Author Topic: Are u2 beginning to suck live?  (Read 9996 times)

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
Re: Are u2 beginning to suck live?
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2009, 12:41:20 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2's performance of Magnificent in BBC Live Lounge was terrific! Bono's voice there was so beautiful! i love it! :)

Shhhhh. Keep that kind of stuff to yourself, j2736. We're trying to make it easier to get tickets. Shhhhhh. ;)

In that case: THEY SUCKED IN LONDON. EVEN THOUGH I WAS CLOSE THE SOUND WAS ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE  :P

Offline evel12314

• Elevated
  • Squeeze out sparks of light.
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2009, 12:49:05 PM »
You couldn't even hear them in Philadelphia. ::)
What an awful city. See them somewhere else. :P

Offline Mystways

• Elevated
  • wild Irish rose
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2009, 01:12:40 PM »
To be honest, I was a bit concerned after hearing/watching the Grammys and Brits (Obama didn't countóit was just way too cold). Bono's voice seemed unsure at times, the music level compared to the vocals was a little messy, and the whole band seemed a bit... unpolished. But any doubts I had are now gone, after hearing/seeing the BBC Radio 2 performance. They're back. :)

BTW, don't believe anything I just said. Especially through the upcoming tour. ;>

Offline dezmaas

• Stateless
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2009, 02:02:13 PM »
Look, I love u2. It's just, they seem a little shaky live. The Obama thing, the Grammy's the Brits, the French thing where he says 2 instead of 3 and then messes up the words to breathe.

Actually he says "few". He also said this at the BBC.

Offline erliga

• Stateless
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2009, 02:44:35 PM »
U2 LIVE AT THE BBC: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
VS
U2 LIVE AT THE BBC: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Opinions? Being higher up doesn't make you a better band.

Offline Malachi

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Is in cyberspace
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2009, 04:16:53 PM »
U2's performance of Magnificent in BBC Live Lounge was terrific! Bono's voice there was so beautiful! i love it! :)

Shhhhh. Keep that kind of stuff to yourself, j2736. We're trying to make it easier to get tickets. Shhhhhh. ;)

In that case: THEY SUCKED IN LONDON. EVEN THOUGH I WAS CLOSE THE SOUND WAS ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE  :P

Yes I agree! I don't know why I bothered It was terrible. ;D ;D

Ok I can't hold it in they were awsome lol. :D

Mal

joegtheog

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2009, 04:18:54 PM »
I really think that anyone who thinks they are losing it live stay far away from Southern California.

Offline achtungespresso

• Running to Stand Still
  • I found grace, it's all that I found
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2009, 04:26:06 PM »
The Grammy performance wasn't the best. But that aside, I think it will be better on tour. They'll be doing a concert every night---they'll be used to it and get back into "touring mode." Keep in mind that they haven't toured for about 2-3 years...

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2009, 05:35:09 PM »
what they're doing at the moment is the equivalent of football teams playing some friendlies before a season kicks off, if they're gonna sound crap & make mistakes etc then now is the time to do so.

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2009, 05:37:04 PM »
Everyone who has this worry, even slightly, please refrain from purchasing tickets to the tour so we can get better seats...  ;D ;D ;D

joegtheog

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2009, 05:38:41 PM »
Everyone who has this worry, even slightly, please refrain from purchasing tickets to the tour so we can get better seats...  ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, they should start a Boycott U2 Live thread, haha

Offline Nao

• Babyface
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2009, 06:48:48 PM »
This is a little rant I wrote on another thread recently. I've added to it a bit and I feel it's equally relevant here also.

Bono = the greatest singer alive today... discuss:
Not anymore I would suggest.

Having watched most of the numerous U2 live performances in the last 2 months, I have been coming to a
worrying conclusion, Bono's voice is shot. This is something that I began to notice during the last tour but which
has sadly been confirmed to me in the last few weeks.

Singing live these days itís obvious that Bono is finding it very difficult to hit the right notes and because of
this his vocal performances are sounding increasingly strained.  A noticeable example of this would be the
performance of Pride (In The Name of Love) at the US presidential inauguration.

I would in fact go so far as to challenge anybody here to point out a U2 performance in the last 4 or 5 weeks
in which Bono doesnít sing at least one bum note. In the past, apart from a period during the Pop era when
he was having serious issues with his voice, it was unheard of for the lead singer to miss a note. Thinking
about it more deeply, the last time I remember Bonoís voice being really good was during the Elevation Tour,
about 8 years ago.

Before I get lambasted by people pointing me in the direction of Bonoís opera style singing in songs like
Sometimes You Canít Make It On Your Own and Miss Sarajevo, obviously these performances were
very impressive and yes itís clear Bono has developed a great tenors voice, but, I ask you, how many U2
songs feature tenor style singing? There are 3 as far as I know.*

It's also important to point out that it's to Bono's live vocals that I am refering here. Sure his voice sounds
prestine on the new album but you have to remember that in the studio songs can be recorded as many times
as neccesary, in ideal conditions. More significantly though, these days using audio software its easy to remove
any raggedness from the original recorded vocal. 

The disappointing thing about all of this is that, Bono was possibly the greatest popular music** singer alive
in the eighties and into the nineties. Going back to what a few other people have said here already, the
The Joshua Tree/Rattle and Hum era was perhaps his vocal peak. My assertion however, is that his voice has
been deteriorating ever since and that now finally, the mighty voice, that was once the epitome of U2, may well
have sung its final encore.

The 3 U2 songs featuring tenor style singing are Miss Sarajevo, Sometimes You Canít Make It On Your
Own
and The Hands That Built America, which to the best of my knowledge has never been performed
in full live. I may be wrong about some of these facts

As there is a myriad of types of music itís important to be specific here.

Offline highway190

• Refugee
  • Not telling you where the J Tree is.
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2009, 07:05:23 PM »
Nothing wrong with the band.
Just some of the idiots I saw at the Vertigo shows who only came to text their friends from the show to seem cool. I remember during Miss Sarajevo, The First Time and The Electric Co, seeing a mass exodus of people literally and figuratively. Figuratively texting and talking on their phones telling their friends "I'M AT U2 ADJUST MY SOCIAL STATUS ACCORDINGLY!"

I hope they stay away this time lol

Offline j2736 (i'm not a boy ! )

• Desert Rose
  • watch more television
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2009, 11:06:26 PM »

if saying negative about U2's performance will make them play in my area, THEN!!!!!!!

U2 SUCKS!!!!!!

now...i want them to play here in my country!

*** luv u Bono! *** ;D

;D ;D :D

Offline melbourne85

• Babyface
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2009, 02:01:33 AM »
Given that they recorded Moment of Surrender in one take.. well, say no more.