Author Topic: Letter from Bono on U2.com  (Read 14401 times)

Offline reasons40

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Letter from Bono on U2.com
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2015, 03:54:54 PM »
The hairs on the back of neck stand up when people try to sell something by packaging it up with the a Religious Seal of Approval on it. Just makes me think of the religious leaders Bono has sung about over the years...

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2015, 04:06:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The hairs on the back of neck stand up when people try to sell something by packaging it up with the a Religious Seal of Approval on it. Just makes me think of the religious leaders Bono has sung about over the years...
Personally, I'm uncomfortable with the notion that there has to be a sacrifice in order for change to occur. It works nicely in literature, but we're talking about a live human being here. That's what I was trying to say in my last post, I guess.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • I’m born again to the latest sound
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2015, 04:12:54 PM »
You seem very cool, mdmomof7, and in my short time at this forum I've enjoyed your comments all over the place, on all manner of topics. :) I'm a spiritual person, but in a secular way, if that makes sense. I don't subscribe to a particular faith. My feeling is that accidents happen, and Bono fell off his bike and got some awful injuries. I think many people who are put in that position tend to get reflective, to take stock of themselves and of the things that are important to them. Bono just strikes me as someone thinks about this stuff all the time. I don't know. I'm not really arguing with anyone here, I just feel very protective of B. (I'm sure you know what I mean) and we all know that he gets a lot of undeserved mud flung at him. When it comes from the general public, well, who cares what they think. But I hate to see anyone here taking pleasure in the fact that he's essentially been forced to sit down and be quiet. I mean, I know "pleasure" is probably far too strong a word. The man just doesn't deserve to be in pain. No one does.

Again, I'm absolutely not fighting with anyone. I just find this all very interesting. Always have. Also I like to talk. :)

I try to find the why or the benefit when bad things happen. It doesn't mean I wish it on anyone or accept it gracefully myself. Hence, the angry w/ God part.  ;) I know my hubby says I think too much, but that's just me. I also know and have seen that God does work all things for good for His children. Even when we can't see it easily or for a long while, and wonder if we will EVER see that good.

I understand where you are coming from on your take of some of the posts in here. These are surely intense and personal "talking points" just as Bono's were that led to some of the comments here.  I find it difficult to communicate thoughts in writing as easily or beautifully as Bono. I'm also very protective of the Bman as you (and most of us here) are. I'd hope no one would ever take pleasure in anyone else's pain or wish it on anyone for any purpose.

All over the place - yep, that's me.  ;) I've enjoyed your posts too. If we could all meet up in one of Bono's Dublin pubs, THAT would be a treat!  :)

reasons40 - I'm mostly anti packaging, and surely a work in progress. I empathize and am trying to synthesize too.  :)

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2015, 05:36:30 PM »
This feels like it's turning some Christian prayer group.  Please, start a thread that's focused on your faith, if it so moves you.

1) They are discussing a portion of Bono's U2.com letter, which was very specifically about his Christian faith. If that bothers you, you might be happier reading other threads. There are thousands to choose from.

2) Don't tell others what they can and can't do in the forum. Let the moderators/admins do their job.

Any questions? Drop me a note.

m2

No questions, just a few thoughts.

1) I understand the context of the discussion.  There is however a difference - in my view - between observing/commenting on the faith that inspired Bono's letter, versus pushing your own religion on others, which is what this morphed into and continues in later posts.  I have no problem with anyone's faith, but I do believe there is a time and place for it.  You can disagree with me, as that is the nature and spirit of a forum such as this.

2) I did not tell anyone what they can or cannot do.  I simply made an observation as to the nature of their posts.  Again, feel free to disagree with me.

with respect,
SD

Offline Johnny_Mac12

• Refugee
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2015, 06:33:49 PM »
Who might these people be? I guess the preacher that he rants about during Bullet the Blue Sky on Rattle and Hum?

Offline Mary C

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2015, 07:31:34 PM »
Whoa, whoa, whoa. I was actually hoping one of the mods would jump in here, just so I could ask them: since there a few people who are attuned to the spiritual side of U2, it would be great if we could have our own thread or section of the Forum...if I wanted to start such a thread, where should it go?

That said, I feel like I should address everyone who has responded to the "God-jacking" of this thread:) U2 and religion has always been a really touchy subject, and rightly so.

I don't know what the other posters think, but I am not, Not, *NOT* out to convert people!! One of the things I love most about U2, and Bono in particular, is how they've managed to walk the tightrope between being active believers and refusing to be pigeonholed. That has made them quite controversial at times in certain American Christian denominations, who still persist in the idiotic belief that you can't get the "Religious Seal of Approval" (JHook, you hit the nail on the head) unless you put "Jesus" in your music, and have it all be "bless me" instead of exploring issues of doubt and loss of trust and faith...well, anything dark in general. Which U2 continue to do, and I love them for it. (There's a reason Bono identifies so much with David. Talk about a tormented life.) In fact, that's why they're still the best, and better than any so -called "Christian" band. Which, b/c of this issue, these bands have never interested me. They bore me.

