Author Topic: U2 have never felt more corporate....  (Read 31597 times)

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
Re: U2 have never felt more corporate....
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2014, 12:06:00 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
but they ARE as blatantly corporate as the Stones. I'm OK with it. difference is Mick Jagger doesn't go out and lobby my government for my tax money to go to his pet causes.

Eh, developing world health care is more important than developed world tax rates. I'd much rather be a fan of a celebrity who is trying to improve things on a global scale than a guy who doesn't talk about taxes but is instead gets icky cornrows like Axl Rose or does tons of blow like the Stones.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2014, 02:08:53 AM »

If you are advocating that, to follow the example given, U2 should sell their tickets at the highest price they can which still sells out, then that is as corporate/commercial a strategy as you can get. My original point is that the pricing for this tour (amongst other things) is as corporate as Ive ever known U2 to be.

You can call it corporate or commercial strategy. I can also call it common sense.  Why turn down more money on the table if it's there?

Cheers,

J

Offline furq

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2014, 06:46:47 AM »
Well, this life-long fan is keeping his money from the table.

It's worth noting that the O2 Arena in London has not sold out - five hours after going on sale.

£165 + fees for standard seats (even Level 4) is obscene.

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2014, 06:57:51 AM »
I'm as big a U2 fan as anybody else who makes an effort to post on these forums.  I've been a fan for 20 years.  Even though I make pretty good money and could afford it, there is no way in hell I'm paying $600 for a pair of tickets for a U2 concert.  I just can't wrap my head around spending that kind of money for 3 hours of entertainment.  My wife and I were planning a trip to NYC next summer anyway, so I decided why not plan it around U2's shows in NYC?  But I'm not paying that price, hell no.  I'll buy 2 $100 dollar ticket, and then we can take that $400 and go do other things in NYC. 

I understand why they're charging that much… because they can.  Those $300 tickets will sell… just not to me. 

Offline mofomat

• Refugee
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2014, 07:15:09 AM »
I'm as big a U2 fan as anybody else

Clearly not. You reached your price point. There are others who will pay $300 per ticket.

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2014, 07:19:21 AM »
Disgraceful ticket prices, plain and simple.

Borack

« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2014, 07:20:51 AM »
but they ARE as blatantly corporate as the Stones. I'm OK with it. difference is Mick Jagger doesn't go out and lobby my government for my tax money to go to his pet causes.

I regrettably agree. IMHO U2 have or are becoming The Stones in most all respects, only with more talent and less swagger.

Offline furq

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2014, 07:24:08 AM »
If you think the loyalty and devotion of U2 fans should be measured on their willingness or ability to pay for gig tickets then, well, you're in the right thread!

olimar

« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2014, 07:44:21 AM »
If you think the loyalty and devotion of U2 fans should be measured on their willingness or ability to pay for gig tickets then, well, you're in the right thread!

The irony is that the audience at those gigs is going to be increasingly made up of affluent, but semi-interested non-fans.
The kind who went for a drink when Zooropa was being played, but were standing up at their seats with a phone when Bono was cruising through With or Without You (as an aside, I thought Chris Martins recent attempt was admirable, because he really threw himself at all the big notes).

Offline mofomat

• Refugee
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2014, 09:58:10 AM »

The irony is that the audience at those gigs is going to be increasingly made up of affluent, but semi-interested non-fans.

Why is affluence and being a hardcore U2 fan mutually exclusive?

