Author Topic: board games  (Read 2306 times)

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
board games
« on: January 04, 2015, 04:31:08 PM »
Like board games? check out this list of new/recent board games while you tell us about your faves.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
Re: board games
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 09:44:52 PM »
Interesting.

I am a big fan of Risk, and as my daughter puts it "any game with a map on it"

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 09:40:17 AM »
I like Yahtzee.....anyone play it?

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 10:35:35 AM »
We're a big board-game family.  My wife and I have kept track of our top 10 Yahtzee scores since 1995.  We used to have (at least) monthly parties where we'd get a bunch of people over for food and drink and board games.  We'd usually play Monopoly, but a great game to play, even if people haven't played it before, is a game called "Masterpiece," which I don't think they make anymore, for some reason.

Also like the game Risk, but it seems that always ends up in argument.  My wife kills me at Scrabble, even though I'm an English major.  But I rule at Clue (I have devised my own little system for that game).   

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 12:29:42 PM »
My favorite board game ever is Battleship. So much so that no one in my family wants to play me anymore because that's the only game I ever want to play :D

I also like Monopoly, the game that goes on forever... and ever... I once kept a game goon an entire summer by stopping when we got bored and coming back to it periodically.

Also, has anyone heard of the game Scattergories? It seems we always play that one if the power goes out unexpectedly, so I guess it's a family game by now.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 02:54:41 PM »
My favorite board game ever is Battleship. So much so that no one in my family wants to play me anymore because that's the only game I ever want to play :D

I also like Monopoly, the game that goes on forever... and ever... I once kept a game goon an entire summer by stopping when we got bored and coming back to it periodically.

Also, has anyone heard of the game Scattergories? It seems we always play that one if the power goes out unexpectedly, so I guess it's a family game by now.

is that anything like Pictionary?

that is a fun one too....divide by teams and act wild and crazy!
I love Pictionary!!

This is Scattergories: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 03:20:50 PM »
Favorite games, but not necessarily board games:
Guesstures
Taboo
Scattegories

New one this Christmas- Anomia, but it's not really a board game, more like a card game.
Dutch Blitz - another favorite card game

Board Games! Here we are, finally! :)
Sorry
Mancala
Monopoly and Star Wars Monopoly
Clue
Yahtzee

I forgot - Othello, Bananagrams, Scrabble, Speed Scrabble, Triominoes

We don't do as many board games as we used to. Everyone left at home is in high school or college, is working and playing sports. We did do puzzles over the holidays. That has become the girls' new tradition.

Vox - is Masterpiece the art board game? I remember that! We may still have it somewhere! ;)

The boys loved Risk when they were younger. Now they play varying forms of that online.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 03:24:50 PM by mdmomof7 »

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 04:11:44 PM »
I forgot about Mancala! I used to like playing it, but my sister had a strategy I never could figure out and she always beat me.

As long as we're talking about card games, there's Apples to Apples, which I love... and Cards Against Humanity, which I love sometimes but mostly just look on with a horrified expression.

And my family on my dad's side always plays Aggravation, a board game involving marbles. It's highly addictive. ;D

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
  • What are the feelings you left behind?
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 05:35:14 PM »
Apples to Apples was my favorite game throughout high school and college. Many otherwise tame get-togethers were quite ignited by the appearance of that box of cards (with or without alcohol!).

I also love Taboo and Scattergories. My students play "homemade" taboo when we have extra time after exams. They create their own cards as long as they're school appropriate, and they get really competitive about it!

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 09:10:29 PM »
I had Aggravation as a kid and loved it! My kids loved Apples to Apples too, but they don't play that as much now.

I often find them playing wooden pick up sticks too! ;)

We have played homemade Balderdash too. That's a fun one and we haven't done that one for a LONG time!

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 09:35:14 AM »

Vox - is Masterpiece the art board game? I remember that! We may still have it somewhere! ;)

Yes!  It's an art auction game.  There are pieces of art form the Art Institute of Chicago and you attach cards with varying values on them as to each painting's worth.  You buy and sell and auction art.  There's a poker-sort of aspect to it.  Everyone who's ever come to our house can pick it up quickly and we always have a blast!

If we're going off the "board" with other games, I'd add that my wife and I enjoy playing cribbage, and if you have two couples the card game 500 is fun. 

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 01:18:14 PM »

Yes, we also like that and scrabble, plus Risk.

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 06:04:21 PM »

is that anything like Pictionary?

that is a fun one too....divide by teams and act wild and crazy!

Pictionary, reminds me of an old friend of mine, who couldn't draw anything more than stick figures and I forgot that part and
bought it for him for Christmas... ??? :D :D
Needless to say, it wasn't very fun to play the game with him... :D :D

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 11:26:21 AM »
How to play Apples to Apples You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login There is also a Jr. version which we first had.

I forgot about this game - Out of Context. Our friends had it and we played it often when we visited them while they were living in Germany. I need to get this one! It was great fun!

The older kids also went through a Pit phase and Pass the Pigs is simple and fun. Both are easy to travel with.

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 07:16:09 AM »

Yes, we also like that and scrabble, plus Risk.

I forgot about scrabble, thats a good one!