Author Topic: SOI nominated for Best Rock Album at the Grammy's  (Read 7848 times)

Offline ecadad

• Staring at the Sun
  • 🐍
Re: SOI nominated for Best Rock Album at the Grammy's
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2014, 05:14:27 PM »
Maybe Songs of Experience will be out in time for the next Grammys  8)

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2014, 12:06:44 PM »
U2 must feel very discouraged right now being blanked out in the major 3 categories and just getting the single nomination in the Rock Album category.  I say that they might be discouraged because in spite taking a long time to make this album with delay after delay and working with new so call modern producers (DM, Ryan Tedder and Paul Eptworth) to come with with strong melodies they still got shut for the top 3 categories and just equaled NLOTH as it also got Rock Album nominated but did not win.  I know Gammys don't mean anything, but we all know to U2 it does very much as they have said before as it shows that you are being recognized for you current work.  We can only hope they don't try to disown and distance themselves from this album even before the tour starts as this is a very good album despite what the grammys think.

Edgedisciple

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2014, 01:29:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 must feel very discouraged right now being blanked out in the major 3 categories and just getting the single nomination in the Rock Album category.  I say that they might be discouraged because in spite taking a long time to make this album with delay after delay and working with new so call modern producers (DM, Ryan Tedder and Paul Eptworth) to come with with strong melodies they still got shut for the top 3 categories and just equaled NLOTH as it also got Rock Album nominated but did not win.  I know Gammys don't mean anything, but we all know to U2 it does very much as they have said before as it shows that you are being recognized for you current work.  We can only hope they don't try to disown and distance themselves from this album even before the tour starts as this is a very good album despite what the grammys think.
From their perspective, since it seems that they've always given importance to the Grammies, it's a failure. But who cares anyway. They don't mean anything and they shouldn't be bothered by them. Just take a look at the nominees: apart from Beck (which I don't like, but I recognize his artistry) there's nothing to see.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2014, 02:08:52 PM »
I wish they would take the "f**k the Grammys" approach like Pearl Jam and Trent Reznor (funny enough, Trent is actually nominated for a Grammy this year).

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2014, 02:13:59 PM »
I think they were basically spoiled by HTDAAB. But HTDAAB never deserved most of the grammys it won; it won them because they had been denied recognition when they did deserve it so often beforehand.

Offline ultraviolet5555

• Wanderer
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2014, 02:21:37 PM »
Yes, all of the awards that came with HTDAAB seemed to be more about lifetime achievement rather than for the actual work.  How "Bomb" won album of the year when "Achtung Baby" did not, is beyond me...

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2014, 07:27:16 PM »
Yes, all of the awards that came with HTDAAB seemed to be more about lifetime achievement rather than for the actual work.  How "Bomb" won album of the year when "Achtung Baby" did not, is beyond me...

Well it's quite easy for me. HTDAAB is a way better album than AB.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2014, 08:37:10 PM »
I think they were basically spoiled by HTDAAB. But HTDAAB never deserved most of the grammys it won; it won them because they had been denied recognition when they did deserve it so often beforehand.

That's what makes the lack of nominations for SOI (and AB for that matter) so sad.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2014, 02:52:17 AM »
Maybe if it had been released the traditional way it may have gotten some more nominations.  Maybe the Grammys did not want to get mix up with the whole apple fiasco.

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2014, 04:00:03 AM »
Maybe if it had been released the traditional way it may have gotten some more nominations.  Maybe the Grammys did not want to get mix up with the whole apple fiasco.
X2 think this might be the case

Edgedisciple

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2014, 05:05:50 AM »
X2 think this might be the case
Plausible

Offline Albono

• Child of Grace
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2014, 03:27:53 AM »

Offline sceptic

• Refugee
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2014, 03:42:02 AM »
U2 shouldn't care about the Grammies. They don't award quality but popularity or sales. They're a bit like music's Oscars, but even the Oscars retain some more credibility...

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2014, 04:08:31 AM »
I wonder why they is no mention on U2.com yet that SOI got nominated for Rock Album of the year.  Maybe they are peeved about being blanked out in the top 3 categories.  But you would think adding it on their website and on the ticketmaster site would help concert sales as ticket sales in some markets seem to be slow (I guess because of that 300 dollar price tag).

Offline iced

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • You don't see me but you will..I am not invisible.
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2014, 06:06:01 AM »
The Grammy's will get around 20-30 million viewers this year..

I hope it's hardcore and true to form...

kick some serious ****
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 06:36:38 AM by iced »