Author Topic: Song of Experience to be Released Early 2015  (Read 14424 times)

Offline PowerSurge

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Hello Hello
Re: Song of Experience to be Released Early 2015
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2014, 08:56:59 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Bands don't have the luxury to slowly spit out 4-5 singles over the course of a year or so to promote album sales....its one and done these days.

OneRepublic seems to be pretty good at it. Maybe Ryan Tedder can share with U2 the secret of making it happen, ha ha.

I guess I should have been more specific...ROCK bands don't have the luxury of doing that ;)  I honestly don't consider OneRepublic to be a rock band, but yes, they do it well indeed.

Offline mc

• Stateless
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2014, 10:15:15 AM »
SOE.....released xmas day?? That would be cool

Offline dontwantwhatideserve

• Stateless
  • moaning periodically...
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2014, 10:15:42 AM »
The tour may not be the same from beginning to end (think Zoo TV/Zooropa). Could be Innocense, bkth regular a d acoustic ...with that mixed approach to the back catalog. The u doubtlessly have a lot of. Ew unreleased material that im expecting to edgier and more experimental. Tgat can be teased and tested...also allows them to gauge the responses. The album may take longer, but we may become familiar with the songs. Then, SOA is released for the extension of the tour and namechange..all speculation. I definitely don't expect Bono to bullfight with Edge or climb the scaffolding.

Offline mhr1983

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2014, 10:37:51 AM »
I would love it if I woke up and found SOE in my iTunes!

Offline MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2014, 10:49:38 AM »
Christmas wouldn't even make me ready lol as much as I'd love to hear it

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2014, 12:36:02 PM »
I don't believe in another U2 new album release before the tour - unless it's the already released album expanded with a bonus disc and sold as a 2 CD set at the price of a 2CD set, like "Fame Monster" and "Nothing But the Beat 2.0" by you know who or maybe not.

The biggest reason for the delay may be Bono's unfortunate bicycle accident. Here's hoping he is doing a lot better by now.

Offline danlougee

• Stateless
  • Midnight is where the day begins
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2014, 04:40:53 PM »
I hope U2 will release the next two records SOE,and SOA rapidly in spite of the general populace' s lack of interest and the media's unwarranted disdain for the band and their music.
Unfortunately without a shadow of a doubt I see all this as the final trilogy of my all time favorite band but I believe they will go out with a bang and not a whimper.

I think Bono said a couple of months ago that he would like to keep U2 going into their seventies.  I don't see them calling it quits anytime soon.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2014, 06:36:45 PM »
I very much doubt we are getting it before winter 2015-16. I'm not sure there's a single instance in recent U2 history that the band have brought out an album much sooner than their early estimates; Hell, they usually miss them entirely.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2014, 11:30:21 PM »
I very much doubt we are getting it before winter 2015-16. I'm not sure there's a single instance in recent U2 history that the band have brought out an album much sooner than their early estimates; Hell, they usually miss them entirely.

I thought exactly the same thing when Bono started speaking of Songs of Experience just days after releasing Songs of Innocence. I thought, "really Bono, can't you just let us get used to this album before promising us another one?!"

It is exceedingly frustrating to be given so many promises about new albums and to have them consistently, well "broken".

But, the announcement of the Innocence and Experience tour, seems to be a very concrete thing to do. I think in many ways it means Songs of Experience has to come out before the tour, especially since Bono wants to have a conversation between Innocence and Experience on the tour.
At the very least Songs of Experience has to come out at some point during the tour, otherwise the name is absolutely pointless and would even be a marketing disaster.

Maybe, they have finally given themselves a deadline that they can not delay.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2014, 06:57:09 AM »
I agree they've definitely upped the ante, but I think that hearing a few of the songs during the 2015 leg / releasing the album in winter 2015/16 before returning to stadiums makes more sense for lots of reasons, including;

1) They are clearly very proud of this album and want to give it some live spotlight; if SOE were released first, it *would* short-change SoI live without a doubt, no matter how the rotating nights work. Similarly they'll want to spotlight SOE when it comes out
2) From what's been said, SOE is more of a big 'outdoors' album anyway so it again makes sense to release it for the stadium shows
3) The back half of a long tour is now where they tend to run out of steam on the new material so it would make sense to have a second album to launch
4) Commercially it makes more sense to wait so people aren't thinking "But they JUST released one"
5) Above all, and it can't be stressed enough, it is totally out of keeping with U2 to say the album will be out in eighteen months and then release it much earlier; there is no precedent for anything close. They have never given us any reason to believe that they could do it.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2014, 10:10:55 AM »
I still don't understand why they called it the Innocence + Experience tour if they don't intend to have SOE out in the next 6 months. I don't think they'll have a "Innocence" night and "Experience" night. They didn't market it as such. They just had pairs of shows in each city. I think they'll have both albums being played/marketed and as a result less of the older music will be played. The difference in the shows will probably be the different old songs being played on each night rather than the new. I also think that there won't be an acoustic night and an electric night. Again they never marketed the shows as such.

I suppose we'll find out once the tour starts :)

Offline markt

• Refugee
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2014, 01:48:18 PM »
I don't think they'll have a "Innocence" night and "Experience" night. They didn't market it as such. They just had pairs of shows in each city.

I think it is this quote from Bono in the official announcement on U2.com which led people to the conclusion that there will be an innocence night and experience night.

"We are going to try to have a completely different feeling from night one to night two,” said Bono, “and have some fun playing with the idea of innocence and experience. More to be revealed!”

It's not 100% clear what exactly they do mean but you can see why many people are assuming that the difference between night 1 and 2 is innocence or experience.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2014, 03:06:05 PM »
I don't think they'll have a "Innocence" night and "Experience" night. They didn't market it as such. They just had pairs of shows in each city.

I think it is this quote from Bono in the official announcement on U2.com which led people to the conclusion that there will be an innocence night and experience night.

"We are going to try to have a completely different feeling from night one to night two,” said Bono, “and have some fun playing with the idea of innocence and experience. More to be revealed!”

It's not 100% clear what exactly they do mean but you can see why many people are assuming that the difference between night 1 and 2 is innocence or experience.

That would mean that they'd have both albums out then.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2014, 06:20:19 AM »
I think that's very much an assumption people are leaping to rather than the obvious conclusion, especially since they've flat out said it won't be out until later. Is it really likely that something happened between September and December to make them move *up* the album release, given it's basically certain they got no progress on it during that time what with the SoI release and later promo stuff?

Offline mc

• Stateless
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2014, 08:14:43 AM »
I am hoping SOE is released before the tour....BUT....the Experience part could just be referring to the classic back catalogue. ie SOI mixed in with a few experienced sounding classics