Author Topic: Did Bono's bike accident kill SOI 's momentum ?  (Read 6942 times)

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
Did Bono's bike accident kill SOI 's momentum ?
« on: November 28, 2014, 12:46:50 AM »
Has Bono's unfortunate bike accident slowed down SOI's promotional momentum , and if so will the band be able to recover their adrenaline rush ?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 11:39:07 PM by Parsons »

Offline sceptic

• Refugee
Re: Did Bono's bike accident kill SOI 's momentum ?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 03:31:03 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Do you think Bono's unfortunate bike accident has slowed down SOI's promotional momentum ?

The answer to that question is an obvious 'yes'.

And if so will they be able to recover ?

That really depends on how long Bono is out of circulation... There is also the question of what the second single will be and if they will be able to do make a video for it.

Edgedisciple

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 04:25:08 AM »
Yes, I don't think they'll be able to regain attention now. They needed to promote it in the US. Now, they need to drop SOE sooner than expected to not let the exposure die definitively, or release The Troubles as a single, since it's the only one song with the potential to be a hit. Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 04:31:48 AM by Edgedisciple »

Offline wildgirl

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 05:49:21 AM »
Or release Every Breaking Wave with a video - maybe they could make it about a love story and have 2 young actors star in it.

surit87

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 05:56:26 AM »
Yes. The Fallon residential was critical for US promotion.

BTW, there's a possibility that 'Films of Innocence' might make up for the loss.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 05:58:36 AM by Fist-O »

Offline sceptic

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 06:04:57 AM »
Yes, I don't think they'll be able to regain attention now. They needed to promote it in the US. Now, they need to drop SOE sooner than expected to not let the exposure die definitively, or release The Troubles as a single, since it's the only one song with the potential to be a hit. Just my 2 cents.

I think EBW should have the potential to be a hit, too, but I admit that I don't know what makes a hit anymore. 'Magnificent' should have been a global hit but it only had success in a few countries (like Ireland, the Netherlands and Canada, if wikipedia is correct), for instance.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 06:29:13 AM »
Releasing Songs of Experience to time with Bono's recovery and a tour hot on the heels of that is the salve to this unfortunate set back.

Edgedisciple

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 06:49:19 AM »

I think EBW should have the potential to be a hit, too, but I admit that I don't know what makes a hit anymore. 'Magnificent' should have been a global hit but it only had success in a few countries (like Ireland, the Netherlands and Canada, if wikipedia is correct), for instance.
The problem with Magnificent, I think, were the clunky self-indulgent lyrics (seriously, I still don't know what they are all about) and the fact that it should've been the lead single instead of Boots.

Offline wildgirl

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 07:14:00 AM »
Yes, I think the main problem of HTDAAB were the lyrics.

Offline rcamu2

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 07:42:09 AM »
irrelevant really.

pretty much everyone who would ever listen to it already did. and regardless of promotion the tour will be a sellout.

Offline Yaro

• Stateless
  • Everything you know is wrong
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 08:40:30 AM »
Because most of us here are major U2 fans -we think there actually,,was a momentum" .In Europe the sales and chart positions were pretty much non existing, they made few appearances here & there..and here in US that whole Apple thing really bit them in the ar*e...When I read Justin Bieber earned $ 80 mil. last year alone-makes me sick to my stomach...unfortunately its Bieber/Beyonce/Minaj/Swift Taylor's era..But U2 are not alone..for example another monster famous band in the world-Metallica-is struggling the same exact way-they had to cancel their US festival(Orion) with them actually playing both nights, because it was a financial disaster,.then they made & financed their movie,which cost them $ 30 mil. of their own money-and it bombed horribly (their personal loss was $ 24 mil.)...U2 ( or Metallica) will always have people come to see them live in masses-but its the teenage &college kids that decide, who's the hottest band(artist) in the world..Bono called it-U2 (and other few great bands of past ) are on the verge of irrelevance..

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 09:56:29 AM »
irrelevant really.

pretty much everyone who would ever listen to it already did. and regardless of promotion the tour will be a sellout.

Truth.

A band like U2 doesn't really even need a new album to justify a tour. People will still flock to their shows regardless. 360 proved that. How many people in attendance actually gave a crap about NLOTH?

Offline rcamu2

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 10:21:03 AM »
Saless and chart positions are really meaningless for an album which was given away to basically everyone with a smartphone or an Internet connection. Much gnashing of teeth and fretting over nothing.

Offline summerrain

• Refugee
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 10:58:25 AM »
Saless and chart positions are really meaningless for an album which was given away to basically everyone with a smartphone or an Internet connection. Much gnashing of teeth and fretting over nothing.

This! I usually just buy digital albums, just because it was U2 and I'm already a U2 fan I wanted the physical album to complete my collection. But even not all U2 fans got it (because they already had the digital album), most of the people buying music buy it digitally, you cannot expect them to buy something they already have.

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 12:23:20 PM »
I'm not even talking about album sales, I'm talking about the band's momentum and excitement about playing  the new songs. The adrenaline rush they get just before a tour is about to begin is monumental to a band like U2 and the bike accident may have jinxed them.