Author Topic: "Camping Out" for GA  (Read 11172 times)

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
Re: "Camping Out" for GA
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2014, 09:19:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The GA nazi's are in fact real. They tried playing that stuff with me on the last tour in Nashville. I arrived at 11PM the day before the show and was like number 10 in line with only about 20 people there. They tried to tell me I had to sign up for the Q so I was like okay sure, gave them my name and they said my number was like 400 lol so I said you're dreaming because my ass isn't leaving, I'll be here until I walk into the show. Morning comes around and all these idiots that had there name on this list start showing up, some where on the list like 5 days before the show. Couple guys come up to me and said "you have to move" I started laughing and said "MOVE ME!" they started getting louder and I continued to tell them you want me moved you're more than well to try It, but I guarantee you won't like the outcome. Then they proceed to tell me that when we move to get into the "U2 queue" down the street that U2's people will move me, so I told them so be it and I guess we'll find out won't we (they did know that I knew Dave who was U2's guy that organized the actual U2 line) so Dave shows up and tells them point blank that U2 does not honor their queue and doesn't really care, then tells us to start walking to the area on the other side of the venue to get our real number. So I walk down and get in line. Dave asked one of the "GA Nazi's" to start assigning numbers which were written on your hand with magic marker, this is what U2 honors and when you get that number your spot in line is held, you're welcome to go to your car and get a chair, cooler, blow up mattress, food or basically anything you want while you wait,  but you have to return everything  to your car at about 4:30 and shortly after they start handing out wrist bands, you can also leave to eat or whatever you like. Most people do leave but not very long out of respect to others waiting/suffering in line, that's part of the whole process. Anyway back to the "GA Nazi" she starts handing out numbers to everyone and tries to skip my wife and I so I turn to Dave and say "hey man goofy is trying to skip me" he said "GIVE HIM A NUMBER" she did and walked on pi**ed off, My number? 33 so the moral of the story is don't let these selfish a**holes push you around. Sad but true that there are U2 fans like this, which is not in the spirt or the message of U2 so I ask the question, do they even listen to the music ? or are they there because they think it makes them cool? I would say they probably do listen to the music, but they like all of this type of fan don't actually hear "it" I'll also say that 85% of us GA people are some of the best people you'll ever find and would do anything for you.

See you all at the shows this summer  :)

Great story thanks for sharing.  Curious to know what you would have done had you not known Dave from the U2 crew.  Same thing?  I am in GA for LA1 and I expect to get to the forum around 4pm, so I neither expect nor desire to fight about a place in line.

I can arrange to meet you and write #2 on your hand.

😎

Offline busy5mom

• Stateless
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2014, 09:57:21 PM »
The last time I chimed in on this "numbering" system, I got called a "sheeples" (people+sheep, I guess) for saying I liked it. Please don't do that again. So a little tentatively, here goes:

Coming down from the nosebleed seats for the first time to do GA on 360, I discovered the numbering system actually serves several purposes. When I arrived early, I received a number and a spot in line. It was that simple. I knew no one, but felt welcomed and had low numbers several times. In fact, during my first GA experience, I was able to get right in front of Bono. Multiple times, I was able to get a number and grab a spot on the rail. Again, I am not a part of this "in-crowd."

More importantly, however, I observed that the numbering system allows some humane conditions in line such as going to the bathroom, grabbing a bite to eat, putting stuff away etc. In Moncton, we even told a group to leave so they could take someone to the ER and come back. In Montreal, as the hour approached to enter the venue, we had many, many people trying to weave their way in, and the best way to identify them was with the numbers or lack thereof. At one venue, (Moncton?) we had a false start with the entry through security. It was going to be mayhem with people running ... stampeding. So, we all had to line up again, two-by-two, for safety. That would have been abysmal without the numbering system. At another venue, (Montreal?), we linked arms in rows of 10 using our numbers. Why? Again, for safety to ensure no one runs.

I don't know who organizes the line. In fact, I think at one venue they were completely new people, but then No. 1 fainted once we were in the stadium. I was right next to her on the rail even though I knew no one around me.The numbering system worked well enough for me and seems to provide some order for convenience and safety. I also met plenty of other first-time GA fans who also had low numbers and had no problems grabbing prime spots once the gates opened. I am sure there may be some shenanagins with a few followers, but I think the pros outweigh the cons. I doubt security would even care to take it over. From what I saw, at most venues, they had never seen a U2 concert and didn't know what had hit them.

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2014, 10:54:45 PM »
The last time I chimed in on this "numbering" system, I got called a "sheeples" (people+sheep, I guess) for saying I liked it. Please don't do that again. So a little tentatively, here goes:

Coming down from the nosebleed seats for the first time to do GA on 360, I discovered the numbering system actually serves several purposes. When I arrived early, I received a number and a spot in line. It was that simple. I knew no one, but felt welcomed and had low numbers several times. In fact, during my first GA experience, I was able to get right in front of Bono. Multiple times, I was able to get a number and grab a spot on the rail. Again, I am not a part of this "in-crowd."

