Author Topic: "Camping Out" for GA  (Read 11178 times)

Offline mofomat

• Refugee
Re: "Camping Out" for GA
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2014, 07:27:28 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well the number on wrist thing certainly bombed at Wembley! Anyone looking to do this in the UK next year please note… a queue is a queue. Inked numbers will have no relevance. Just sit back, enjoy your day and put your felt tip away.

People in the UK wouldn't stand for it. They're reasonable and they invented queuing. This felt tip business seems to be an American thing, but then they aren't as experienced when it comes to GA at concerts.

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2014, 03:34:04 PM »
Not complaining, I think it's good to air stuff out, just don't usually see this forum get so personal. While I disagree with the fake queue, queue (50 people held in line by one person), a fist fight at a U2 concert doesn't sound like great press for the band.

Offline giggmann

• Babyface
  • AKA @markpeterboro #setlistgeek
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2014, 06:34:26 PM »
The only UK show that I have queued up for was Cardiff on the Vertigo tour . I joined early afternoon and there must have been a hundred or so people ahead of me at my gate . The queue became very long and started running into a road. The security staff overcame this problem by walkingthe tail end of the queue to the gate to form a second parallel queue. This effectively meant that at the front of the queue were now persons number 1 and 301, followed by 2 and 302, 3 and 303 etc etc.  (nobody had any numbers , I've just used them to demonstrate the situation)  There were plenty of moans and complaints to the security , who didn't give a stuff.  I haven't tried to queue in the UK since.

Offline jerryp68

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2014, 03:34:36 AM »
The GA nazi's are in fact real. They tried playing that stuff with me on the last tour in Nashville. I arrived at 11PM the day before the show and was like number 10 in line with only about 20 people there. They tried to tell me I had to sign up for the Q so I was like okay sure, gave them my name and they said my number was like 400 lol so I said you're dreaming because my ass isn't leaving, I'll be here until I walk into the show. Morning comes around and all these idiots that had there name on this list start showing up, some where on the list like 5 days before the show. Couple guys come up to me and said "you have to move" I started laughing and said "MOVE ME!" they started getting louder and I continued to tell them you want me moved you're more than well to try It, but I guarantee you won't like the outcome. Then they proceed to tell me that when we move to get into the "U2 queue" down the street that U2's people will move me, so I told them so be it and I guess we'll find out won't we (they did know that I knew Dave who was U2's guy that organized the actual U2 line) so Dave shows up and tells them point blank that U2 does not honor their queue and doesn't really care, then tells us to start walking to the area on the other side of the venue to get our real number. So I walk down and get in line. Dave asked one of the "GA Nazi's" to start assigning numbers which were written on your hand with magic marker, this is what U2 honors and when you get that number your spot in line is held, you're welcome to go to your car and get a chair, cooler, blow up mattress, food or basically anything you want while you wait,  but you have to return everything  to your car at about 4:30 and shortly after they start handing out wrist bands, you can also leave to eat or whatever you like. Most people do leave but not very long out of respect to others waiting/suffering in line, that's part of the whole process. Anyway back to the "GA Nazi" she starts handing out numbers to everyone and tries to skip my wife and I so I turn to Dave and say "hey man goofy is trying to skip me" he said "GIVE HIM A NUMBER" she did and walked on pi**ed off, My number? 33 so the moral of the story is don't let these selfish a**holes push you around. Sad but true that there are U2 fans like this, which is not in the spirt or the message of U2 so I ask the question, do they even listen to the music ? or are they there because they think it makes them cool? I would say they probably do listen to the music, but they like all of this type of fan don't actually hear "it" I'll also say that 85% of us GA people are some of the best people you'll ever find and would do anything for you.

See you all at the shows this summer  :)

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2014, 05:12:28 AM »
If you thought the GA nazis were bad, wait til you see the grammar & Paragraph nazis...!

