Author Topic: U2 favorite band since 85, never seen them live, and poor :-p Suggestions?  (Read 4816 times)

Offline mofomat

• Refugee
Re: U2 favorite band since 85, never seen them live, and poor :-p Suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 03:04:50 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks for the suggestions. As to the comments of 'you made poor financial decisions or you'd have seen them by now, thanks for the useless comment that didn't address what I asked.

Amazing. Where did anybody say you made "poor" financial decisions? I said you made "financial decisions" and your priority wasn't U2. I didn't say your decisions were "poor".  ::)

With this degree of hysterical reaction to comments, maybe the internet isn't for you?

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 04:39:02 PM »
U2 SHOULD be coming to Dallas next year, I'd say the only thing that would prevent that is if a band member's health causes the tour to be cancelled.  It'll most likely be in stadiums, which would make GA tickets easier to get.  GAs are in the lowest price range, always south of $100 even with ticketbastard additional fees.  I suppose some of the nosebleeds will be cheaper than that, but if you've been waiting 30 years, you don't wanna do that. 

The best way to get GA tickets is to have a u2.com membership and participate in the presale, but that's another $50.  I'd suggest you start saving now.  I always keep a change jar and throw change in it to use specifically for the purpose of splurging on something I wouldn't normally. 

Good luck to you.  You really should try your hardest to see them at least once, they've never let me down. 

Offline Alloch

• Babyface
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 03:08:19 AM »
Like stated above.

You need to get your priorities right. For everyone of us it is a choice  to spend money on a concert, while we can use that money for other things. I do understand that saving the money is in your case (probably) a little harder, however it is still your own choice. People always want to sit for a dime on the first row (Dutch expression :) ). Try to save some money and put it in a jar. Like stated above, it looks sure they will come back in 2016 in arenas.

In any case, good luck with getting the tickets. Like I said, I would begin saving now and go for the 2016 tour.

I hoop you guys can understand what I said, I'm Dutch and to be honest, it has been a while i was speaking decent English.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 08:58:09 AM »
Keep an eye on u2.com for future show announcements, GA tickets are reasonable. There's a good chance Dallas dates will be added later. If not, a stadium tour is almost guaranteed in 2016 and I'm sure Cowboy Stadium will once again be on the list. Those tickets will be cheap

Thanks! Cheap because of it being a return leg, or because stadiums are cheaper than arenas?
Because stadium shows have a lot of GA tickets.....and U2 keeps GA ticket prices low

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 09:28:35 AM »
To add to this, I will say that one of THE BEST U2 shows I ever saw was during Vertigo, I was in the last rows behind the stage, I was living in a studio apartment with no kitchen in NYC at the time, money was tight so it was the best ticket I could get for that day....

Needless to say even though the seat was "terrible" it was such an amazing show and experience, dont get so caught up on GA, Red Zone, etc. They may get a better view, but in the end we will all hear the same amazing show.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 10:34:17 AM »
I would start saving money now for the stadium run in 2016. They'll play JerryLand and seats will be dirt cheap in the parking lot the night of the show.

Good luck; I hope things turn around for you.

Offline centuryhouse

• Stateless
  • Check out my music: THE LIGHTNING WALTZ on YouTube
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 04:30:01 PM »
Are you able to do standing? I only ask because you mentioned that you have health problems. If you are able to, then I think it definitely represents the best value for money. ... The floor doesn't necessarily give you the best 'view' but I don't think it can be beaten for atmosphere & overall experience. ... I am also on a fairly strict budget so I understand somewhat your situation. Sometimes it just doesn't matter how much you might really want to see U2 there are other things that simply have to take priority ... and it doesn't make you less of a fan.

Yeah, I can do standing. Thanks for that info!

Every show I have been to has people in the GA line with 'extras' on show day. Get there early and walk up and down the line. Someone will sort you out.

..make tentative plans to go to the nearest concert venue (Phoenix?) and look for tix on StubHub/eBay/whatever in the 1-2 days before the event.  Ticket prices often drop substantially as scalpers look to offload unsold inventory. ... drive up and make a deal outside the arena.  Just be careful to not buy a fake ticket.

I'll Google how to avoid the fakes. This might be a good plan; if you miss the show because of no tickets, at least you get a mini vacation in Phoenix (and I love desert areas).

