Author Topic: I have been banned form liking U2!  (Read 7379 times)

shockdocta22

Re: I have been banned form liking U2!
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2009, 01:47:07 PM »
good luck

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2009, 01:50:14 PM »
*Places sign on Forum window (if it has any...)* WANTED - A ENGLISH U2 FORUM FRIEND WITH QUIRKY HUMOUR.

Offline a Name for a Girl

• Precious Stone
  • mild and green and squeaky-clean
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2009, 01:53:09 PM »
Hey DarkAngel!  I'm glad you're not leaving us all the way.  I hope you don't mind me sharing a bit of advice.

I think on one hand I can understand your parents' perspective, because I've been thinking about my own experience on this forum, which I've found rather stunningly addictive. I want to make sure that I'm not just turning into another internet junkie.  I think the best way to do that is to ask yourself "Is my love of U2 and my time on the forum making me a better person, or is it keeping me from doing things I should be doing?"  Once you have the answer to that, and are able to consider your parents' concerns -- especially since they are forum outsiders -- as valid, you'll have a better conversation with them.

The forum has really redefined my concept of friendships.  I used to think friendship was only possible face-to-face, but I'm not sure.  We get the chance to give and receive real support here, especially in the "real world" section, and that's gotta mean something.  Maybe you could share some stories with your parents about how you and others have benefited from the lyrics (or even the activism) of U2 as well.  I can't think of very many other bands that are consistently so life-changing in a positive sense.  Has U2 and/or the forum challenged you to think harder?  Feel more richly?  Do more good?  Let them know that.  I think if you show them these things, they might be more inclined to understand.  

It is funny, because just as you posted, I was thinking about setting a timer when I'm on the forum, just so I'm aware of how long I am on here.  Maybe telling your parents you'll do the same could help them see that you are committed to a balanced approach.  On that note, I'm going to get off the forum and do some work!   ;)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2009, 01:58:17 PM »
That was so beautifully said Name!!

• Precious Stone
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2009, 02:01:08 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That was so beautifully said Name!!

Thank you SG.  It was sweet of you to offer to PM her parents.  It is just funny that she posted right then, because I was thinking about the same thing .  I just got back online because I realized that PMing her might still reach her, if she has it set up to go to her email.  I'm gonna try that now, and then reset my timer to work on my dissertation! 

Offline BeneathTheNoise

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2009, 02:04:06 PM »
But you're 19, you're legally an adult.. how can they "ban" you? ???

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2009, 02:23:43 PM »
Sorry, it was fun while it lasted but my parents are getting worried about my obsession. I want to stay but I feel I have to go!

sorry  :'(

Remember the Artics Rabbits are not better, ok?

Offline coolbluereason

• Refugee
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2009, 04:08:41 PM »
yeah, i'm obsessive too. it annoys them loads, but they'll get over it.

Offline Got U2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • High People ! !
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2009, 04:29:13 PM »

But you're 19, you're legally an adult.. how can they "ban" you? ???

This fall's to " Under their Roof "   :o

Years & Years later, maybe when your grown & on your own & for what ever reason your parent(s) come's to live with you.......
Then You can " Ban " Them from certain behaviors & thoughts. ;D

But, I have a feeling DarkAngel will reserface sooner than you think.  ;)

shockdocta22

« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2009, 04:30:05 PM »
She will find a way

• Precious Stone
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2009, 05:06:22 PM »
I don't know.  I think we're being too hard on DA's parents.  Can't you understand their concern, especially since they've probably never been on here and don't know much about U2?  Sure she's legally able to make her own decisions, but I commend her for wanting to respect her parents.  Of course there is a balance to figure out here, as there is everywhere, but . . .

Mysterious Ways

« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2009, 05:14:59 PM »
I don't know.  I think we're being too hard on DA's parents.  Can't you understand their concern, especially since they've probably never been on here and don't know much about U2?  Sure she's legally able to make her own decisions, but I commend her for wanting to respect her parents.  Of course there is a balance to figure out here, as there is everywhere, but . . .

Yeah, I can see where they're coming from. But this isn't a chat room or anything. We're such a lovely bunch!

• Precious Stone
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2009, 05:18:15 PM »

Yeah, I can see where they're coming from. But this isn't a chat room or anything. We're such a lovely bunch!

. . . which is why I've gone from zero to Refugee in like two weeks.  I'm really kind of amazed by this place, you know?

Offline the Edge Gotto

• Elevated
  • U2, Peter Gabriel, and Genesis shall dominate
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2009, 05:22:33 PM »
I didn't read all of this thread but don't leave DA. My parents think I'm way too obsessive but it's better than doing other things...

Offline EdgeLike

• Stateless
  • http://www.last.fm/user/EdgeLike
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2009, 05:23:06 PM »
Terribly sorry to hear that, but I don't think that people should get too crazily obsessed over something including a band. Most of us have a healthy obsession for U2 but people do get in over their heads. People, don't be like a World of Warcraft addict who spends many hours playing this video game. Control is the key really.