Author Topic: Elevation vs. Vertigo Tour  (Read 2528 times)

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
Elevation vs. Vertigo Tour
« on: December 19, 2014, 09:03:19 AM »
This is an odd thread, but thought I'd give it a go.  I missed out on the Elevation tour, one of the biggest regrets of my concert going span.  I wasn't very much a hardcore fan until that album/ tour for very personal reasons.  And from everything I've heard from other fans and seen on the DVD's, it seemed incredible and there was a certain spark.  It wasn't until the Vertigo tour I saw them live.  It was great, but something seemed off.  To be fair, I wasn't a very big fan of that album.  But there was something in the chemistry that seemed lacking.  Though the back to basics format/concept was very similar to Elevation, the presentation felt contrived and the magic seemed to be missing.  I'm curious to know how others feel that had seen both of those tours: was/is there a difference, or am I just crazy?

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
Re: Elevation vs. Vertigo Tour
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 11:12:30 AM »
I saw both tours multiple times. Elevation was better. The setlist had a better flow and the songs were played better. Just compare how great Bullet the Blue Sky was on the Boston DVD compared to the Vertigo Chicago DVD. Bono didn't have a 20 minute speech either. I think the Elevation tour was the last we saw of U2 in "full flight" as a live band. Bono's voice, although not as strong as in his prime, was a lot better then the thin voice he had as the 00's progressed.

Offline rcamu2

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 11:50:35 AM »
While not on a par with anything which preceded it, Elevation was miles better than Vertigo or 360.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 12:11:02 PM »
The best show I ever saw U2 play (and the best show I've ever seen anyone do, period) was on the Vertigo tour. They peaked as performers on that tour.

hrsan

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 12:26:43 PM »
I saw both and Elevation had better energy, while Vertigo had the better setlist.

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 01:45:07 PM »
Perhaps I'm not crazy after all.  I would give anything to ride a time machine and catch one of the NYC shows on the 2nd American tour, post 9/11 and any of the ZOO TV dates.  But if everything is true about this being a more intimate experience, it seems this could match Elevation's qualities.  I liked Vertigo's energy, but disliked the passive/aggressive Orwellian political messages.  I was hoping for them to really take a more public stance on the Iraq war, but that would've cost them dearly (i.e. Dixie Chicks).  360 was great, but the claw was annoying and the design was far too indulgent and under-used.  Still, a great show and a great set list (esp. the 2nd North American outing). 

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 01:46:51 PM »
ATYCLB was way better than HTDAAB, IMO. As for the tours, Vertigo felt like a warmed-over Elevation. Same concept, lesser new songs and stage/visual concepts.

The setlists were more varied on Vertigo, but I would rather here New York than Love And Peace Or Else every time, all the time.

Edgedisciple

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 04:16:11 PM »
The Elevation Tour is the tour that I wish I could have attended the most. Maybe more than Zoo TV.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 07:07:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Elevation Tour is the tour that I wish I could have attended the most. Maybe more than Zoo TV.

As someone who saw both in person, the arena Zoo TV show I saw blew away Elevation. Best concert i've ever been to.

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 09:58:46 PM »
I saw about 12 Elevation shows and 14 Vertigo shows. Elevation had even more energy and emotion, especially after 9/11, but better setlists on Vertigo. Plus the greatest U2 show I've ever been to was Vertigo Washington D.C. 10/20/2005, right in the front of the inner circle between Bono and Edge, and the show closed with an epic "Bad". Unreal.

Offline EvryPoetisAthief

• Stateless
  • Throw a rock in the air, you'll hit someone guilty
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 10:31:09 PM »
The Elevation tour by far. Seeing U2 in Madison Square Garden right after 9/11 was surreal. I was at the 10/24/01 and 10/27/01 shows. I had GA's from the Propaganda days. The band was so emotional playing in the city of the worst terrorist attack on US soil. Anyone who was at these shows knows how special these shows were. Aside from the emotional aspect of these shows I loved how the stage was much lower than that of the 360 shows. I felt the band was playing in my living room. 360 was a great show but as a stadium tour, the intimacy was lost.

Edgedisciple

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 04:59:34 AM »

As someone who saw both in person, the arena Zoo TV show I saw blew away Elevation. Best concert i've ever been to.
I believe you, Zoo TV was unique and unimitable. But the atmosphere of the Elevation Tour, I don't know, it gets me more. One of the reasons, obviously, is that ATYCLB is my favourite record.

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 02:48:30 PM »
I think the thing that bugged me the most about the 360 tour was the design itself.   It verged on that dreaded "space rock" sh**e from 70's prog rock schtick in the vein of Styx or Rush.  "Unkown Caller", a beautiful song on record", is what could be deemed as their "Mr. Roboto" moment.  I am hopng this tour bears semblance to Elevation given the personal content on the album as ATYCLB had.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 03:06:48 PM »
What's this 'elevation' tour of which you speak?

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 09:28:33 PM »

Absolutely agree with this. Zoo TV indoors will never be bettered. The most mind blowingly awesome experience of my life. As for my answer to the question, Elevation blew Vertigo out of the water.