U2 SHOULD be coming to Dallas next year.. It'll most likely be in stadiums, which would make GA tickets easier to get. ... The best way to get GA tickets is to have a u2.com membership... You really should try your hardest to see them at least once

I hope they do! While the trip to Phoenix or whereever would be cool, it adds a few hundred $ more onto the cost, after rental, hotel room, gas, etc. I believe my GF is getting me the membership for Christmas, specifically so I can get tickets sooner when they are announced. I've seen my other two favorite bands (Big Country in '93, and The Church a few times in the 2000's) but never U2. I've suddenly realized I really NEED to see this band, at least once.

I hoop you guys can understand what I said, I'm Dutch and to be honest, it has been a while i was speaking decent English.

Absolutely! No problem understanding you. Thanks for the comment.

Thanks to everyone for the good suggestions and positive energy!

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 12:06:05 PM »
To add to this, I will say that one of THE BEST U2 shows I ever saw was during Vertigo, I was in the last rows behind the stage, I was living in a studio apartment with no kitchen in NYC at the time, money was tight so it was the best ticket I could get for that day....

Needless to say even though the seat was "terrible" it was such an amazing show and experience, dont get so caught up on GA, Red Zone, etc. They may get a better view, but in the end we will all hear the same amazing show.

Correct!

One of the best u2 shows I ever saw was Detroit 2 in 2005.  It was a consolation prize to myself, as I only bought tickets because Cleveland sold out so quickly and I really wanted to do a 3rd show.  I was behind the stage, upper upper level.  The setlist is part of what made it great.  Gloria, The Ocean, Wild Horses, First Time, crumbs from your table (one I only a few performances ever!), and an epic version of BAD to end the show!  I had previously seen the show in Pittsburgh from the front row, and while that was great, the Detroit show was just as special in a completely different way.  If nosebleeds are all you can afford, U2/Bono are such great prrformers that you still feel like a part of the event!

Offline satellitedog

• Child of Grace
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2014, 03:39:39 PM »
Sell your blood, take part in medical experiments, sell a kidney or two...

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2014, 09:53:34 PM »
Sell all three.

Offline Matty_Mullens

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "Brevity is the essence of wit" Brian Eno-1984
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2014, 02:25:32 PM »
CenturyHouse, don't worry about anyones opinions or thoughts.  I wish you the very best in your quest to see the greatest band on Earth.  It may be expensive but it is well worth it.  Good luck!

Offline Superstars

• Babyface
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2014, 10:19:36 PM »
Have you thought about maybe trying a crowdfunding site online? Like GoFundMe.com. Friends and family can contribute whatever they can to help out. Should be fairly easy to raise a few hundred bucks in a short amount of time. Sometimes strangers even contribute to those fundraisers if they're moved by your story or if they can relate to your circumstances. And personally I'd have no trouble kicking in a few bucks to help a fellow U2 fan see their first show. I'm sure other people would feel the same way, too. Best of luck. And let us know if you got the subscription to U2.com as a Christmas gift!

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2015, 09:43:12 PM »
Hi centuryhouse, ignore the haters, most of us here are cheering you on. I am disabled and so therefore on a fixed income. If standing is not an option for you,  then you are in great shape. That said, I have manged to see the band on both the Elevation and 360 fairly cheep and without much discomfort.
The first question is, do you try to get tickets for a scheduled show in Phoenix in 2014, or wait and see if the band comes to its sense and schedules more dates next year and comes to Texas...which is likely, but not certain. I would wait a bit before buying my tickets. Wait till as close to the show as you are willing. If you are reasonably tall, no area in GA will be anything less than a good view in an arena, but those seats are also the least likely to be resold at anything other than a high price. If you have not seen the band, and since these are arena shows,  even the upper level seats  can give you an experience you will never forget. It is U2! GA is out or me, but with some patience, i  managed to get some good seats at or below cost just by waiting. Stubbhub is very reliable and safe, you can also find great deals on Craig's list, but purchase tickets from CL with extreme caution. Do look on Craig's List for cheap parking at a residence near the show on the day of the show. I saved a lot of money and walking with that one.  Find you a Days Inn or Motel 6 nearby if you need to stay overnight. Cheap, clean and safe. A simple rule to follow, the less money you can afford to spend, the more patient and vigilant you should be. Good Luck!