Author Topic: Pricing  (Read 4756 times)

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Pricing
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2014, 09:14:40 AM »
I'm not sure where these $300 are coming from.  I was able to get a ticket in the lower 100 section at the opposite end of the stage for $90. 

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2014, 11:08:07 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm not sure where these $300 are coming from.  I was able to get a ticket in the lower 100 section at the opposite end of the stage for $90. 

The majority (probably over 80%) of the lower bowl sections in Vancouver are over $300, with the best sections at $625. Of course those are the only sections with tickets left. $1300 for a couple to see a rock concert. What a deal!!! U2 have become as corporate as they come.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2014, 02:06:13 PM »

The majority (probably over 80%) of the lower bowl sections in Vancouver are over $300, with the best sections at $625. Of course those are the only sections with tickets left. $1300 for a couple to see a rock concert. What a deal!!! U2 have become as corporate as they come.

But that's for the 'party' package, right? I agree, there are too many of those out there. If you look at where single tickets are still available for lower bowl, most of those are those packages and not just the tickets.

Just about every act out there -- Bruce Springsteen included -- sells tickets as part of travel package. Be thankful they haven't started selling 'meet and greet' tickets shake Adam's hand for $1,000 like Fleetwood Mac or The Who.

Just remember this: If U2 wanted, they could make the floor reserved and sell the first 10 rows for $800 a seat the way the Stones do. Instead, the floor is GA, you get there early if you want up front, and you pay $87.50 (including taxes for my Boston ticket).

It is more than what we would like, but U2 have got a long way to go before they are as 'corporate as they come.'

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2014, 02:33:35 PM »

But that's for the 'party' package, right? I agree, there are too many of those out there. If you look at where single tickets are still available for lower bowl, most of those are those packages and not just the tickets.

Just about every act out there -- Bruce Springsteen included -- sells tickets as part of travel package. Be thankful they haven't started selling 'meet and greet' tickets shake Adam's hand for $1,000 like Fleetwood Mac or The Who.

Just remember this: If U2 wanted, they could make the floor reserved and sell the first 10 rows for $800 a seat the way the Stones do. Instead, the floor is GA, you get there early if you want up front, and you pay $87.50 (including taxes for my Boston ticket).

It is more than what we would like, but U2 have got a long way to go before they are as 'corporate as they come.'

Even if it is a "party pack" it is still way over priced. A drink and whatever else is included is an easy way for them to charge $300 more then the next ticket.

The floor represents only about 10% of the total tickets sold. So U2 making those cheaper while the rest of the 90% all over $100 (and almost the whole lower bowl being over $300) doesn't really make it seem like U2 is some white knight here.

U2 can do as they wish. It's their tour. But by trying to maximizing profits as much as they can then they open themselves up to ridicule and fans being pi**ed. They changed from the band they used to be. In my mind that is a fact. They are very corporate and maximizing money seems to be a driving factor for them. What bugs me is that some people just can't admit to the change in the band (i'm not directing this comment at you Saint, it's just something I see on here. some think U2 can do no wrong). They aren't charging $300 or $600 because of production costs or to subsidize the GA seats. Like many other bands with the same amount of production U2 could charge an average of $100 per ticket and still make a ton of money.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2014, 02:38:19 PM »

Yup.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2014, 02:40:44 PM »

Yup.

GA's represent about 10% of the tickets sold. And U2 make money from people having to become a U2.com member to get those tickets. Let's not pretend everyone who wanted a ticket had the GA option.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2014, 03:10:11 PM »
I'd say the floor capacity at these shows may be even less than 10%.

Factor in the floor of space the redzone will take, the extra barriers that will be in place for that amd the fact that they seem to be putting a two ended stage down the middle of the floor so there will be a lot more barriers than a normal end stage.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2014, 03:10:44 PM »

Yup.

GA's represent about 10% of the tickets sold. And U2 make money from people having to become a U2.com member to get those tickets. Let's not pretend everyone who wanted a ticket had the GA option.

From your other post, I think the higher prices on the lowers actually are subsidizing the floor. And we have no idea what the production is going to be yet. Just because it is in an arena doesn't mean it is going to be cheap. Springsteen goes out in blue jeans with bare-bones lighting and charges the same amount for every seat in the house. A lot of his fans don't like that either.

The world went out and got expensive. The only act I see out on the road right now that is leaving money on the table is U2 with the GAs and Foo Fighters, who are doing all they can to keep costs down for every seat. Even Tom Petty went up to $150 this time. Seen what Mellencamp and Fleetwood Mac are charging?