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2014, 10:18:49 AM »
Posts are exactly right--being willing (or, just as likely, ABLE) to buy super-expensive U2 tickets does not necessarily make you a bigger U2 fan than someone who won't (or CAN'T) do it.  U2 aren't necessarily wrong to charge whatever they can for tickets--because lord knows, just looking at the resale prices, SOMEONE will sell them for that price or higher even if they don't.  But some lawyer looking to impress his wife and kids by getting them tickets to U2--because they all like that song, Beautiful Day--doesn't necessarily make for the most engaged audience.  It's a very old debate.  Let's just say I'm glad I was lucky enough to see U2 before the prices sky-rocketed, and with amazingly great seats at least once (Zoo TV, 2nd row).  Much like being able to pay for expensive tickets doesn't make you a bigger fan, charging a small fortune for tickets doesn't mean it's a better show.  ;)

And yeah, I still paid nearly $600 for 2 tickets for a show this summer.  One born every minute, perhaps?

olimar

« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2014, 10:25:25 AM »

Why is affluence and being a hardcore U2 fan mutually exclusive?

I didnt say it was.
Hardcore fans will be in the expensive seats and the cheap seats. But if the cost of the seats increases beyond the market rate, then those expensive seats will be increasingly filled with corporates or simply those who are there for the event, but are semi-interested in much of it. I bet the balance is greater in that regard than it was for Popmart, for example, and it will increase.

olimar

« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2014, 10:26:40 AM »
Posts are exactly right--being willing (or, just as likely, ABLE) to buy super-expensive U2 tickets does not necessarily make you a bigger U2 fan than someone who won't (or CAN'T) do it.  U2 aren't necessarily wrong to charge whatever they can for tickets--because lord knows, just looking at the resale prices, SOMEONE will sell them for that price or higher even if they don't.  But some lawyer looking to impress his wife and kids by getting them tickets to U2--because they all like that song, Beautiful Day--doesn't necessarily make for the most engaged audience.  It's a very old debate.  Let's just say I'm glad I was lucky enough to see U2 before the prices sky-rocketed, and with amazingly great seats at least once (Zoo TV, 2nd row).  Much like being able to pay for expensive tickets doesn't make you a bigger fan, charging a small fortune for tickets doesn't mean it's a better show.  ;)

And yeah, I still paid nearly $600 for 2 tickets for a show this summer.  One born every minute, perhaps?

Couldnt have said it better myself.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2014, 02:56:44 PM »

If you are advocating that, to follow the example given, U2 should sell their tickets at the highest price they can which still sells out, then that is as corporate/commercial a strategy as you can get. My original point is that the pricing for this tour (amongst other things) is as corporate as Ive ever known U2 to be.

You can call it corporate or commercial strategy. I can also call it common sense.  Why turn down more money on the table if it's there?

Cheers,

J

Agreed jick.  In this case common sense is simply based on Econ Theory 101.  Unclear why so many people still complaining about high ticket prices.  They money can go to U2 who will invest a lot of it in a great production, as always.  Or, the money created by underpricing can go to some jerkoff scalpers and their coke habits.  I know what I prefer.

"We can analyze how markets behave by matching (or combining) the supply and demand curves. Equilibrium is defined as the intersection of supply and demand curves. The equilibrium price is the price where the quantity demanded matches the quantity supplied. The equilibrium quantity is the quantity where price has adjusted so that QD = QS. At the equilibrium price, the quantity that buyers are willing to purchase exactly equals the quantity the producers are willing to sell. Actions of buyers and sellers naturally tend to move a market towards the equilibrium. - See more at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login"

Offline chiso

• Stateless
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2014, 03:09:43 PM »
U2 fans for the past two decades: "Dammit, why is every show the same!?! U2 sucks!"

U2 fans in 2014/2015: "Dammit, why are they doing different shows!?! U2 sucks!"

... Nothing that U2 nor Live Nation has done so far with this tour announcement even registers anywhere close on the injustice scale of what happened in 2005 with the presale. That was worth complaining about and raging against (as we did). The experience of presales since then has mostly been a breath of fresh air on the whole.

Nailed it.

The Vertigo tour presale was a debacle (and it was my first U2 tour experience).

Since I was young and reckless with my money, I ended up seeing 7 shows during that tour. The major complaint? The setlists were almost exactly the same each night (right down to the Vertigo encore).

So now it's refreshing to see their toying with the idea of switching it up from night to night.