Author Topic: "Camping Out" for GA  (Read 11170 times)

Offline wholelottazoso

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: "Camping Out" for GA
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 11:56:31 AM »
They should implement the Springsteen lottery system, about as fair a system as there can be for GA, no reason someone who has to work that day or doesn't have the means to travel to multiple shows shouldn't have a fair shot at a good spot on the floor

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 12:07:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They should implement the Springsteen lottery system, about as fair a system as there can be for GA, no reason someone who has to work that day or doesn't have the means to travel to multiple shows shouldn't have a fair shot at a good spot on the floor

?

I've been GA for many Springsteen shows (Rising tour and Magic tour) and there was no lottery. For the Rising me and my buddy were way back but when the doors opened we ran like hell to get to the front. The older Springsteen fan's who were walking and travel to dozens of shows weren't happy with us but I didn't care. They used the same system talked about earlier. They travel all over and organize the GA line. Screw 'em, we just ran right by them.

Offline RobBankRobber

• Refugee
  • I kissed your lips and broke your heart.
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 12:11:41 PM »
This is actually a huge controversy. In the past a group of rich fans who traveled to every show and setup signup lists at the front of the queue. One person would stay and the other 50 or so people would go enjoy the day. The guy who stayed would shoo off anyone who up to be second in line. But the concert venues all confirmed that they had nothing to do with this sign-in sheet and it wasn't valid.

This can't be real, I almost don't believe that people let them get away with this...?

I was planning to camp out for a couple hours for the first show in Toronto, and on the second night just walk in during the opening acts and stand wherever. I was thinking it would be a fun experience and I could make some hardcore-U2-fan friends.
Is it worth my time? How early would I want to be there to make it worth the effort?

Also, unfortunately I've only ever had seats at U2 shows in the past but have been to countless other shows with GA tickets. I love crowds, I love jumping and dancing and enjoying the show.
How are the crowds near the front at U2 shows (more specifically, Toronto U2 shows)? I have a bad feeling they will be very stiff and not as exciting as my dreams.

This is very real.. A group of fans take it upon themselves to "run" the general admission line, and they're at EVERY SHOW. They claim to have gotten the OK from U2's management, but don't be fooled, they don't work for ANYBODY. It's their ploy to make sure their crew is UP FRONT at EVERY single show. This is EXACTLY why U2 implemented the random GA ticket scan for entry into the "ellipse" during the Vertigo Tour.. They are tired of seeing the same faces. They even clearly state it on the Disc 2 Documentary of the Vertigo 2005 Chicago DVD.

During a 360 show in NJ, I showed up the night before, and some random dude tried giving me a number somewhere in the 50's written on my hand in black marker .. When NO ONE else was around. He CLAIMED he had been at the stadium all week.. And that friends of his had already checked in and went home to rest.

So you're telling me you can show up days before the event, get stamped as "5th in Line", then go home for DAYS???

ABSURD. And I gave them hell all day for it, but sadly, no one joined me. Everyone followed along like sheep.

When no one else was around?

Well that would make you numero uno in the queue in my book, then. I sincerely hope you claimed that exact spot and told that joker to do one.

That was exactly my argument.. No one should be allowed to "check-in" days before the event, then go home and relax.

I'm actually so cheesed about this right now.
It will be my pleasure to stand up against these self-righteous jerks come July.

You say you showed up the night before a show eh? That's dedication! Is that what I'm up against? haha

Yeah, I showed up that early because I knew it was a stadium show and there would be A LOT of people with GA tickets.

Once the dude wrote a number in the 50's on my hand, I asked him where everyone else was.. That's when he stuttered and explained people had "checked in" with him and are resting somewhere nearby.. Hmm, like probably at a hotel or at home. They are a big group of friends, and they take turns "running" the GA line, to ensure they are all up front, dead center in front of Bono at every show.

And that's always where I see them.

Offline wholelottazoso

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 12:14:36 PM »

?

I've been GA for many Springsteen shows (Rising tour and Magic tour) and there was no lottery. For the Rising me and my buddy were way back but when the doors opened we ran like hell to get to the front. The older Springsteen fan's who were walking and travel to dozens of shows weren't happy with us but I didn't care. They used the same system talked about earlier. They travel all over and organize the GA line. Screw 'em, we just ran right by them.

I don't believe they had the lottery for the rising tour and I also don't think they do it in Europe (not sure where you saw him) but for north american shows magic tour and forward, Springsteen's people run a lottery where you have until approx 4:30 to show up and get a number (if you come early you are free to leave and return in time for the draw) then they do a draw and whatever number wins becomes first in line, and everyone lines up behind them in numerical order, and then people are entered into the arena a couple of hours before show time in order

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 12:18:31 PM »

?

I don't believe they had the lottery for the rising tour and I also don't think they do it in Europe (not sure where you saw him) but for north american shows magic tour and forward, Springsteen's people run a lottery where you have until approx 4:30 to show up and get a number (if you come early you are free to leave and return in time for the draw) then they do a draw and whatever number wins becomes first in line, and everyone lines up behind them in numerical order, and then people are entered into the arena a couple of hours before show time in order

Yup, you are correct. I remember now for the Magic tour we got to the arena early and were able to leave and come back. We were still able to get close to the front of the stage on Stevie's side even though we weren't close to first in line after the numbers were drawn.