As regards my posts--like I said, I don't know about other posters, but *I*  wasn't trying to convert anybody or lead a "prayer group" (?) All it was was, I found a Bible verse that IMO describes what I feel he is going through now, and which is actually pretty instructive to anyone who reads the Bible in an instructive capacity (as opposed to mere scholarship or academia.) The fact that it's from the New Testament (Christian) is inconsequential. There's something in the OT (if you're Jewish), or someone who was Muslim could have jumped in and quoted Sura Whatever, or be a Buddhist or Hindu and quoted scriptures from there. Even though Bono is Christian, it would be interesting if someone from another religion did chime in, b/c "the time of testing"  is a popular meme among many established religions. I wouldn't know much about the faith involved, but it would be interesting nevertheless.

Personally, FYI, I'm not from the "This is the way or you'll go to Hell" brand of faith. I like Bono's quote better: "All God wants is a willing heart and for us to reach out to Him." Even though he wrote that (to  his father, no less!) over 30 yrs ago, I'm sure he still lives by that premise. Every single day. I certainly don't go around preaching at people! Even as a teen I never felt I was worthy enough for it, and since then life has knocked me down to size so that I feel humble enough to the point where I don't feel I have the right. [or as Bono puts it: "I thought I heard the Captain's voice/it'd hard to listen while you preach." Take your own advice in EBW!]  If you met me, you'd never know I was...well, I like to use the phrase "have an active spiritual life." I only bring it up if someone asks me specifically. And most of my friends are non-church-goers. I don't like to get boxed in any more than the band did after Shalom. Open your world....that's the essence of U2..and me.

I'd also like to answer the fantastic question of "Aren't there better candidates out there who should be 'tested' then Bono?" That never occurred to me...well, the shortest answer to that is, I guess, look at the Scripture I quoted..."God tests those whom he LOVES...." If God loves Bush or Cheney, I'll eat my peach-colored Lycra bike shorts.<g>

(Actually, this question would be great to discuss in the "religion" thread...:)
Which, Md, IF I can start it, I'd appreciate if you put in a HUGE disclaimer about attempted conversion, intolerance, or things heating up too much. I'd like for it not to degenerate into pin-headed stupidity. I'd be aiming for thoughtful, serious discussion, I'd love for us U2 fans not to become "agents of intolerance"--all too easy these days, and when discussing Bono, it's like pouring gasoline on the fire. Actually, I was thinking more of discussing U2's career through this lens. This isn't Bono's first big "time of testing", it's actually the 3rd. Though this one is definitely the most serious of the bunch. That's more the kind of stuff I wanted to touch on though anyone else would be free to bring up anything, as long as it relates in some way to U2. Lyrics from SOI  would be a great way to start!

And anyone who wants to respond to this post, please wait to do so in the "Spiritual" thread, if the mods let me set it up. Everyone else is right--this has gotten way OT.

And now---back to our regularily scheduled programming:)

« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 07:46:28 PM by Mary C »

Offline Mary C

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2015, 08:00:07 PM »
Stateless, Mdmom (do you really have 7 kids? Do you get any sleep?:)--

thanks for the NBC link. Yep, that was hilarious. I particularily enjoyed the camera zooming in on the X-ray and quoting the Lycra comment, like they were serious news..lol. Actually, (correct me if I'm wrong), isn't Anne Thompson a huge U2 fan? I seem to recall her doing a report from Dublin just before Elevation started in 2001. She went to Windmill Lane and reported from the "graffiti wall"--or maybe she did a segment walking around Dublin interspersed with shots of Bono at Windmill Lane. I know I'm not hallucinating b/c I distinctly remember Bono pointing to a graffito that said "Edge is a sex god" and thinking "YOU probably wrote that, you sly devil. And you're absolutely right, he is." Then and now...:)(Sorry guys. How "Christian" of me...)  Got a great laugh out of me at the time. I KNOW I remember Anne's voice associated with something U2.
If anyone can find this footage, I'd like to rewatch it.

In any case, I think she was making a sly comment back. Great stuff.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 08:06:02 PM by Mary C »

Offline reasons40

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2015, 08:26:13 PM »
Not only way off topic, but boring..

Offline FallenJoshuaTree

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2015, 08:49:54 PM »
[quote author=SlyDanner link=topic=25859.msg1505308#msg1505308 date=14202

As for the j******/low class Kayne, I really don't understand this at all.  Is it the same old PC Bono, or is he trying to remain relevant to a different demographic?  I think U2 have like 3 or 4 black fans, so not sure what the motivation here continues to be.

+1 I can't believe they like KANYE' s music

This should have been the album cover : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
+1
[/quote]

I fully don't get the Kayne thing at all!  Is he loosing touch.

surit87

« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2015, 11:39:12 PM »
Love your posts, mom and maryc. :)

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2015, 02:52:56 AM »
This feels like it's turning some Christian prayer group.  Please, start a thread that's focused on your faith, if it so moves you.