More importantly, however, I observed that the numbering system allows some humane conditions in line such as going to the bathroom, grabbing a bite to eat, putting stuff away etc. In Moncton, we even told a group to leave so they could take someone to the ER and come back. In Montreal, as the hour approached to enter the venue, we had many, many people trying to weave their way in, and the best way to identify them was with the numbers or lack thereof. At one venue, (Moncton?) we had a false start with the entry through security. It was going to be mayhem with people running ... stampeding. So, we all had to line up again, two-by-two, for safety. That would have been abysmal without the numbering system. At another venue, (Montreal?), we linked arms in rows of 10 using our numbers. Why? Again, for safety to ensure no one runs.

I don't know who organizes the line. In fact, I think at one venue they were completely new people, but then No. 1 fainted once we were in the stadium. I was right next to her on the rail even though I knew no one around me.The numbering system worked well enough for me and seems to provide some order for convenience and safety. I also met plenty of other first-time GA fans who also had low numbers and had no problems grabbing prime spots once the gates opened. I am sure there may be some shenanagins with a few followers, but I think the pros outweigh the cons. I doubt security would even care to take it over. From what I saw, at most venues, they had never seen a U2 concert and didn't know what had hit them.

I don't think anyone's saying that a numbering system is bad. It's just that *this* numbering system is bad. The biggest issue I have is that there is a "virtual" line that is kept by people online. Surprise, surprise, the people who organize that line do so for the benefit of themselves. Their system doesn't honor those who were first to the venue. And it can only be joined by those who've even heard of it. If you're behind this first group than the numbering system appears to work. It's just that you don't see how you're being cut by people that were in the virtual line not the actual line. It's corrupt and the band has nothing to do with. I really wish U2 would deal with this issue so that we no longer had this conflict.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 01:55:23 PM by Manos73 »

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2014, 11:58:38 AM »
I would guess all bands have them, self appointed superfans who have a sense of entitlement.

I'm sure there are some people like that for most every band out there. But in all honesty, the only time I ever run into this drama regarding the GA line is with U2. No one else is even close, haha.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2014, 02:47:38 PM »
If you don't like U2's GA policy, talk to a Springsteen fan. Just saying. The one time I lined up for U2, I thought the fans who had seen multiple shows did a fantastic job of policing the line, and the security did a great job of listening to what we needed. Saw many would-be line rushers get politely sent to the back.

Offline mofomat

• Refugee
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2014, 04:56:42 PM »
Saw many would-be line rushers get politely sent to the back.

But that doesn't require a fan-organised numbering system. Anybody in the queue can police the line and stop people pushing in. I've been involved in many stadium GA lines in Europe that doesn't have a numbering system and it worked perfectly fine.

And a numbering system doesn't stop people taking advantage. We've had plenty of tales on this thread of people manipulating the system and helping to get all their group to the front of the line by putting them on the list and then disappearing for the rest of the day. That is NOT queuing!!

Offline Melon

• Wanderer
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2014, 08:20:01 PM »
I would guess all bands have them, self appointed superfans who have a sense of entitlement.

I'm sure there are some people like that for most every band out there. But in all honesty, the only time I ever run into this drama regarding the GA line is with U2. No one else is even close, haha.

So true that, U2 is the only band I've done GA for where the line situation is absolutely nuts.  I have also done GA lineups for Radiohead and Arcade Fire - Radiohead fans will sometimes do the numbering thing too but none of this remote signing up or getting a number and leaving overnight, and most people line up at reasonable times.  Arcade Fire GA was totally mellow this tour, just show up and wait.  And for both I have shown up anywhere from 3:30 - 5pm and not been far back at all and once inside I have gotten rail every time!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 08:24:43 PM by Melon »

Offline mofo_spacejunk

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2014, 02:53:20 AM »
I purchased 2 RedZone tickets for the opening show in Vancouver.  When tickets go on sale tomorrow, I will be getting 2 GA tickets to go with another friend.  He offered to camp out in line all night and all day, and I would join him in line shortly before they open the doors.
First off, since they are playing in a smaller arena, is it necessary to camp out to get a good spot by the stage? 
Will people get annoyed when I "cut in" line with my friend?

I'd tell you to f*** off it I saw you or your friend do this. No offense  ;D

Offline mofo_spacejunk

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2014, 02:57:55 AM »
I really liked how they did general admission the last time I saw U2 at Etihad in Melbourne [Vertigo tour].

We were put in pens [like livestock]. Each pen had approx 30-50 people. And a security guard monitored 2-3 pens. We got some form of identification [can't remember what it was?? A stamp that looked like the back video screen??].