Offline chiso

• Stateless
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 12:33:21 PM »
This is actually a huge controversy. In the past a group of rich fans who traveled to every show and setup signup lists at the front of the queue. One person would stay and the other 50 or so people would go enjoy the day. The guy who stayed would shoo off anyone who up to be second in line. But the concert venues all confirmed that they had nothing to do with this sign-in sheet and it wasn't valid.

This can't be real, I almost don't believe that people let them get away with this...?

I was planning to camp out for a couple hours for the first show in Toronto, and on the second night just walk in during the opening acts and stand wherever. I was thinking it would be a fun experience and I could make some hardcore-U2-fan friends.
Is it worth my time? How early would I want to be there to make it worth the effort?

Also, unfortunately I've only ever had seats at U2 shows in the past but have been to countless other shows with GA tickets. I love crowds, I love jumping and dancing and enjoying the show.
How are the crowds near the front at U2 shows (more specifically, Toronto U2 shows)? I have a bad feeling they will be very stiff and not as exciting as my dreams.

This is very real.. A group of fans take it upon themselves to "run" the general admission line, and they're at EVERY SHOW. They claim to have gotten the OK from U2's management, but don't be fooled, they don't work for ANYBODY. It's their ploy to make sure their crew is UP FRONT at EVERY single show. This is EXACTLY why U2 implemented the random GA ticket scan for entry into the "ellipse" during the Vertigo Tour.. They are tired of seeing the same faces. They even clearly state it on the Disc 2 Documentary of the Vertigo 2005 Chicago DVD.

During a 360 show in NJ, I showed up the night before, and some random dude tried giving me a number somewhere in the 50's written on my hand in black marker .. When NO ONE else was around. He CLAIMED he had been at the stadium all week.. And that friends of his had already checked in and went home to rest.

So you're telling me you can show up days before the event, get stamped as "5th in Line", then go home for DAYS???

ABSURD. And I gave them hell all day for it, but sadly, no one joined me. Everyone followed along like sheep.

When no one else was around?

Well that would make you numero uno in the queue in my book, then. I sincerely hope you claimed that exact spot and told that joker to do one.

That was exactly my argument.. No one should be allowed to "check-in" days before the event, then go home and relax.

I'm actually so cheesed about this right now.
It will be my pleasure to stand up against these self-righteous jerks come July.

You say you showed up the night before a show eh? That's dedication! Is that what I'm up against? haha

Yeah, I showed up that early because I knew it was a stadium show and there would be A LOT of people with GA tickets.

Once the dude wrote a number in the 50's on my hand, I asked him where everyone else was.. That's when he stuttered and explained people had "checked in" with him and are resting somewhere nearby.. Hmm, like probably at a hotel or at home. They are a big group of friends, and they take turns "running" the GA line, to ensure they are all up front, dead center in front of Bono at every show.

And that's always where I see them.

Whoa...Thanks for the heads-up!

Offline RobBankRobber

• Refugee
  • I kissed your lips and broke your heart.
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 12:38:51 PM »
Not a problem.

We shall see if they return for this tour.

Offline mofomat

• Refugee
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 12:44:44 PM »

The fairest system is first come first served. Those who queue the longest get the best spot. End of story.

If somebody has to work then they should take a day off. If they can't then they should go to a show on a day they don't have to work.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2014, 05:29:16 PM »
I wonder if there are any U2 GA Nazis on this forum who would care to comment or defend the practices being described here on past tours.

Can anyone comment on what was done for GA during 360?  (I was in seats for all the shows I went to). 

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2014, 06:13:40 PM »
I wonder if there are any U2 GA Nazis on this forum who would care to comment or defend the practices being described here on past tours.

Can anyone comment on what was done for GA during 360?  (I was in seats for all the shows I went to).

I don't know if they are ,but I for one am not putting up with any self appointed GA security this time ,I could tell you that .

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2014, 06:29:39 PM »

I'm not sure, many of them are lovely people and having someone manage a lineup fairly has been a great feature of tours in the past.

It's the 'safety in numbers' approach of blocking out the first 50 spots that stinks.

In Melbourne in 2010 I was walking past the night before. They wrote #9 on my hand. I said I was going home.

I came back the next morning and my name was still #9.i rubbed number off and rejoined queue.

But some had slept in tents. That's fair.

In Brisbane though it was brilliant. Managed by security and strictly policed. Brisbane rocks.

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2014, 06:35:39 PM »

I'm not sure, many of them are lovely people and having someone manage a lineup fairly has been a great feature of tours in the past.

It's the 'safety in numbers' approach of blocking out the first 50 spots that stinks.

In Melbourne in 2010 I was walking past the night before. They wrote #9 on my hand. I said I was going home.

I came back the next morning and my name was still #9.i rubbed number off and rejoined queue.

But some had slept in tents. That's fair.

In Brisbane though it was brilliant. Managed by security and strictly policed. Brisbane rocks.

Sounds like in Australia it was a whole different story compared to what when on here in the States.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2014, 06:59:19 PM »
Oh don't get me wrong, it had its moments.

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2014, 07:19:00 PM »

I think they are mostly on that other fan site, the one with the blue background. ;)

Offline mofomat

• Refugee
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2014, 03:08:56 AM »

Zoost may be able to help you out there but he's conspicuously absent from this thread. He's probably deeply embarrassed being in the minority with his selfish ideas.