Author Topic: Song of Experience to be Released Early 2015  (Read 14383 times)

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
Re: Song of Experience to be Released Early 2015
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2014, 12:55:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 is full of surprises as they have proven with the release of SOI. Anything is possible.

Yes indeed. Don't count anything out. (but I have a feelling this one won't make its way to ALL itunes account automaticaly)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2014, 06:07:26 PM »
U2 have talked about releasing a live album of original songs a few times, so whats to say SOE won't be a live album recorded on the arena leg? the songs are 70% complete.

Long shot, but who knows?

Wouldn't be the worst thing, unlikely I reckon but certainly not the worst...

I know they are getting on a bit now so it would be a big ask, but I would like it if they worked on SOE whilst on tour and maybe let the live performances bleed into the arrangements, two of the best albums of the 90's for me namely Zooropa and REM's New Adventures in hifi were records recorded whilst on tour and influenced by touring and in a good way.

Whether they could do it now is debatable but I would be interested in hearing what they might do, I genuinely believe bands are more potent whilst touring, closer to their craft and the essence of being a band and importantly for u2 less time to overthink and overpolish
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 06:12:14 PM by an tha »

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2014, 12:33:44 AM »
U2 have talked about releasing a live album of original songs a few times, so whats to say SOE won't be a live album recorded on the arena leg? the songs are 70% complete.

Long shot, but who knows?
I genuinely believe bands are more potent whilst touring, closer to their craft and the essence of being a band and importantly for u2 less time to overthink and overpolish

+1

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2014, 02:21:45 PM »
My guesses:

1. SoE is actually already complete or at least recorded (perhaps mixing and editing is left)
2. They'll play a handful of SoE songs perhaps corresponding to potential singles that will be dropped here and there throughout the first leg(s) of the tour.
3. With the tour and new songs being played, the anticipation of SoE will be large and they'll release it next fall.

They don't need to release the album to play from it.  They don't even need to be totally done with it.  But, I am guessing that as far as song structure goes, they finished before Bono ever dropped a hint of it.

I also think that people might be thinking too far ahead for a SoA release.  I doubt that will ever happen unless it gets released as a B-Sides type compilation in the future.  If they had liked what they had for SoA, they probably would have released it back when they said they might.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2014, 02:26:40 PM »
I'll just copy and paste what I said back here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

First night = plugged-in hits and fan favorites from the 80's, with a large acoustic set consisting of 5-6 songs from Songs of Innocence.
Second night = plugged-in hits and fan favorites from the 90's and 21st century, with a large acoustic set consisting of 5-6 songs from Songs of Experience. 

Since U2 has ignored entire albums from the late 90's and 00's (I'm looking at you, Pop), this would even out the hits and fan favorites for each night.   It's clear now that Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience are a sort of double-album. 

I'm going on record as saying Songs of Experience will be be released on itunes out-of-the-blue one day next spring (but you've gotta pay for it, kids).   A few weeks later, it will also come as a deluxe version with a strong acoustic bent.  And the cover will be Larry looking at the camera, with his son embracing him.

Offline Flying_Leg_Kick

• Stateless
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2014, 03:39:26 PM »
It's at that point where I'm indifferent and don't care when it comes out, as long as it comes out.  SoA, or whatever the follow-up to NLOTH was (SoA and the dance album?), what...2011?  2012?  13?  At this point, for me at least, it'll be a surprise for the wrong sort of reasons.

I know that it coming out before the tour, or so soon into it, would go a long way in the band seeing this customer/fan showing back up into an arena for them.  As is, without the album, it seems like a bit of a tease.  Like, we know there's a SoE thanks to Bono's Apple gaffe, but let's contort it to mean something else...we've got enough diehards who won't give a flip either way.

What I hope doesn't happen is that if the album isn't done by the tour's start, that they don't track shop at shows if they do reveal some new material.  Like, whatever songs get the bigger pops, those show up on the album.  If they go over like a fart in church, album gets the nebulous treatment again or something.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2014, 06:09:46 PM »
If they go over like a fart in church, album gets the nebulous treatment again or something.

Mercy 2.0. I swear you could see the "WTF?" thought bubbles above people's heads.

Offline PowerSurge

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Hello Hello
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2014, 08:51:52 AM »
I think with SOE, U2 should put the CD in a milk bottle and literally leave it on our front stoop  ;D

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2014, 03:21:52 PM »
Personally I'm bored of U2's slovenly workrate and the known large number of U2 songs that still haven't come out. One album in six years? Pathetic.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2015, 06:18:51 AM »
Given Bono's new years letter, I think we can safely put this idea to bed.

Offline wik73

• Numb
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2015, 07:00:29 AM »

Why?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2015, 07:43:52 AM »
Health and other reasons but it will be out when its ready

Offline MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2015, 09:07:58 AM »

Why?

That's all we'll pretty much hear from him until the tour, he said.