Author Topic: new reviews contra bomb  (Read 1127 times)

Offline zooradio

• Babyface
new reviews contra bomb
« on: February 24, 2009, 12:28:46 PM »
I'm seeing a pattern with a lot of No Line reviews, and that happens to be taking stabs (often just cheap-shots) at the Atomic Bomb album. The average music critic tends to be very see-thru anyway, but this all reminds me of when ATYCLB debuted and the critics were relentless in their attacks on Pop (a work of mad genius) and how U2 dropped the ball, etc. But to get back to the Bomb, what I see as critiques of an album often described by these musical fascists as "safe" and "unmemorable", they overlook the fact that side 2 of Atomic Bomb is also a work of pure genius. And (you probably see where I'm going with this) the more I listen to No Line, the more I'm convinced that the side 2 genius still continues.

To me, it is very reassuring that the old "Pop-like" criticisms have returned. Pop is one of the greatest albums ever (for all the anti-Pop trolls out there, kiss my ar*e), yes even in its raw, demented "unfinished" form. No Line reminds me in many ways of that crazy spirit which inspired Pop, and Achtung, and Zooropa. And that crazy spirit is called U2.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
Re: new reviews contra bomb
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 12:30:30 PM »
It seems that I am one of those critics who took a (small) jab at Atomic Bomb  :-\ :'(

Offline acejace

• Wanderer
  • "...as an angel - hits the ground"
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 12:40:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm seeing a pattern with a lot of No Line reviews, and that happens to be taking stabs (often just cheap-shots) at the Atomic Bomb album. The average music critic tends to be very see-thru anyway, but this all reminds me of when ATYCLB debuted and the critics were relentless in their attacks on Pop (a work of mad genius) and how U2 dropped the ball, etc. But to get back to the Bomb, what I see as critiques of an album often described by these musical fascists as "safe" and "unmemorable", they overlook the fact that side 2 of Atomic Bomb is also a work of pure genius. And (you probably see where I'm going with this) the more I listen to No Line, the more I'm convinced that the side 2 genius still continues.

To me, it is very reassuring that the old "Pop-like" criticisms have returned. Pop is one of the greatest albums ever (for all the anti-Pop trolls out there, kiss my ar*e), yes even in its raw, demented "unfinished" form. No Line reminds me in many ways of that crazy spirit which inspired Pop, and Achtung, and Zooropa. And that crazy spirit is called U2.

Ummm, ditto to all that. Just the right blend of traditional and experimental/new in my opinion. But then I felt that way about ATYCLB and HTDAAB as well.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 12:44:14 PM »

Great post zooradio. Agree with everything you say about Pop here, it is genius and it's my favorite U2 album along with War. I have not heard No Line.... yet - Im holding out (just). Any references to U2 and the spirit of them, the spirit of Pop and Achtung Baby & Zooropa is fine by me. Ive said many times on this forum before, that if No Line..... is half as good as pop, Ill be a very happy man!

Offline pt1916

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 02:11:23 PM »
well said. I was just thinking the very same thing! All the Us reviews go on about bomb.  Is it my imagination but when do reviewers  go on about previous albums as much as U2? I really think this album will be a grower and will be considered a masterpiece.  I do think the fecked up wit hthe first single tho....

shockdocta22

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 02:23:12 PM »
bombs songs were all good but it didnt make an album

Offline xtrmntr

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 08:03:59 PM »
This critic also takes a shot a bomb, but this guy is an honest critic.  He's not a kiss-ass and not a music snob.  I believe Bono called up and spoke to him about a concert review during the last tour--might have been Elevation tour in 2001.  Anyway, this guy is honest and I respect his reviews. 

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 08:25:53 PM »
Bomb was a very cohesive album,, I also do not listen to critics...........................because that is all they are good at,criticising.