Author Topic: U2 favorite band since 85, never seen them live, and poor :-p Suggestions?  (Read 4813 times)

Offline centuryhouse

• Stateless
  • Check out my music: THE LIGHTNING WALTZ on YouTube
I became a fan when UF came out - I bought War one day, UF the next and Red Rocks a few weeks later. I was 15 and U2 became my LIFE at that point, and my favorite band. I was crazy about their music. Favorite band, still.

That said, I've never seen them live.

I have almost no money and am struggling with a lot of car problems and medical issues which are leaving me little in the way of money.

What is the best strategy or suggestions you can offer as to how me and my GF could finally see a U2 show this tour - for a decent price, and not in the nosebleeds? I live in Dallas, TX USA.

Thanks in advance!

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Re: U2 favorite band since 85, never seen them live, and poor :-p Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 11:17:14 PM »
Competitions - radio will have loads and hardly anyone listens to the radio anymore. Just go ballistic on competitions and you never know your luck.

Can you write?

If so, get started with a local music site or online publication that reviews shows. U2 are very generous with their free tickets for reviewers and you will usually get a +1 also. Go and review some free local bands and get a good selection of writing together. Then apply for a reviewer slot with the publication and you might have some luck.

Offline CarryU2

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 12:59:21 AM »
For this leg, scrape up $168 for GA in Phoenix. If you can't book airfare and hotel now maybe in 5 months you'll be able afford car rental, cheaper motel, parking, etc. I know it's hard to wait. I would bet on the return leg in 2016. You'll have more time to save. Maybe on return leg they'll play in Dallas and you won't need to travel!

Offline mofomat

• Refugee
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 03:29:09 AM »
I'm really not trying to be offensive here, promise.

I have trouble accepting you're "poor" and have been since 1985. You have a car, albeit a temperamental one. What you mean is you've made financial decisions and your priority wasn't U2.

Tickets in the late 80's were not expensive, nor in the 90's. Even on this tour you can get GA for a reasonable amount. Sure, they're not coming near you in Texas, but I'm struggling to believe you have not had the chance to see them once in the last 29 years.

So maybe you're not as dedicated as you think you are, otherwise you WOULD have found a way to see them.

"Poor" is not being able to afford to put food in your mouth.

Offline centuryhouse

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 02:22:36 PM »
When a person begins with 'not trying to be offensive', they always are. You are having trouble accepting a premise that no one put forward, and which was based only on your own assumptions and a desire to believe the worst, rather than ask if you were missing something.

80s: I was a kid in a small town far from any tours, with parents who didn't allow me to go out at all and who disapproved of my listening to U2. We were in a small religious sect that viewed concerts as 'worldly' experiences that we shouldn't attend.

90s: I was still a slave to that way of thinking until the mid/late 90s, until I left the religion. I was married to a wife who didn't approve of such shows. And I also never heard about U2 tours (no internet, almost never listened to radio) and frankly coming out of such a sheltered lifestyle it took a while before I really considered concerts as an option I could indulge in without guilt.

2000s: started going out to local smaller concerts when I could but with the birth of two children, loss of my job and a career change, the start of several years of major health problems, a divorce, etc., my life was in a shambles and spending a few hundred on a show wasn't in the cards for me.

All of that is really beyond the scope of my question, as I didn't ask for anyone's approval of why I had never been to a show. I asked for helpful strategies, not ignorant judgmental-ism. The other commenters managed to do that, and I thank them for their thoughts and will be considering those.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm really not trying to be offensive here, promise.

I have trouble accepting you're "poor" and have been since 1985. You have a car, albeit a temperamental one. What you mean is you've made financial decisions and your priority wasn't U2.

Tickets in the late 80's were not expensive, nor in the 90's. Even on this tour you can get GA for a reasonable amount. Sure, they're not coming near you in Texas, but I'm struggling to believe you have not had the chance to see them once in the last 29 years.

So maybe you're not as dedicated as you think you are, otherwise you WOULD have found a way to see them.

"Poor" is not being able to afford to put food in your mouth.

Offline mofomat

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 04:34:42 PM »
Like I said. You've made financial decisions and your priority wasn't U2. It's not an insult. But you have come onto a public forum and chosen to share the fact that you haven't seen them in 29 years of being a fan. Although you haven't specifically asked for that aspect to be commented on, I am choosing to do so.

Offline Silver Lining

• Refugee
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 05:47:58 PM »
I think the honest answer to your question is the same one as to any question of the form "How do I get something I really want but can't afford at the moment"?

Save up for it!

While there are no certainties of more dates in 2016, they are highly likely. If you start saving now, a few $ each week should add up to the cost of tickets by the time they are announced and go on sale.

