Author Topic: Letter from Bono on U2.com  (Read 14406 times)

Offline ME2

• Wanderer
Re: Letter from Bono on U2.com
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2015, 10:44:18 PM »
So he's been writing lyrics during rehab.  Good.  He's in a different world now than normal.  I hope we get to hear the results. 

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2015, 12:27:34 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This was a fantastic read. Deeply personal. I think being layed up can put you in a reflective mood. I was shocked he shared the pic of the kids. All the band members have tried to keep the kids faces out of the media but Bono seems to be more open about his kids than the other 3. The boys have grown and matured so much! The kids are all very handsome/beautiful.

Very surprising to see that pic of his striking children and I love the story w/ it. Yes, deeply personal. It makes me more sure that if Bono hadn't had the music to connect with us/the world, he would have found some other way. Very thankful for this letter. It is at once reflective and exhorting and a fine way to start the new year.

Y'know that photo would have been better for the album cover !

Offline Peter Parker

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2015, 01:34:42 AM »
Get well, B-man! Thank God Im going to Stockholm 3 and 4 in late september. Hopefully he has reached full recovery by then!

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2015, 01:39:31 AM »
Great read - been lots of 'what's happening with Bono' stuff kicking about so he's gone a long way to answer that.

surit87

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2015, 04:52:16 AM »
This was a fantastic read. Deeply personal. I think being layed up can put you in a reflective mood. I was shocked he shared the pic of the kids. All the band members have tried to keep the kids faces out of the media but Bono seems to be more open about his kids than the other 3. The boys have grown and matured so much! The kids are all very handsome/beautiful.

I wouldn't be surprised if each of those kids have a touch of megalomania. They are their father's children (one of them is a movie star). ;)

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2015, 05:02:03 AM »
Lots of discussion about how hard rehab has been. Glad, though, that he is cautiously optimistic about being ready for the tour. This part made me laugh:

"Recovery has been more difficult than I thought... As I write this, it is not clear that I will ever play guitar again. The band have reminded me that neither they nor Western civilization are depending on this."

Hilarious he might have limited use of his hand/arm for the rest of his life.

How so ?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 05:06:08 AM by xy »

Offline zeeTV

• Numb
  • But I can change the world in me... REJOICE
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2015, 07:11:43 AM »
Aww B... really wanna give you a big aussie hug right now. Bless your soul & recovery
Great Read Overall... Xray looks like a positive thing in the sense that his humerous is in one piece and healing is occuring.
Love the praise for Kanye... their relationship is suppper cute.
And his little holla for Ali is cutest thing ever. I want their relationship
Loved the photo @ C'wood road... damn Bs girls are absolute stunners.

Ahh B. ♡

Offline The Stingray Guitar

• Refugee
  • You're in my mind all of the time,
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2015, 07:42:18 AM »
When he says that this is his only communication with us for the first half of 2015 can we assume that he's going to be busy finishing Songs Of Experience as well as recovering?

I mean he does have a lot of free time these days  ;)

It would be great if the band sent us letters like this more often. It's always nice to hear directly from them what is going on.

Offline jlemire33

• Babyface
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2015, 08:16:36 AM »
Lots of discussion about how hard rehab has been. Glad, though, that he is cautiously optimistic about being ready for the tour. This part made me laugh:

"Recovery has been more difficult than I thought... As I write this, it is not clear that I will ever play guitar again. The band have reminded me that neither they nor Western civilization are depending on this."

How so ?

The bit about no one missing his guitar playing, not about the injury itself.

Offline Peter Parker

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2015, 08:49:12 AM »
So he's been writing lyrics during rehab.  Good.  He's in a different world now than normal.  I hope we get to hear the results. 

Bono on drugs writing lyrics!! WOW! Expect masterpieces!

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2015, 08:55:20 AM »

How so ?

The bit about no one missing his guitar playing, not about the injury itself.

Which was blindingly obvious, you really shouldn't have to defend yourself or explain....the man made the joke himself

Offline ME2

• Wanderer
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2015, 09:06:17 AM »

Bono on drugs writing lyrics!! WOW! Expect masterpieces!

Or it will be crap and we'll never hear any of it.  I was thinking more about his focus on himself, on healing, introspection.  Accepting some physical limitations, achieving a goal unlike any other before.  He could be experiencing a very different thought process than before.  With or without Percocet. 

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2015, 11:13:07 AM »
Most interesting thing to me were the comments around the upcoming tour... assuming he is healthy of course and Ii am sure he will be.. very excited to see what these guys have in store, they never want to go where others have already gone (many of whom have just copied U2 in the first place).

The stuff about Davos and the poverty campaigns, great to see his passion but for me its all about the music and live shows

As for the j******/low class Kayne, I really don't understand this at all.  Is it the same old PC Bono, or is he trying to remain relevant to a different demographic?  I think U2 have like 3 or 4 black fans, so not sure what the motivation here continues to be.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2015, 12:04:34 PM »
This should have been the album cover : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2015, 12:16:02 PM »
This could read incredibly insensitive, but perhaps this is one of the best things that could happen to him and the band.  This could give SOI live a new weight entirely. The stakes have been increased.  Personally, if I were a spiritual man such as Bono, I would take it as a sign from the Chairman of the Board to check myself.  The whole thing is textbook Greek tragedy verbatim; that old saying: The pride before the fall.   Let's check some harsh realities:

1.  Bono has torpedoed the band's image irreparably because of the deal with Apple.  We've heard ad nauseam he doesn't care about pi**ing off haters.  But given this arguably did more harm than good, it does point to hubris uber.  While I love the album and was not in the least bothered with the download, I don't see how the band could carry on promoting the album with a straight face without coming off as major a##holes.   
2.  Bono has admitted perhaps he has lost touch with reality given he has never had a time to rest and reflect.
3.  It can only humanize Bono for the better.  This is a window for genuine humility, not the convenient "best behavior act" normally espoused (albeit charmingly) at awards shows and public engagements.
4.  All of the above could help write deeper and rawer introspection.
5.  Or it could prove the reverse and only empower his arrogant holier than thou image for the worst. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 12:29:39 PM by achtung child »