Author Topic: Letter from Bono on U2.com  (Read 14407 times)

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
Re: Letter from Bono on U2.com
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2015, 12:31:12 PM »
[quote author=SlyDanner link=topic=25859.msg1505308#msg1505308 date=14202

As for the j******/low class Kayne, I really don't understand this at all.  Is it the same old PC Bono, or is he trying to remain relevant to a different demographic?  I think U2 have like 3 or 4 black fans, so not sure what the motivation here continues to be.
[/quote]

+1 I can't believe they like KANYE' s music

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This should have been the album cover : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
+1

Offline J_Rock321

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Hiiipower
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2015, 03:34:06 PM »
I like this positive out look of the "little book"

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2015, 03:43:35 PM »

Thanks for sharing.

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2015, 04:39:52 PM »

I wasn't expecting to like that, but I did. That final paragraph? All the yesses.

Offline Stateless

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2015, 05:03:10 PM »
On my Facebook, there was a link to NBC's Good Morning America where they covered his A to Z and in particular his accident.  It was a pretty good segment and very positive coming from the media.

Offline Doc_Holiday

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2015, 05:19:42 PM »
My admiration for Bono grew tenfold... Smart old man. I liked the read.

Offline badu2fan

• Babyface
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2015, 05:26:02 PM »
This could read incredibly insensitive, but perhaps this is one of the best things that could happen to him and the band.  This could give SOI live a new weight entirely. The stakes have been increased.  Personally, if I were a spiritual man such as Bono, I would take it as a sign from the Chairman of the Board to check myself.  The whole thing is textbook Greek tragedy verbatim; that old saying: The pride before the fall.   Let's check some harsh realities:

1.  Bono has torpedoed the band's image irreparably because of the deal with Apple.  We've heard ad nauseam he doesn't care about pi**ing off haters.  But given this arguably did more harm than good, it does point to hubris uber.  While I love the album and was not in the least bothered with the download, I don't see how the band could carry on promoting the album with a straight face without coming off as major a##holes.   
2.  Bono has admitted perhaps he has lost touch with reality given he has never had a time to rest and reflect.
3.  It can only humanize Bono for the better.  This is a window for genuine humility, not the convenient "best behavior act" normally espoused (albeit charmingly) at awards shows and public engagements.
4.  All of the above could help write deeper and rawer introspection.
5.  Or it could prove the reverse and only empower his arrogant holier than thou image for the worst.

I know from a few irish folks they will say it is "hard to be humble" but I would hope it brings some to Bono. I am sure this time of reflection will allow Bono to grow from many perspectives!

Ticket sales for the tour are not selling out like I and many thought so I guess this could re invigorate the crowd base if they come back strong with varying set-lists worthy of 4 nights in one city. Maybe his entrance to show should be on a electric Wheel chair playing Out of Control, Wake Up Dead Man and Get on Your Boots!!! With him them running the full length of the new stage sprinting like never before!!!!

Just want a speedy and full recovery!!!!

I do like his humor on his guitar playing as most would prefer he just sing!!! The world will be able to continue with or with out!

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2015, 05:46:05 PM »

I liked it too w/ two exceptions.

1. I disagree w/ the following statement (only that which is bolded) made by the author. But, if one hasn't been paying attention the last decade or so, it's understandable while perhaps not forgivable.  ;)

He is a rare breed, and hes finally done enough living and suffering to be worth a damn. It would be a shame, and just like American culture, to begin to ignore him at the very moment he finally has something to say.

2. It was a bicycle accident, not a motorcycle accident - a reasonable misstatement since the severity of Bono's injuries seem as if they'd be the result of the latter.

I think I shall link this article on my Facebook page.  8)

Offline Mary C

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2015, 07:09:57 PM »
Stateless--

Could you please post a link to the GMA segment? I only do Twitter, not Facebook. I've tried going on GMA's site and can't find a link to it. Thanks!