Offline parkman

• Wanderer
  • His love is continually teaching me how to kneel.
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 07:54:14 PM »
I think the best option would be to make a trip out of it. That's what I would do, be like hey! I wanna plan a trip to CA, or New York and then drop by a U2 concert. That way you kind of get the best bang for your buck, just get to enjoy a vacation on top of a U2 concert. I think it's a plan!

As far as tickets go, I got some at LA for $118 today. Sure they're not the best seats, but it's an arena, I'd imagine it'll still be great.
Btw, don't forget the two added New York shows go up on sale on Monday. Might be able to get a decent price!

Phoenix would be closest to you, if that's of more interest. Less things to see in Phoenix than LA or NYC though.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 11:04:06 PM »
Keep an eye on u2.com for future show announcements, GA tickets are reasonable. There's a good chance Dallas dates will be added later. If not, a stadium tour is almost guaranteed in 2016 and I'm sure Cowboy Stadium will once again be on the list. Those tickets will be cheap

Offline centuryhouse

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 04:45:24 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. As to the comments of 'you made poor financial decisions or you'd have seen them by now, thanks for the useless comment that didn't address what I asked. As to the advice of 'save money', I understand that is how one gets the money to purchase something  :o  ;)  And while I am certainly trying to save money for things I want to buy (including tickets), my question is a little more fine in scope than that principle.

What I was asking was strategies or advice for getting a good deal on a ticket without it being in the nosebleeds. I ask because I've never been to an arena or stadium show (other than The Cure, and I had won the tickets).

So my question centers around concepts such as: are there advantages worth the cost for getting a membership, such as better seats for the price? Are there certain places in an arena that are better locations typically for seeing the show and having a good view, without being as high in cost as the seats right up front? Are there certain ticket sellers to buy through as opposed to others, which have more bang for the buck? Is there a likelihood that a 2016 return wing of the tour would have lower priced tickets for similar visibility seating? Etc.

And thanks to the commentors with useful suggestions such as writing reviews, listening to radio stations for giveaways, etc.

Offline centuryhouse

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 04:46:08 PM »
Keep an eye on u2.com for future show announcements, GA tickets are reasonable. There's a good chance Dallas dates will be added later. If not, a stadium tour is almost guaranteed in 2016 and I'm sure Cowboy Stadium will once again be on the list. Those tickets will be cheap

Thanks! Cheap because of it being a return leg, or because stadiums are cheaper than arenas?

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 04:52:25 PM »
Take a larger jar, like twice the size of a normal mason jar. Now take a piece of paper, and write "The U2 Ticket fund," and tape it onto the front. Leave the jar right by your front door, and every day, if you have any change, put it in the jar. If you invite people over, mention it and maybe they'll give some change. It can add up pretty quick.  :)

Also, try looking for tickets close to the date of wherever you would like to go. Typically, the closer to the date of the show, the lesser the prices will be.

Good luck!

Offline shesarainbow

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • With a guitar ... on fire.
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 05:23:55 PM »
Are there certain places in an arena that are better locations typically for seeing the show and having a good view, without being as high in cost as the seats right up front? Are there certain ticket sellers to buy through as opposed to others, which have more bang for the buck?

Are you able to do standing? I only ask because you mentioned that you have health problems. If you are able to, then I think it definitely represents the best value for money. I know even GA tickets aren't cheap but they are reasonably priced for what you get. The floor doesn't necessarily give you the best 'view' but I don't think it can be beaten for atmosphere & overall experience.

If you buy tickets in the general sale then all ticket sellers should be selling at the same price, although fees may vary slightly. Personally, I would never dream of buying tickets from a secondary ticket seller. You will always pay way over the odds.

I am also on a fairly strict budget so I understand somewhat your situation. Sometimes it just doesn't matter how much you might really want to see U2 there are other things that simply have to take priority ... and it doesn't make you less of a fan.

I wish you luck in your quest for tickets. I can promise that if you do succeed you'll have the most amazing time & it will definitely be money well spent! All the best.  :)

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 05:37:29 PM »
I'd also suggest to make tentative plans to go to the nearest concert venue (Phoenix?) and look for tix on StubHub/eBay/whatever in the 1-2 days before the event.  Ticket prices often drop substantially as scalpers look to offload unsold inventory.  Also, there will be people who learn they cannot attend at the last minute due to unforeseen issues... so keep your eyes peeled.  If you're really ballsy, drive up and make a deal outside the arena.  Just be careful to not buy a fake ticket.

And since it's your first U2 show, don't be so picky about where you sit.  Get what you can at the price you can afford and enjoy the show.  Wherever you sit, you will love it.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
Every show I have been to has people in the GA line with 'extras' on show day. Get there early and walk up and down the line. Someone will sort you out.