Author Topic: Additional shows?  (Read 4983 times)

Offline bossfan92

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Additional shows?
« on: December 05, 2014, 06:42:29 AM »
I have a question regarding how people think the band will add additional shows, for the cities we know are getting more like NY and LA. Any idea if the new dates be put up for sale on Ticketmaster immediately once the shows sell out on Monday, or will there be a new pre-sale/general sale set up for the new dates? I know that it's impossible to know for sure at this point, but looking for any insight as to how it was handled on Elevation and Vertigo tours? Thanks!

Offline mofomat

• Refugee
Re: Additional shows?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 06:46:32 AM »
Hard to say definitively, but in the past they have added dates immediately during the process of buying tickets. London for example has plenty of space after the current four dates in the schedule to add a few more, and in fact there was a screen shot of the webpage which implies extra dates will be added on the 2nd and 3rd November.

I would guess by the time the pre-sales finish tomorrow, the majority of tickets for London could have gone. By offering new dates when the tickets go on sale to the general public on Monday, they have a way of satisfying demand that surely still exists.

Offline Hohat

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 03:56:29 AM »
I am intrigued by the reference to a screen shot implying additional London dates on 2 and 3 November - has anyone got a link to this...?

I've got tickets for 29 October, but struggling to get what I want for 30 October - so wondering whether to hold out for additional dates...

olimar

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 04:43:50 AM »
Id be amazed if they dont add additional London dates, because there is such a big gap in the schedule between London and Glasgow. Id expect these to be announced once the original dates are sold out, or pretty close to sold out. Its good marketing to make a big fanfare that your tickets are red hot, they sold out quickly, just as you are announcing some new dates, but also, if there are still expensive tickets available for the existing dates, then they are likely to remain unsold for a little while longer if people can pick up cheaper tickets for the new dates.

Offline shesarainbow

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • With a guitar ... on fire.
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 04:53:31 AM »
You might find that additional dates are announced today or tomorrow. I'm pretty sure there will be a whole new presale/general sale. If my memory serves me correctly, the tickets don't go straight up for sale on the day they are announced.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 06:29:08 AM »
You'd think Paris and Berlin would get a couple of extras.

Offline mofomat

• Refugee
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 06:38:22 AM »
In Europe, Amsterdam, Stockholm, Berlin, Barcelona, Cologne, London, and Paris all have gaps of 7 days or more after them. Clearly there are either going to be new dates added to existing venues or they're going to add new cities. Munich is a big gap in the schedule. Zurich deserves two nights, as does Madrid or Lisbon. Nowhere in the South of France? Seems strange.

These dates could be added before the end of today or they may be waiting until the announce the Dublin dates, and then put all the extra dates on sale along with the Dublin ones.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 08:07:41 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
In Europe, Amsterdam, Stockholm, Berlin, Barcelona, Cologne, London, and Paris all have gaps of 7 days or more after them. Clearly there are either going to be new dates added to existing venues or they're going to add new cities. Munich is a big gap in the schedule. Zurich deserves two nights, as does Madrid or Lisbon. Nowhere in the South of France? Seems strange.

These dates could be added before the end of today or they may be waiting until the announce the Dublin dates, and then put all the extra dates on sale along with the Dublin ones.

Hope you're right about extra dates.  The large gaps between shows could be due to the time it takes to put the stage up.  Then again, there is no reason for them not to play the O2 6 nights instead of 4 nights given the 2 night gap between performances, unless they find that too tiring.  I recall in 1992 they just did 4 indoor gigs across the whole of the UK, and the London one was at Earls Court, and that precedent doesn't bode well for extra dates.  I am sounding ancient today...  :)

Offline shesarainbow

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • With a guitar ... on fire.
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 08:15:35 AM »

Hope you're right about extra dates.  The large gaps between shows could be due to the time it takes to put the stage up.  Then again, there is no reason for them not to play the O2 6 nights instead of 4 nights given the 2 night gap between performances, unless they find that too tiring.  I recall in 1992 they just did 4 indoor gigs across the whole of the UK, and the London one was at Earls Court, and that precedent doesn't bode well for extra dates.  I am sounding ancient today...  :)

And the Birmingham one was at the NEC. I queued 12 hours for tickets, which somehow seems infinitely easier than the hoops we have to jump through to get tickets nowadays ...  :-\

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 10:16:10 AM »
You might find that additional dates are announced today or tomorrow. I'm pretty sure there will be a whole new presale/general sale. If my memory serves me correctly, the tickets don't go straight up for sale on the day they are announced.

For what my opinion matters, I think you are 100 percent right. The new dates will be announced pretty quickly and the presale/general sale will start within 1-2 days of the announcements with another round of presales before the general sale. 

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 10:58:00 AM »

For what my opinion matters, I think you are 100 percent right. The new dates will be announced pretty quickly and the presale/general sale will start within 1-2 days of the announcements with another round of presales before the general sale. 

This sounds correct.  I would almost expect additional shows where there is a gap (between NYC2 and 3, for example), as the stage will already be set up then and there are 2 extra days that are wide open.  We also may get 1-3 additional shows where is a huge gap between those shows and the next ones on the tour.  I would expect a few days off, but if they quickly sell out and there is a big gap, we might get an extra day or 2 tacked on.

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 11:15:27 AM »
I'm going against the grain on this thread & say that IF U2 does not announce additional shows by the end of this week, we will see this tour itinerary remain intact which would signal that the band is committed to finishing Songs of Experience with the goal of releasing it by the end of 2015.

I think U2 does their best work when they're on tour and they're at their creative & artistic peak.  With the large gaps between tour dates, this will give the band plenty of time to go into a local recording studio, depending on which city they're in, and work on unfinished songs in the hopes of completing SOE.  This has the potential to mirror the recording situation that occurred in May 1993 during the first month of the Zooropa leg of the ZOO TV Tour.

Offline mofomat

• Refugee
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 01:16:02 PM »
They're not in their early 30's any more. I doubt they'll be trying to pull off what they did through the first month of the Zooropa Tour.

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 01:40:34 PM »
Agreed, I probably should've clarified that we could see this process stretched out over the course of the entire year of 2015.

Offline rcamu2

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 01:43:16 PM »
There won't be any new LA dates added, still TONS of seats for the Tuesday and Wednesday shows. Mostly the Platinum and $300 seats.

I would laugh so hard if they played to huge chunks of unsold seats. Hubris is not an endearing trait.