Author Topic: Are u2 beginning to suck live?  (Read 9994 times)

joegtheog

Re: Are u2 beginning to suck live?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 08:02:33 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Are u2 beginning to suck live?

No.

how do you know that?

*Sigh* Because they are still trying work out how to play the new songs live -_-
Good example is the PopMart Tour -_-

oh

Oh. Yeah.  Breathe was a great performance of a great song, even better when you consider its their first performance of it.  That's how I know that.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 08:26:44 AM »
Although sometimes they can get the song right on the first go if the song isn't so complicated - e.g. Get On Your Boots. Sometimes too many layers = bad sound live.

Offline shkee23

• Wanderer
  • That's where Adam is...Lost in Space
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 09:09:55 AM »
Might i direct you to their first or second show on the Joshua Tree Tour. Bono's voice was simply awful. Bad was butchered.

They're still the best live band in the world. Of course there's going to be problems the first few times they play new songs. Give them a break.

Offline erliga

• Stateless
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 10:10:01 AM »
I agree. Remember this?
BUT, his voice is still great.

Bono has been messing up fo ryears, that's why he uses a teleprompter now.

They take a while to get into a groove, I've been to "opening night" shows, brutal. It's as if they haven't rehearsed at all.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 10:12:52 AM by erliga »

Offline Malachi

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Is in cyberspace
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 11:48:10 AM »
Remember there just getting back into things. Look at breathe, It was brilliant.

Get on your boots is getting better. But I think it's to complicated live. The edge needs to just play that guitar for Boots and leave the singing to Larry.

Mal

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 12:04:33 PM »
Heck no.  This has been no different than any other ramping up to an album they've had.  Heck, when they played Fire live on Irish tv to promote October, sales of the single actually went down.  As for the Obama inaguration, that was one of the most energetic renditions of Pride I've heard from them in years.  It's become quite a plodding song over the past decade or so but that rendition had some energy again. 
And as for Breathe, I thought it was awesome.  Much better than the album version.  Get On Your Boots had me a bit nervous but Breathe totally calmed my worries.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 12:15:59 PM »
After seeing that clip from French television I would have say NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Got U2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • High People ! !
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 12:35:24 PM »
Look, I love u2. It's just, they seem a little shaky live. The Obama thing, the Grammy's, the Brits, the French thing where he says 2 instead of 3 and then messes up the words to breathe.

None of this stuff means anything, These things are NOT the tour !

Bono's voice is different , but the same, No Problem ( this happens to all singers with  l o n g  careers )

But I want a HUGE Production , Like ZOO or POP tours :o
color video ( not b/w ) & some Lasers would be cool :o

And STOP the "Preaching" during the Rock Concert ! ( Hello ! it's a Rock Concert not a Church )

Offline BeneathTheNoise

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 02:06:55 PM »
Look, I love u2. It's just, they seem a little shaky live. The Obama thing, the Grammy's, the Brits, the French thing where he says 2 instead of 3 and then messes up the words to breathe.

Bono's voice is different , but the same, No Problem ( this happens to all singers with  l o n g  careers )

And STOP the "Preaching" during the Rock Concert ! ( Hello ! it's a Rock Concert not a Church )

Wouldn't be U2 without the "preaching".

Offline Nagrom99

• Numb
  • I'm 25, trying to stay alive.....
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 02:19:58 PM »
Look, I love u2. It's just, they seem a little shaky live. The ABM thing, the Grammy's, the Brits, the French thing where he says 2 instead of 3 and then messes up the words to breathe.

Wouldn't be U2 without the "preaching".
Bands of u2's caliber (best live band ever) don't just start to suck.  Boot's doesn't work live - we get that.  But, Breathe was done quite well.  Especially considering it was the first time they played it in front of an audience.  Some of the material may seem a bit tie rd.  I think that's why the band keeps hinting that not only will most of the new songs will be played on tour, but also the set list will change more so than in the past.  Relax.  Whenever I doubt them, as you are doing, they always prove me wrong.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 02:24:06 PM by Nagrom99 »

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2009, 02:22:26 PM »

No.

how do you know that?

*Sigh* Because they are still trying work out how to play the new songs live -_-
Good example is the PopMart Tour -_-

I agree with you but think that if the songs are not that good in studio they're not going to be Emeffing good live... Look at these last two tours...

Offline jampot

• Babyface
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2009, 02:23:36 PM »

U2 are spiritual, men of faith.They won't drop that. Anyway, we all get a bit nervous before a tour on how they will perform because we want to experince the same level mind blowing live sound that we heard since ......... funnily enough U2 on their last tour. I have seen live in the last few months Snow Patrol, Coldplay, Oasis. Those bands are great but dont come close to power of U2. Funnily enough the most intense mind blowing show I saw last year that stood up to U2 was Neil Young and he's 63. So I dont think it comes down to age, it comes down to passion and just how much they boys want it....

andyt

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2009, 02:27:29 PM »

Why is this thread here?

I'm not really keen on the records they make any more but I saw them on the last tour and they were fantastic.

How can you tell if they now 'suck' live when they haven't played a gig for years!?!?

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2009, 02:50:39 PM »

Actually ... Yes! They REALLY suck live at the moment, and that's sure to continue over the next 18 months. So, if I were you, I would definitely not try to buy any concert tickets, because they really do suck as a live band now. And will continue to suck. For sure.

Mysterious Ways

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2009, 02:56:22 PM »

Actually ... Yes! They REALLY suck live at the moment, and that's sure to continue over the next 18 months. So, if I were you, I would definitely not try to buy any concert tickets, because they really do suck as a live band now. And will continue to suck. For sure.

Ok. No concert tickets for me, then.