Author Topic: Letter from Bono on U2.com  (Read 14410 times)

Offline Mary C

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Letter from Bono on U2.com
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2015, 09:22:55 AM »
Siberian Tiger, great post. I LOVE your phrase "long obedience in the same direction." Where does that quote come from? IMO that describes his life pretty well (the occasional exit ramp notwithstanding, he always gets back on the highway. Eventually). 
I thought of that Narnia chapter too, but I think I can do you one better. Let's cut to the chase and go straight to The Source, the Good Book itself.

When I read your post, immediately something from the Bible jumped into my head: "Whomsoever the Lord loveth, He chastiseth," and I had to find out where that came from. Here is what I found, and it is almost frightening in its accuracy--these verses seem to be tailor-made for what our B is going through right now. I checked several different versions, but the New Devotional Bible is best. It's almost identical to the King James original, save for modern tweaking of a word here and there.

From Hebrews Chapter 12:

"Therefore, though we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses" (the KJ version uses these exact words) "let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith...consider him who endured such oppoitision from sinful men, so that you will not be weary and lose heart.
"In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding blood. And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons: [Paul quotes Proverbs here]:
'My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines [chastises] those he loves, and punishes everyone He accepts as a son.'
"Endure hardship as discipline: God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father?.....
"we have all had fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirit and live! Our fathers discipline us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
"Therefore [and this phrase is again right from the KJ version] strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. Make level paths for your feet, so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed."

Those who like me are U2 fans of the actively spiritual type know that deep down underneath all the artifice, there is still a deep believer. Reflecting on the letter, it does not sound like he has succumbed to bitterness. There's more of an air of, "Yeah, maybe you're right...I've really f&#$(d up."
 Both "you're" and "You're" right....
I'd like to think he has rediscovered these verses and now goes about with them in mind:)

If it is as those verses say, then maybe God still loves Bono very much indeed. And still has a lot for him to do. I take great comfort in that thought.

I have  more to say on this, but not right at the moment. You and Parsons have been the first I'v seen who voice my thoughts....

But for now, let me just say this. The Innocence and Experience Tour? Nah.
Bono's New Year's letter, is the official kickoff to what I'm now calling the  2015 U2 Contrition and Repentance Tour:)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 10:00:09 AM by Mary C »

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2015, 09:56:21 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Most excellent, ST.

Here's some encouragement both for Bono and his fans.

Oh wow. That poor guy. But I agree, this is encouraging. Knowing Bono, he won't let any of this hold him back.

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2015, 10:23:20 AM »
Siberian Tiger, great post. I LOVE your phrase "long obedience in the same direction." Where does that quote come from? IMO that describes his life pretty well (the occasional exit ramp notwithstanding, he always gets back on the highway. Eventually). 
I thought of that Narnia chapter too, but I think I can do you one better. Let's cut to the chase and go straight to The Source, the Good Book itself.

When I read your post, immediately something from the Bible jumped into my head: "Whomsoever the Lord loveth, He chastiseth," and I had to find out where that came from. Here is what I found, and it is almost frightening in its accuracy--these verses seem to be tailor-made for what our B is going through right now. I checked several different versions, but the New Devotional Bible is best. It's almost identical to the King James original, save for modern tweaking of a word here and there.

From Hebrews Chapter 12:

"Therefore, though we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses" (the KJ version uses these exact words) "let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith...consider him who endured such oppoitision from sinful men, so that you will not be weary and lose heart.
"In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding blood. And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons: [Paul quotes Proverbs here]:
'My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines [chastises] those he loves, and punishes everyone He accepts as a son.'
"Endure hardship as discipline: God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father?.....
"we have all had fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirit and live! Our fathers discipline us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
"Therefore [and this phrase is again right from the KJ version] strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. Make level paths for your feet, so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed."

Those who like me are U2 fans of the actively spiritual type know that deep down underneath all the artifice, there is still a deep believer. Reflecting on the letter, it does not sound like he has succumbed to bitterness. There's more of an air of, "Yeah, maybe you're right...I've really f&#$(d up."
 Both "you're" and "You're" right....
I'd like to think he has rediscovered these verses and now goes about with them in mind:)

If it is as those verses say, then maybe God still loves Bono very much indeed. And still has a lot for him to do. I take great comfort in that thought.

