Author Topic: "Camping Out" for GA  (Read 11179 times)

Offline RobBankRobber

• Refugee
  • I kissed your lips and broke your heart.
Re: "Camping Out" for GA
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2014, 09:55:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I wonder if there are any U2 GA Nazis on this forum who would care to comment or defend the practices being described here on past tours.

Can anyone comment on what was done for GA during 360?  (I was in seats for all the shows I went to). 

The story I posted was from a GA show during 360.

Offline cmmott

• Babyface
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2014, 11:02:05 AM »
Got into it during the Vertigo Tour in Phoenix with some gals who did not like that we were first in line. They always hold up the "three sisters" sign and somehow end up on stage. Anyway, we were #1 and 2 and they literally harassed us for two hours along with their friends and made the experience so miserable, we were forced to move. Arena security was not allowing them to implement their own numbering system so they resorted to this tactic to get people that were in their way out of line. Pretty pathetic....

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2014, 11:07:26 AM »
Got into it during the Vertigo Tour in Phoenix with some gals who did not like that we were first in line. They always hold up the "three sisters" sign and somehow end up on stage. Anyway, we were #1 and 2 and they literally harassed us for two hours along with their friends and made the experience so miserable, we were forced to move. Arena security was not allowing them to implement their own numbering system so they resorted to this tactic to get people that were in their way out of line. Pretty pathetic....

Harassed you about what?
It's a pretty simple concept, the people who are at the head of the queue are at the head of the queue. In this case that was you.

Offline cmmott

• Babyface
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2014, 11:15:44 AM »
Basically about us not having earned the right to be there. Since them and their group travel between U2 shows, they made it very clear that they were the "real" fans and that the front of the GA was reserved for true U2 fans. I have been to 15 U2 shows so I am no slouch, but apparently it did not live up to their standards. When we refused to move, they started saying things like "you can't last anyway, the first time you get up to use the bathroom or get lunch, we are taking over your spot." It got really mature when they started lobbing snack food at us.

I am doing GA in Phoenix with my wife this time around and she has never been to a U2 show. I am really hoping that this group either does not show or tones it down a bit.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2014, 11:18:36 AM »
Basically about us not having earned the right to be there. Since them and their group travel between U2 shows, they made it very clear that they were the "real" fans and that the front of the GA was reserved for true U2 fans. I have been to 15 U2 shows so I am no slouch, but apparently it did not live up to their standards. When we refused to move, they started saying things like "you can't last anyway, the first time you get up to use the bathroom or get lunch, we are taking over your spot." It got really mature when they started lobbing snack food at us.

I am doing GA in Phoenix with my wife this time around and she has never been to a U2 show. I am really hoping that this group either does not show or tones it down a bit.

Simple question...who was their first?

The answer to that question determines who 'earned' that spot.

If these people are members here I'd really like to hear their logic behind such selfish and frankly pathetic behaviour.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 11:20:22 AM by an tha »

Offline cmmott

• Babyface
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2014, 11:19:52 AM »
Agree An Tha. Of course, this assumes your talking with rationale people  ;)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2014, 11:22:06 AM »

The sense of entitlement is stunning. I find it hard to believe that people actually behave like that.

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2014, 11:51:57 AM »

The sense of entitlement is stunning. I find it hard to believe that people actually behave like that.

Most U2 fans I've met in person are super cool which makes their behavior even worse/unexpected.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2014, 12:27:55 PM »

Most U2 fans I've met in person are super cool which makes their behavior even worse/unexpected.

I would guess all bands have them, self appointed superfans who have a sense of entitlement.

Thankfully I would imagine they are very much the minority and not at all representative of most of the hardy souls who spend hours upon end in these queues.

Offline blissfulmitch

• Babyface
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2014, 01:08:12 PM »
For 360 in NJ, we had 97 and 98 written on our hands. We never really left the front, and my girlfriend (now fiancee) went to the deli, got us food, and then it was my turn, etc. One of us was always on line, and didn't really have a problem with the people up front.

I always thought U2 fans were some of the nicest fans out there. And I've done GA for every tour since PopMart. But I never really met these fans all that often, so haven't really had a problem with them. It's pretty annoying, though.

Fans at the Unforgettable Fire cover band's shows, though? Some of them are pretty terrible people.

Offline cmmott

• Babyface
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2014, 01:58:44 PM »
99% are great people. I think I learned its best not to attempt to be in front of the line. That is when you are most likely to run into the self entitled super-fan. At the end of the day, being 50-150 or so gets you a solid spot anyway.

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2014, 02:01:31 PM »
So these are basically U2 Hipsters.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2014, 02:04:10 PM »
99% are great people. I think I learned its best not to attempt to be in front of the line. That is when you are most likely to run into the self entitled super-fan. At the end of the day, being 50-150 or so gets you a solid spot anyway.

I disagree, taking these people on and exposing their selfishness and closed shop mentallity really should happen, otherwise they will continue to ride roughshod over others.

If i was someone who wanted to get up front and go through the hours of waiting I would absolutely take them on and stand my ground. Anybody who is in front of me is in front of me fair do's but anybody behind is behind, regardless of their own warped view of things.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 02:07:34 PM by an tha »

Offline cmmott

• Babyface
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2014, 02:11:43 PM »
What's funny is that if you do a search for "three sisters" and U2, you actually get hits of video clips of them being pulled on stage at multiple shows. I guess in a way, if the band seeks you out like this to come on stage all the time, you likely develop a sense of entitlement. Perhaps Bono should consider rotating his on stage guest a little more ;-0. You can tell from this video link that they expect it and are perfectly comfortable being on stage.

Offline cmmott

• Babyface
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2014, 02:17:30 PM »

I disagree, taking these people on and exposing their selfishness and closed shop mentallity really should happen, otherwise they will continue to ride roughshod over others.

If i was someone who wanted to get up front and go through the hours of waiting I would absolutely take them on and stand my ground. Anybody who is in front of me is in front of me fair do's but anybody behind is behind, regardless of their own warped view of things.

I don't disagree with you. That particular day, I happen to be with someone who I was unwilling to expose to that kind of behavior or any sort of altercation. Just chose the peaceful route.