You could leave your pen to go to the toilet / get some food or water etc., but you had to be back within a set period of time, else you lost your spot.

When it came to open the gates, they let each pen in - one at a time. Anyone who ran to the stage would be grabbed by security and stopped getting a good spot.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2014, 10:41:27 PM »
I really liked how they did general admission the last time I saw U2 at Etihad in Melbourne [Vertigo tour].

We were put in pens [like livestock]. Each pen had approx 30-50 people. And a security guard monitored 2-3 pens. We got some form of identification [can't remember what it was?? A stamp that looked like the back video screen??].

You could leave your pen to go to the toilet / get some food or water etc., but you had to be back within a set period of time, else you lost your spot.

When it came to open the gates, they let each pen in - one at a time. Anyone who ran to the stage would be grabbed by security and stopped getting a good spot.

Did they juice you with hormones and zap you when you got a bit rambunctious??? 

;D  ;D  ;D

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2014, 04:11:32 AM »
I was a part of that setup. I've turned out alright.

I think.

These ticks are normal, right?

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2014, 04:22:49 AM »
I'd tell you to f*** off it I saw you or your friend do this. No offense  ;D

I'll go ahead and add my two cents to the original poster's question here too... when it comes to people cutting in line in front of me to be with their friend/family member/etc., I generally don't have a problem as long as it's just 1 (and maybe 2 depending on where I'm at in the line/venue size) and the person let's me or the people around him know ahead of time. But these are mostly at shows where people don't start lining up until 10 a.m. or later, or when our lines aren't too big as it is. Plus, there's always the fact that the entry can be pretty unpredictable in terms of efficiency or who's ticket scanner isn't working or who runs/walks to the stage, so it's not a guarantee that they'll end up having a better spot than me anyway.

But considering the past lineups that have happened with this band and the drama that's come out of it (along with the fact that most of the band's venues don't allow camping out the night before), I'm not sure if you'd get your chance anyway. Odds are that most of the venues will number people and that they'll be pretty set in their spots by then. That being said, I can remember a guy from the first Chicago show in 2009 sneaking his wife into the GA area less than two hours before the gates opened and no one had a problem with it, so stranger things have happened.

Offline achtungx

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2014, 06:22:49 AM »
I've had GA floor for 1 Elevation show, 1 Vertigo show, and 3 360 shows.

For Elevation - Philadelphia, my buddy was late picking me up at the bus terminal. We missed the opening band, but still ended up dead center, probably 30 people back from the ramp.

For Vertigo - Pittsburgh,  we went to get a number, went back to the car and had a few Guinness to pass the time. We returned at the time we were told to, and the line was a shambles. Nobody would let us into our spot, so we decided to just meld into the line. We ended up dead center, about 15 people back from the ramp.

For 360 - Giants Stadium NYC, we got there about an hour before doors opened. No number. Ended up 1 person back from the ramp on Adam's side.

For 360 - Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, we got there about an hour before the doors opened. No number. Ended up in the inner circle, both times, on Edge's side.

The queue is overrated. It's only there for the GA nazis to ensure that they get dead center at multiple shows... as if Bono wants to see their faces every damn night.

Offline Melon

• Wanderer
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2014, 05:03:16 PM »
I've had GA floor for 1 Elevation show, 1 Vertigo show, and 3 360 shows.

For Elevation - Philadelphia, my buddy was late picking me up at the bus terminal. We missed the opening band, but still ended up dead center, probably 30 people back from the ramp.

For Vertigo - Pittsburgh,  we went to get a number, went back to the car and had a few Guinness to pass the time. We returned at the time we were told to, and the line was a shambles. Nobody would let us into our spot, so we decided to just meld into the line. We ended up dead center, about 15 people back from the ramp.

For 360 - Giants Stadium NYC, we got there about an hour before doors opened. No number. Ended up 1 person back from the ramp on Adam's side.

For 360 - Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, we got there about an hour before the doors opened. No number. Ended up in the inner circle, both times, on Edge's side.

The queue is overrated. It's only there for the GA nazis to ensure that they get dead center at multiple shows... as if Bono wants to see their faces every damn night.

And if the floor charts out there are accurate (as well as my tix at both ends, one stating rear stage), there won't actually BE a dead center this time for anyone because the long ramp connecting the two stages is the dead center. ;)

Offline weinerdog

• Stateless
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2014, 05:52:31 PM »
And if the floor charts out there are accurate (as well as my tix at both ends, one stating rear stage), there won't actually BE a dead center this time for anyone because the long ramp connecting the two stages is the dead center. ;)

Exactly. If you figure that the catwalk is 10 feet wide, and maybe 4-5 feet on each side for a barrier running the length of the floor, nobody in GA will be more than 20 feet from either the stage and/or catwalk. As amazing as GA was for Vertigo, there should be even more intimacy with this setup.