OK, the floor is a small part of the total number of seats. That's fine. But again, what COULD they be charging for those seats? Imagine no fan club, and a reserved level floor going on sale for $750 a ticket in a general public onsale. What would you think about that?

Again, I get it. It is expensive. I agree. I am going to have to fly a long distance to see the show I have tickets for, and I don't like flying at all. I'm paying through the nose for hotel accommodations.  I am 38 years old with a 'real' full-time job, and I am probably going to get a second job for a while to bankroll this thing.

However, U2 are still leaving money on the table. They aren't maximizing anything. Not even close. And that's my point. I am not saying they deserve an A+ for these prices, but they don't deserve an F either. More like B, if you ask me.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 03:18:49 PM by Saint1322 »

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2014, 07:06:05 PM »

Yup.

From your other post, I think the higher prices on the lowers actually are subsidizing the floor. And we have no idea what the production is going to be yet. Just because it is in an arena doesn't mean it is going to be cheap. Springsteen goes out in blue jeans with bare-bones lighting and charges the same amount for every seat in the house. A lot of his fans don't like that either.

The world went out and got expensive. The only act I see out on the road right now that is leaving money on the table is U2 with the GAs and Foo Fighters, who are doing all they can to keep costs down for every seat. Even Tom Petty went up to $150 this time. Seen what Mellencamp and Fleetwood Mac are charging?

OK, the floor is a small part of the total number of seats. That's fine. But again, what COULD they be charging for those seats? Imagine no fan club, and a reserved level floor going on sale for $750 a ticket in a general public onsale. What would you think about that?

Again, I get it. It is expensive. I agree. I am going to have to fly a long distance to see the show I have tickets for, and I don't like flying at all. I'm paying through the nose for hotel accommodations.  I am 38 years old with a 'real' full-time job, and I am probably going to get a second job for a while to bankroll this thing.

However, U2 are still leaving money on the table. They aren't maximizing anything. Not even close. And that's my point. I am not saying they deserve an A+ for these prices, but they don't deserve an F either. More like B, if you ask me.

How can the lower bowl be subsidizing the floor? the floor takes up less then 10% of the total tickets sold! The lower bowl capacity in most arena's would be about 8000 tickets. No way 7000 - 8000 tickets at a cost between $300 and $600 are subsidizing the floor that probably has about 1500 sold. And let's remember the true cost of the floor tickets isn't as cheap as what it says on the ticket. To get those floor tickets people had to conveniently for U2 become a U2.com member and pay $50. That $50 figure can be added onto the true cost of the ticket for the majority of people who got GA floor.

Offline Peter Parker

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2014, 03:43:16 AM »
OK, there are tix left for Stockholm 3, seats for 1495 skr aprox 200 dollars. Got GA tix for Stockholm 4 and wanna see both night 1 and 2. Dont know if it is good sor bad seats or which ones to choose A or B. Any ideas?

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2014, 03:37:54 AM »
Going both nights in Montreal 300.00 each night in the lower red sections, what are they thinking? 600.00 for 4hrs of entertainment outrageous, Not to mention just before Christmas, very disappointed with the costs.
Nobody forced you to buy the $300 tickets. As someone posted in another thread, Adam Clayton is not holding a gun to your head.
Whether I have a choice or not is not the point obviously if I wasn't a fan of U2 I would not have paid that , so , yes I had no choice if I wanted to see them duh...

Online briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2014, 03:44:16 AM »
Going both nights in Montreal 300.00 each night in the lower red sections, what are they thinking? 600.00 for 4hrs of entertainment outrageous, Not to mention just before Christmas, very disappointed with the costs.
I know you have seats but if you want more value for money, just walk up and down the GA line all day and watch the fun and games when people try to push in or call out the line numbering police. There's at least 8 hours of additional value there.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2014, 03:49:47 AM »
I know you have seats but if you want more value for money, just walk up and down the GA line all day and watch the fun and games when people try to push in or call out the line numbering police. There's at least 8 hours of additional value there.

I stood for both nights when they came to Montreal for the 360 tour , I wish I could stand that long but I can't , my seats are good I still find their pricing high . It is still worth it because I love U2 I thought the tickets for the lower reds would be more around the 200.00 cost .

Online briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2014, 04:40:52 AM »
Er yeah I was just kidding.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2014, 04:37:43 PM »
Meanwhile, Garth Brooks is charging $66/ticket (all seats same price) for his shows here, including all fees.

6 sellouts at Joe Louis Arena and counting.

...what do you think? Would you rather see U2 charging, say, $90/ticket for all seats, or is the tiered pricing scheme they're using now working for you?