;)

Offline mofomat

• Refugee
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2014, 10:59:18 AM »
The GA nazi's are in fact real. They tried playing that stuff with me on the last tour in Nashville. I arrived at 11PM the day before the show and was like number 10 in line with only about 20 people there. They tried to tell me I had to sign up for the Q so I was like okay sure, gave them my name and they said my number was like 400 lol so I said you're dreaming because my ass isn't leaving, I'll be here until I walk into the show. Morning comes around and all these idiots that had there name on this list start showing up, some where on the list like 5 days before the show. Couple guys come up to me and said "you have to move" I started laughing and said "MOVE ME!" they started getting louder and I continued to tell them you want me moved you're more than well to try It, but I guarantee you won't like the outcome. Then they proceed to tell me that when we move to get into the "U2 queue" down the street that U2's people will move me, so I told them so be it and I guess we'll find out won't we (they did know that I knew Dave who was U2's guy that organized the actual U2 line) so Dave shows up and tells them point blank that U2 does not honor their queue and doesn't really care, then tells us to start walking to the area on the other side of the venue to get our real number. So I walk down and get in line. Dave asked one of the "GA Nazi's" to start assigning numbers which were written on your hand with magic marker, this is what U2 honors and when you get that number your spot in line is held, you're welcome to go to your car and get a chair, cooler, blow up mattress, food or basically anything you want while you wait,  but you have to return everything  to your car at about 4:30 and shortly after they start handing out wrist bands, you can also leave to eat or whatever you like. Most people do leave but not very long out of respect to others waiting/suffering in line, that's part of the whole process. Anyway back to the "GA Nazi" she starts handing out numbers to everyone and tries to skip my wife and I so I turn to Dave and say "hey man goofy is trying to skip me" he said "GIVE HIM A NUMBER" she did and walked on pi**ed off, My number? 33 so the moral of the story is don't let these selfish a**holes push you around. Sad but true that there are U2 fans like this, which is not in the spirt or the message of U2 so I ask the question, do they even listen to the music ? or are they there because they think it makes them cool? I would say they probably do listen to the music, but they like all of this type of fan don't actually hear "it" I'll also say that 85% of us GA people are some of the best people you'll ever find and would do anything for you.

Thanks for sharing. Yet ANOTHER example why people should ignore the self-appointed queue organisers. Anything to say Zoost?

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2014, 11:09:17 AM »
That reminded me. People were signing up online at another site and using that as the "official" list. Totally forgot about that.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2014, 11:41:56 AM »
So you can join a queue online now? Wow.

I'd like to put my name down now as number 1 for the harrods boxing day sale.

Ok, cool - that's me sorted.

Offline rcamu2

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2014, 02:28:34 PM »
I've started the lines for all 4 nights at the forum. I went up there yesterday and wrote "1" on my hand.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2014, 03:09:17 PM »

Great story thanks for sharing.  Curious to know what you would have done had you not known Dave from the U2 crew.  Same thing?  I am in GA for LA1 and I expect to get to the forum around 4pm, so I neither expect nor desire to fight about a place in line.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2014, 03:13:08 PM »
The GA queues are a joke. The venues or band management should handle it themselves.

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2014, 03:52:36 PM »
Wow, these stories suck! Ive been to U2 ga maybe 5 times? The earliest I got there was 3 hours tops and one time I was at the top of the elipse (atyclb) and held bono with some other fans during The Fly when he jumped in the crowd. Overall Im 6'1 and get a damn good view anywhere in GA, if anything I feel bad when a short person is behind me and usually offer them my spot if its not gonna cause a domino effect, I think for Phoenix I will show up early one day and around 7pm the next.

Side note though! I am considering a U2 fan GA jam out for Phoenix? Instead of waiting online baking in the AZ sun we bring some guitars and play some U2 hits together while we wait, anyone down? Hell I will even buy a cheap o guitar on craigslist and then leave it there for someone when the show starts.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2014, 04:29:40 PM »

Thanks for sharing. Yet ANOTHER example why people should ignore the self-appointed queue organisers. Anything to say Zoost?

Yes, a lot. But you seem to think that your are much more intelligent than I am, so whats the point?

Offline rcamu2

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2014, 06:17:23 PM »

Great story thanks for sharing.  Curious to know what you would have done had you not known Dave from the U2 crew.  Same thing?  I am in GA for LA1 and I expect to get to the forum around 4pm, so I neither expect nor desire to fight about a place in line.

I can arrange to meet you and write #2 on your hand.

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2014, 07:48:37 PM »
@OP: Your question was, is it cool if your friend saves your spot? I'm going to ask you: how you would feel if you stood patiently in line for 12,14,24 hours, only to have the person in front of you bring in all his friends an hour before the show?

As for the Queue Nazis or police or whatever you want to call them.....They are necessary and I actually welcome them. Granted, they don't hold ay real power and so I agree that U2 should gave formal GA police. (Funny story - I thought one of the queue police in Buffalo 2001 was a legit fan until he asked me what side of the stage Edge usually stands on..... ???)But fact of the matter is, there are far too many self-entitled people who will cut lines without regard for anyone else. Not just at U2 shows. And that is simply not cool.