Author Topic: "Camping Out" for GA  (Read 11184 times)

Offline OnlyU2

• Holy Joe
  • Who's to say what it is will break you
"Camping Out" for GA
« on: December 07, 2014, 11:02:18 AM »
I purchased 2 RedZone tickets for the opening show in Vancouver.  When tickets go on sale tomorrow, I will be getting 2 GA tickets to go with another friend.  He offered to camp out in line all night and all day, and I would join him in line shortly before they open the doors.
First off, since they are playing in a smaller arena, is it necessary to camp out to get a good spot by the stage? 
Will people get annoyed when I "cut in" line with my friend?

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
Re: "Camping Out" for GA
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 11:06:25 AM »
This is actually a huge controversy. In the past a group of rich fans who traveled to every show and setup signup lists at the front of the queue. One person would stay and the other 50 or so people would go enjoy the day. The guy who stayed would shoo off anyone who up to be second in line. But the concert venues all confirmed that they had nothing to do with this sign-in sheet and it wasn't valid.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 11:09:30 AM »
Grabs popcorn......

Offline mofomat

• Refugee
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 11:38:39 AM »
This is EXACTLY the reason why I will not recognise these self-appointed Generals and there "system" for organising the GA line. It has NOTHING to do with them and they have no authority.

Anyone pushes in front of me then all Hell will break loose.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 11:45:04 AM by mofomat »

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 09:47:04 AM »
I'm going to try what I did at Montreal 2 in 2011: Show up an hour before the show, get through the gate, and then casually wander up to the front. Got in the inner ring 10 feet from the stage.

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 11:08:00 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Grabs popcorn......
rofl

Offline OnlyU2

• Holy Joe
  • Who's to say what it is will break you
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 02:47:00 PM »
Well my friend doesn't have to worry about camping out any more.  I didn't get 2 tickets for GA.  Instead I got 1 ticket for myself in section 121.  When I tried for 2 tickets I was only getting the $300+ and I already paid more than that for the RedZones for the first night. 

Offline mofomat

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 04:37:35 PM »
Well my friend doesn't have to worry about camping out any more.  I didn't get 2 tickets for GA.  Instead I got 1 ticket for myself in section 121.  When I tried for 2 tickets I was only getting the $300+ and I already paid more than that for the RedZones for the first night.

On behalf of all the people in that queue with good manners, thank God for that.

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 10:31:26 PM »
I have GA and won't be able to queue early. I figure it'll still be fun and better than the seats.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 10:55:27 PM »
I'm going to try what I did at Montreal 2 in 2011: Show up an hour before the show, get through the gate, and then casually wander up to the front. Got in the inner ring 10 feet from the stage.
ah, so you're THAT dude, the one I strongarm out of the way

Offline zoratti

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 10:59:48 PM »
This is actually a huge controversy. In the past a group of rich fans who traveled to every show and setup signup lists at the front of the queue. One person would stay and the other 50 or so people would go enjoy the day. The guy who stayed would shoo off anyone who up to be second in line. But the concert venues all confirmed that they had nothing to do with this sign-in sheet and it wasn't valid.

This can't be real, I almost don't believe that people let them get away with this...?

I was planning to camp out for a couple hours for the first show in Toronto, and on the second night just walk in during the opening acts and stand wherever. I was thinking it would be a fun experience and I could make some hardcore-U2-fan friends.
Is it worth my time? How early would I want to be there to make it worth the effort?

Also, unfortunately I've only ever had seats at U2 shows in the past but have been to countless other shows with GA tickets. I love crowds, I love jumping and dancing and enjoying the show.
How are the crowds near the front at U2 shows (more specifically, Toronto U2 shows)? I have a bad feeling they will be very stiff and not as exciting as my dreams.

Offline RobBankRobber

• Refugee
  • I kissed your lips and broke your heart.
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 11:30:45 PM »

This can't be real, I almost don't believe that people let them get away with this...?

I was planning to camp out for a couple hours for the first show in Toronto, and on the second night just walk in during the opening acts and stand wherever. I was thinking it would be a fun experience and I could make some hardcore-U2-fan friends.
Is it worth my time? How early would I want to be there to make it worth the effort?

Also, unfortunately I've only ever had seats at U2 shows in the past but have been to countless other shows with GA tickets. I love crowds, I love jumping and dancing and enjoying the show.
How are the crowds near the front at U2 shows (more specifically, Toronto U2 shows)? I have a bad feeling they will be very stiff and not as exciting as my dreams.

This is very real.. A group of fans take it upon themselves to "run" the general admission line, and they're at EVERY SHOW. They claim to have gotten the OK from U2's management, but don't be fooled, they don't work for ANYBODY. It's their ploy to make sure their crew is UP FRONT at EVERY single show. This is EXACTLY why U2 implemented the random GA ticket scan for entry into the "ellipse" during the Vertigo Tour.. They are tired of seeing the same faces. They even clearly state it on the Disc 2 Documentary of the Vertigo 2005 Chicago DVD.

During a 360 show in NJ, I showed up the night before, and some random dude tried giving me a number somewhere in the 50's written on my hand in black marker .. When NO ONE else was around. He CLAIMED he had been at the stadium all week.. And that friends of his had already checked in and went home to rest.

So you're telling me you can show up days before the event, get stamped as "5th in Line", then go home for DAYS???

ABSURD. And I gave them hell all day for it, but sadly, no one joined me. Everyone followed along like sheep.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 11:34:23 PM by RobBankRobber »

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 03:51:52 AM »

This is very real.. A group of fans take it upon themselves to "run" the general admission line, and they're at EVERY SHOW. They claim to have gotten the OK from U2's management, but don't be fooled, they don't work for ANYBODY. It's their ploy to make sure their crew is UP FRONT at EVERY single show. This is EXACTLY why U2 implemented the random GA ticket scan for entry into the "ellipse" during the Vertigo Tour.. They are tired of seeing the same faces. They even clearly state it on the Disc 2 Documentary of the Vertigo 2005 Chicago DVD.

During a 360 show in NJ, I showed up the night before, and some random dude tried giving me a number somewhere in the 50's written on my hand in black marker .. When NO ONE else was around. He CLAIMED he had been at the stadium all week.. And that friends of his had already checked in and went home to rest.

So you're telling me you can show up days before the event, get stamped as "5th in Line", then go home for DAYS???

ABSURD. And I gave them hell all day for it, but sadly, no one joined me. Everyone followed along like sheep.

When no one else was around?

Well that would make you numero uno in the queue in my book, then. I sincerely hope you claimed that exact spot and told that joker to do one.

Offline RobBankRobber

• Refugee
  • I kissed your lips and broke your heart.
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 10:49:17 AM »

Well that would make you numero uno in the queue in my book, then. I sincerely hope you claimed that exact spot and told that joker to do one.

That was exactly my argument.. No one should be allowed to "check-in" days before the event, then go home and relax.

Offline zoratti

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 11:52:01 AM »

That was exactly my argument.. No one should be allowed to "check-in" days before the event, then go home and relax.

I'm actually so cheesed about this right now.
It will be my pleasure to stand up against these self-righteous jerks come July.

You say you showed up the night before a show eh? That's dedication! Is that what I'm up against? haha