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2015, 07:21:14 PM »
Stateless--

Could you please post a link to the GMA segment? I only do Twitter, not Facebook. I've tried going on GMA's site and can't find a link to it. Thanks!

Stateless blended GMA w/ NBC. It's not GMA, but it is NBC's The Today Show. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 

I'm told that NBC Nightly News also did an extended segment about this tonight. I'm going to look for it now. Actually, here is what I found on the NBC Nightly site and it's the same as The Today Show's. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Anne Thompson's reporting makes me laugh. Overall, a decent piece.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 07:26:53 PM by mdmomof7 »

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2015, 07:38:22 PM »
It is very saddening to read this.  The picture of his X-ray was horrible.   

I only wish him the very best and you never know.  He may play the guitar again.   Even if he doesn't.  Bono is a fantastic, front man.  I saw U2 on their last tour and it was the best rock concert.  I ever went to.

Be well, Bono.  Good thoughts and prayers from all of us.

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2015, 07:48:20 PM »
Well it wasn't just the elbow that was shattered remember.  The pinky finger on that hand was broken in I think 3 places?  Even if he has no loss of motion in the shoulder or elbow, the pinky could put a bit of a damper on forming chords wouldn't you think?  I know nothing about playing guitar but it seems to me it would be a problem.

You are correct.  It would be.  Some chords require the use of a pinky finger and Bono is a right hand guitarist.  This would effect his playing, since he would use his left hand on the fret board (neck of the guitar). 

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2015, 10:54:41 PM »
I have no doubt that Bono is in a really humble place right now.

I am reminded of a couple of important quotes right now. The first is from a C.S.Lewis story called The Horse and His Boy. In it the girl complains to Aslan when she has an encounter and is disciplined. She complains that Shasta the boy she has been traveling with has his own issues of pride and arrogance. Aslan responds to her "I only tell each person their own story."  I.e "that is between Shasta and me."

The second is when the Jewish Pharisees are trying to get Jesus to call down judgement on people. Jesus responds that they should "take the plank out of their own eye before taking the speck out of someone else's."
It really doesn't matter how big a speck or a plank we have in our own eye, our place is to remove it from our own eye. Or to put it in different words, we will all be held to account for our own actions and attitude.

Bono has his own story before God that God is telling to him. I am sure this injury is part of it, but we can not assume which part. That is the deeply personal part of the story that is none of our business.

I have nothing but immense respect for Bono and his "long obedience in the same direction".

Amazing things will come out of this trial, even though it is a trial that none of us would wish on anybody.

Get well soon Bono, and may you know the peace that passes all understanding.

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2015, 10:56:18 PM »
I have no doubt that Bono is in a really humble place right now.

I am reminded of a couple of important quotes right now. The first is from a C.S.Lewis story called The Horse and His Boy. In it the girl complains to Aslan when she has an encounter and is disciplined. She complains that Shasta the boy she has been traveling with has his own issues of pride and arrogance. Aslan responds to her "I only tell each person their own story."  I.e "that is between Shasta and me."

The second is when the Jewish Pharisees are trying to get Jesus to call down judgement on people. Jesus responds that they should "take the plank out of their own eye before taking the speck out of someone else's."
It really doesn't matter how big a speck or a plank we have in our own eye, our place is to remove it from our own eye. Or to put it in different words, we will all be held to account for our own actions and attitude.

Bono has his own story before God that God is telling to him. I am sure this injury is part of it, but we can not assume which part. That is the deeply personal part of the story that is none of our business.

I have nothing but immense respect for Bono and his "long obedience in the same direction".

Amazing things will come out of this trial, that none of us would wish on anybody.

Get well soon Bono, and may you know the peace that passes all understanding.
Nicely put.  :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 11:07:56 PM by Parsons »

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2015, 06:39:57 AM »
Most excellent, ST.

Here's some encouragement both for Bono and his fans.