Sorry, I don't think we wanted to derail it and go off on a big tangent. I was trying to keep my comments relevant to the thread. Don't worry, as Bono says, just treat us with a healthy amount of skepticism and everything will be cool. Thanks for voicing your discomfort though.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2015, 02:59:49 AM »
Regarding the discussions of faith in this thread, well, it's not my thang, but it doesn't bother me. And of course Bono talked about the very same in his letter. He always does, and I always appreciate his outlook, even if it's different from my own.

Which brings me to my only thought on the matter: if God is really in the business of testing people, there are better candidates out there than Bono. Bono hasn't started any unnecessary wars. He hasn't tortured anyone. He hasn't taken food from the mouths of poor people. Is he perfect? No. Is he pretty good? Yep. If God wants to force anyone to sit down and have a think, I could make a few other suggestions for Him.

I think these are great questions. The thing I love about our own spiritual questions, is that we are often forced to discover the answers ourselves. But it doesn't hurt to source a few opinions I guess.
The thing I was getting at, is that we each have our own story. Many of us can see that Bono is going through a huge trial. We would be fools to miss it. But it would be wrong for any of us to assume *why* he is going through a trial. The fact is we all do need and will go through trials in our lives. The question is, how will we respond to those trials?

I met a blind man recently. He had a bad accident five years ago where he his head badly while carrying a heavy weight. By the afternoon he was blind. The thing is he could have gotten very angry and bitter, and even angry with God. The day I met him he was very humble and was begging to know more about God. I was stunned by his humility and response to suffering in his own life.

We each have our own story. Only One can tell it to us.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2015, 03:24:43 AM »
Most excellent, ST.

Here's some encouragement both for Bono and his fans.

Oh wow. That poor guy. But I agree, this is encouraging. Knowing Bono, he won't let any of this hold him back.

Does anyone here know the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio show? There was an episode where some experienced cave climbers in the future gave themselves a deliberate injury, such as a broken arm, to make the adventures more challenging.
If you haven't heard it, the joke would be lost on you though.

surit87

« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2015, 03:26:48 AM »
Regarding the discussions of faith in this thread, well, it's not my thang, but it doesn't bother me. And of course Bono talked about the very same in his letter. He always does, and I always appreciate his outlook, even if it's different from my own.

Which brings me to my only thought on the matter: if God is really in the business of testing people, there are better candidates out there than Bono. Bono hasn't started any unnecessary wars. He hasn't tortured anyone. He hasn't taken food from the mouths of poor people. Is he perfect? No. Is he pretty good? Yep. If God wants to force anyone to sit down and have a think, I could make a few other suggestions for Him.

I think these are great questions. The thing I love about our own spiritual questions, is that we are often forced to discover the answers ourselves. But it doesn't hurt to source a few opinions I guess.
The thing I was getting at, is that we each have our own story. Many of us can see that Bono is going through a huge trial. We would be fools to miss it. But it would be wrong for any of us to assume *why* he is going through a trial. The fact is we all do need and will go through trials in our lives. The question is, how will we respond to those trials?

I met a blind man recently. He had a bad accident five years ago where he his head badly while carrying a heavy weight. By the afternoon he was blind. The thing is he could have gotten very angry and bitter, and even angry with God. The day I met him he was very humble and was begging to know more about God. I was stunned by his humility and response to suffering in his own life.

We each have our own story. Only One can tell it to us.

I must agree with you Tiger. Facing trials, like when I lost my dad to a car accident, has instilled a lot of maturity in me. Before, I would behave like a totally spoiled brat and be insensitive to other's feelings. But facing some real problems like the one I mentioned has taught me a great deal of human nature and all that is essential to being a good human being. Now that I have experienced some things like loss, despair, poverty, etc. I can relate to another person feeling the same and, as the lyrics go: 'carry each other'.

"Suffering builds character and impels you to penetrate life’s secrets." Kay Larson

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2015, 07:03:02 AM »
I consider myself to be someone who tries to live a Christian life, but with this sort of discussion, I’m reminded of a Buddhist parable.  I loosely paraphrase how I remember the story below…

There was a man who lived on a farm and had only one horse.  One day, the horse ran away and his neighbors came over to console him.  The man said, “who knows what is good or bad.”  A month later, that horse came home, brining with her two beautiful wild horses.  The neighbors came over to congratulate the farmer on his luck, and again the farmer said, “who knows what is good or bad?”  A few days later, the farmer’s son was thrown from one of the wild horses when he was trying to tame them and broke his leg.  Again, the neighbors came by to console to the farmer, and again the farmer said, “who knows what is good or bad?”  This was during a time of war and the army came by to conscribe all able-bodied men, but the left the son, since he had a broken leg.  The neighbors came by to congratulate the farmer, and he said…..   well…. You get the idea. 

Bottom line, good things and bad things happen to each and every one of us all the time.  It’s called life.  There’s something to be learned from everything.