I have  more to say on this, but not right at the moment. You and Parsons have been the first I'v seen who voice my thoughts....

But for now, let me just say this. The Innocence and Experience Tour? Nah.
Bono's New Year's letter, is the official kickoff to what I'm now calling the  2015 U2 Contrition and Repentance Tour:)

If you are right Mary( I think you are ) we may witness one of the best U2 tours ever as the spirit of the band is revived and renewed.

" ALL things work together for GOOD to those who LOVE GOD and are called according to HIS purposes "                                                                                        Romans 8:28

Beautiful post by the way ,please post your thoughts more often.  :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 10:34:23 AM by Parsons »

Offline busy5mom

• Stateless
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2015, 12:36:31 PM »
Love these thoughts, all of you. If we all posted more often like this over many websites, using the only weapon we know ... the world would never be the same!

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2015, 10:26:29 PM »
Most excellent, ST.

Here's some encouragement both for Bono and his fans.

Oh wow. That poor guy. But I agree, this is encouraging. Knowing Bono, he won't let any of this hold him back.

I agree.  Bono has always performed with a passion that comes from his heart.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2015, 12:04:09 AM »
This feels like it's turning some Christian prayer group.  Please, start a thread that's focused on your faith, if it so moves you.

Offline zeeTV

• Numb
  • But I can change the world in me... REJOICE
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2015, 03:44:19 AM »
[quote author=SlyDanner link=topic=25859.msg1505308#msg1505308 date=14202

As for the j******/low class Kayne, I really don't understand this at all.  Is it the same old PC Bono, or is he trying to remain relevant to a different demographic?  I think U2 have like 3 or 4 black fans, so not sure what the motivation here continues to be.

+1 I can't believe they like KANYE' s music

This should have been the album cover : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
+1
[/quote]

Oooof ... Ooof what is with the Yeezy hating?  ???

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2015, 03:53:29 AM »
You mean Kanye?

Well... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

That, and his "IMMA GONNA LET YOU FINISH". And his crazy ego. And all his taking photos-with-yachts stuff. Dude, we get it. Stop showing off.

Offline zeeTV

• Numb
  • But I can change the world in me... REJOICE
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2015, 05:59:10 AM »
That `09 moment WAS THE MOST ENTERTAINING thing to happen at an awards show in like forever. Still baffled how Taylor "Break up with a guy and write a song about her bitterness" Swift won against Queen B .
Mate... Its just his facade... all artists go through stages like that - aka Bono during the fly. If you actually sat day and listened to Ye's collection right from College Drop Out to Yeezus, there is alot of soul in those record.
MDTF is one of the greatest albums of the century,...he is a misinterpreted genius. I shall leave it at that

Offline reasons40

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2015, 06:16:57 AM »
I think Bono has forgotten about the Kanye motorcycle video, or maybe it's considered art for comedic purposes?

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2015, 11:25:53 AM »
This could read incredibly insensitive, but perhaps this is one of the best things that could happen to him and the band.  This could give SOI live a new weight entirely. The stakes have been increased.  Personally, if I were a spiritual man such as Bono, I would take it as a sign from the Chairman of the Board to check myself.  The whole thing is textbook Greek tragedy verbatim; that old saying: The pride before the fall.   Let's check some harsh realities:

1.  Bono has torpedoed the band's image irreparably because of the deal with Apple.  We've heard ad nauseam he doesn't care about pi**ing off haters.  But given this arguably did more harm than good, it does point to hubris uber.  While I love the album and was not in the least bothered with the download, I don't see how the band could carry on promoting the album with a straight face without coming off as major a##holes.   
2.  Bono has admitted perhaps he has lost touch with reality given he has never had a time to rest and reflect.
3.  It can only humanize Bono for the better.  This is a window for genuine humility, not the convenient "best behavior act" normally espoused (albeit charmingly) at awards shows and public engagements.
4.  All of the above could help write deeper and rawer introspection.
5.  Or it could prove the reverse and only empower his arrogant holier than thou image for the worst. 

