Author Topic: Did Bono's bike accident kill SOI 's momentum ?  (Read 6932 times)

Offline rcamu2

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Did Bono's bike accident kill SOI 's momentum ?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 01:31:16 PM »
that's some serious over thinking. dude fell off a bike. it's not like he had a child going through leukemia treatment or had back surgery.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 05:26:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
that's some serious over thinking. dude fell off a bike. it's not like he had a child going through leukemia treatment or had back surgery.

The seriousness of this injury is easily on a par with the back surgery. No overthinking.

Offline rcamu2

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 05:49:29 PM »
Sure it is. Because we are privy to all the details and have medical training, right ?

Look the tour was supposed to start in June according to rumor, it will probably still do so and will still sell out quickly. No momentum lost, no practical measurable impact.

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 08:11:25 PM »
I still hear the Miracle on the radio a lot.  I would expect that when they come back to do the Tonight Show it will make an impact and help them regain some of the momentum.  I don't expect them to do the KROQ show, but a few months after that I would expect that Bono will want to get things going again.  It has to be driving him crazy sitting there recouperating.

Offline Velvet Dress

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2014, 11:55:44 PM »
I'm not even talking about album sales, I'm talking about the band's momentum and excitement about playing  the new songs. The adrenaline rush they get just before a tour is about to begin is monumental to a band like U2 and the bike accident may have jinxed them.
They may be religious, but that doesn't mean they're superstitious.   They're not fatalistic, never have been, and they're not going to start now.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2014, 05:32:46 PM »
What momentum?

Everyone owns the album.

It has little radio play which is inconsequential since no one listens to radio nowadays.

The only momentum it killed was the exposure momentum.

Cheers,

J

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2014, 10:58:36 PM »
What momentum?

Everyone owns the album.

It has little radio play which is inconsequential since no one listens to radio nowadays.

Cheers,

J
As stated earlier J , it's not sales momentum or radio for that matter, I'm speaking about the band its self and the exitment of playing new material that they believe in. Bono's unfortunate accident abruptly stopped the " mini" promotional tour and I'm wondering what psychological effects if any it might have on the aging rock band.

Offline rcamu2

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2014, 10:03:50 AM »
at this age they've probably smarter and mentally stronger than they were on their 30s. don't worry about them. they will be fine.

Offline achtungx

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2014, 06:38:41 PM »
What momentum?

Everyone owns the album.

Cheers,

J
As stated earlier J , it's not sales momentum or radio for that matter, I'm speaking about the band its self and the exitment of playing new material that they believe in. Bono's unfortunate accident abruptly stopped the " mini" promotional tour and I'm wondering what psychological effects if any it might have on the aging rock band.

Those old geezers in their early 50s... psychological effects - I doubt there'd be any.

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2014, 09:01:46 AM »
knocked the front teeth out of it. i'd say

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2014, 09:28:38 AM »
Yes, I agree - Bono's accident won't affect them psychologically.  As they get older, they get more thick skinned and less emotional or impulsive.

However, I've always felt this accident will affect the upcoming Songs of Experience - Bono may start adding or rewriting lyrics to deal with fragility and mortality.  Just a thought.

Cheers,

J

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2014, 09:58:06 AM »
Yes, I agree - Bono's accident won't affect them psychologically.  As they get older, they get more thick skinned and less emotional or impulsive.

However, I've always felt this accident will affect the upcoming Songs of Experience - Bono may start adding or rewriting lyrics to deal with fragility and mortality.  Just a thought.

Cheers,

J

And the rest of the band hopefully has the existing lyrics, so they can all work together and maybe come up with a 4th album?  ;)

Offline HotRod1999

• Babyface
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2014, 06:50:14 AM »
I think the Fallon show would have helped the momentum, but I'm not sure how much. The album needs to be getting airplay and it doesn't . I'm startled Every Breaking Wave isn't getting strong airplay, as to me it is a song that could appeal to anyone.
I guess we are in a pop music world forever now. 

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2015, 11:35:43 PM »
I think the Fallon show would have helped the momentum, but I'm not sure how much. The album needs to be getting airplay and it doesn't . I'm startled Every Breaking Wave isn't getting strong airplay, as to me it is a song that could appeal to anyone.
I guess we are in a pop music world forever now.
+1

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2015, 02:15:06 AM »
In my very humble opinion the momentum was lost when they took the one sure hit from the album and performed it totally different from the only album version available at the time.

The thought process behind opting for appearing on talk shows and performing acoustic versions of SOI songs was to push the deluxe version of the album when it is the original release that needs the push, not least to win the hearts and minds of those who may of only heard the bad press from the i-tunes release.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 02:22:48 AM by Blueyedboy »