive, or particularly moving. I like the idea of what they set out to do with Sonic Highways and I might even like the shows once I get to see them. However, the first two off this album are not appealing to me. I do like I Am A River. I may like the rest of the album once I hear it.

If the general public is lapping up this latest FF's offering, it's of note and I'm unsure what it means for the future of the Foos and rock. 

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2014, 11:46:18 AM »
I just think their new album mostly sucks. I still like most of their other stuff. But Taylor is a douche.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2014, 12:37:44 PM »
He's a drummer in a band fronted by a drummer. In the immortal words of B.B. King, speaking on the topic of being a blues singer in the Jim Crowe South, 'It was like being black TWICE.'

That guy in FF gets told what to play and when to play and how to play it. Dave is every bit of the brains and creativity in that band, and everyone knows it.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2014, 12:57:03 PM »
Bono said famously of Dave Grohl during his Nirvana period. "Definitely, not the brains of the group" (Flanagan, 274)

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 01:40:19 PM »
to be fair i did hear him say in another interview not that long ago that he liked u2 in the 80s and 90s just not into their modern stuff ..thats fair enough lots of u2 fans would agree with that

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • I’m born again to the latest sound
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2014, 02:26:16 PM »
to be fair i did hear him say in another interview not that long ago that he liked u2 in the 80s and 90s just not into their modern stuff ..thats fair enough lots of u2 fans would agree with that

That is true. In that same interview, Taylor also said that he liked it when it was just U2 the band together playing and that itself was impressive. He seems to like bare bones production/mixing, which makes sense given the source and how the Foos have been recording. It's just that he's such a jerk, and looks immature and ignorant himself, to say what he said. He could have stated it more eloquently or shut his mouth. It was clearly a dumb/immature thing to say. Thus, he looks foolish and it is annoying. It's annoying that the immature djs, like Elliott in the morning on DC101, even have to mention it. There is a lowest common denominator to some rock music and stations and Taylor (and Elliott in the morning in DC) surely ascribe to that part of the rock world.

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2014, 07:29:35 PM »

Hmmm, Floyd is kicking the Foo's in album sales in the UK. I hope Taylor doesn't have an issue with that.