1. No. The tax "controversy" did more damage. It's laughable a big artist giving away an album for free gets criticism from folk in a time when everyone and their mother steals free music.
2. Eh, what ?
3. Haters gonna hate, no matter what he does.
4. SOI was pretty introspective with or without accidents.
5. I'm reminded of The Fly character pointing and laughing at exactly this tipe of caricature, exaggerated version of himself the media likes to paint.

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2015, 12:13:47 PM »
This feels like it's turning some Christian prayer group.  Please, start a thread that's focused on your faith, if it so moves you.

1) They are discussing a portion of Bono's U2.com letter, which was very specifically about his Christian faith. If that bothers you, you might be happier reading other threads. There are thousands to choose from.

2) Don't tell others what they can and can't do in the forum. Let the moderators/admins do their job.

Any questions? Drop me a note.

m2

Offline JHook

• Numb
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2015, 12:59:09 PM »
Regarding the discussions of faith in this thread, well, it's not my thang, but it doesn't bother me. And of course Bono talked about the very same in his letter. He always does, and I always appreciate his outlook, even if it's different from my own.

Which brings me to my only thought on the matter: if God is really in the business of testing people, there are better candidates out there than Bono. Bono hasn't started any unnecessary wars. He hasn't tortured anyone. He hasn't taken food from the mouths of poor people. Is he perfect? No. Is he pretty good? Yep. If God wants to force anyone to sit down and have a think, I could make a few other suggestions for Him.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • I’m born again to the latest sound
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2015, 01:36:14 PM »
Regarding the discussions of faith in this thread, well, it's not my thang, but it doesn't bother me. And of course Bono talked about the very same in his letter. He always does, and I always appreciate his outlook, even if it's different from my own.

Which brings me to my only thought on the matter: if God is really in the business of testing people, there are better candidates out there than Bono. Bono hasn't started any unnecessary wars. He hasn't tortured anyone. He hasn't taken food from the mouths of poor people. Is he perfect? No. Is he pretty good? Yep. If God wants to force anyone to sit down and have a think, I could make a few other suggestions for Him.

Thanks, JHook for your understanding. :)

To my understanding, the "testing" is in the way of making us more like Christ, sanctification. To die to our own selves and live for Him and to be made ready to do His will and work. Many people, me included, don't draw close to God until we are in a place where we need Him; when we are at the end of ourselves. We are a stubborn, selfish lot. He is always faithful to bring us back home to Him if we trust in Him as Savior. Our trials are a blessing even when we are angry at Him for them! They bring us to the One who loves us as no other could. To One who purposefully chose to endure those earthly/human trials Himself. Who does that?!

If I take the time to think on it, it should be more worrisome when we have no trials. When we aren't talking to Him, then we aren't in relationship and actively being made ready.

For me, the scariest verse in the Bible is Exodus 9:12 -

But the Lord hardened Pharaoh’s heart and he would not listen to Moses and Aaron, just as the Lord had said to Moses.

If we reject Him, will He know us? And, don't we each reject him daily, hourly, each minute? We should rejoice that He wants our attention. I pray that our spirit is never hardened to the point that we cannot hear Him, even if it takes a long season of sorrow, or physical/mental pain, or some other trial we would wish on no one. Our hope is in Him and only there will we find rest.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline JHook

• Numb
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2015, 03:34:55 PM »
You seem very cool, mdmomof7, and in my short time at this forum I've enjoyed your comments all over the place, on all manner of topics. :) I'm a spiritual person, but in a secular way, if that makes sense. I don't subscribe to a particular faith. My feeling is that accidents happen, and Bono fell off his bike and got some awful injuries. I think many people who are put in that position tend to get reflective, to take stock of themselves and of the things that are important to them. Bono just strikes me as someone thinks about this stuff all the time. I don't know. I'm not really arguing with anyone here, I just feel very protective of B. (I'm sure you know what I mean) and we all know that he gets a lot of undeserved mud flung at him. When it comes from the general public, well, who cares what they think. But I hate to see anyone here taking pleasure in the fact that he's essentially been forced to sit down and be quiet. I mean, I know "pleasure" is probably far too strong a word. The man just doesn't deserve to be in pain. No one does.

Again, I'm absolutely not fighting with anyone. I just find this all very interesting. Always have. Also I like to talk. :)