Author Topic: WHY NO TICKETS WITH "MEET AND GREET"  (Read 7756 times)

Offline barbiemom4

• Wanderer
WHY NO TICKETS WITH "MEET AND GREET"
« on: January 25, 2015, 05:15:26 PM »
I have read that some bands have ticket packages that have meet and greet.Has u2 ever done this and why dont they do it now?Just curious.

Offline giggmann

• Babyface
  • AKA @markpeterboro #setlistgeek
Re: WHY NO TICKETS WITH "MEET AND GREET"
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 05:19:12 PM »
My take on this :  Bands do this for additional revenue as they really don't want to meet us and U2 makes enough money selling out arenas and stadiums without having to resort to doing this.

MrAC

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 06:38:08 PM »
It's cool to get a picture with rock-stars, but these "Meet and Greets" that a lot of bands sell are just insulting to the fans. I bought a couple when I was younger and didn't know any better, have gotten a couple through some radio buddies since then.

U2 could probably sell a meet and greet for $5/10K a piece, but it just wouldn't be genuine. And they don't need the money like a lot of these burnt-out bands do.

I did hear that U2 did meet and greets with Amnesty International volunteers back in the day, can anyone verify that?

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 07:35:19 PM »
The up and coming artists will do a meet and greet if you buy a shirt or CD. Then there are AWESOME bands that in addition to doing a meet and greet will talk to you in the bitter cold, past midnight, outside of their tour bus for 45 minutes! NEW POLITICS!!  :-*

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 10:18:31 PM »
U2 will do a meet and greet. They just don't charge for it. Outside hotels, pre gig... They're pretty obliging.

These paid ones are usually an insulting production line with no eye contact allowed.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 10:22:34 PM by briscoetheque »

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 11:17:18 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 will do a meet and greet. They just don't charge for it. Outside hotels, pre gig... They're pretty obliging.

These paid ones are usually an insulting production line with no eye contact allowed.

Exactly. As lacking as they can be when it comes to big picture stuff like the official website and the fan club and social media, they're almost always fantastic at the face-to-face stuff with fans.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 03:28:42 PM »

Exactly. As lacking as they can be when it comes to big picture stuff like the official website and the fan club and social media, they're almost always fantastic at the face-to-face stuff with fans.

And THAT is the second-most important thing about an artist, behind the art itself. Has anyone ever reported having a bad experience with one of them?

I had a friend who met Bono after a show in 1997. She fumbled with her program for what felt like forever trying to find a photo of Bono for him to sign, but every page she turned to was of Edge! Finally, Bono said 'I need to have a word with the person who designed this program!' and ended up signing a picture of Edge for her.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 06:21:02 AM »
Bono was too obliging back in 98.he signed the cover of my popmart program twice...

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 09:53:16 AM »

And THAT is the second-most important thing about an artist, behind the art itself. Has anyone ever reported having a bad experience with one of them?

I had a friend who met Bono after a show in 1997. She fumbled with her program for what felt like forever trying to find a photo of Bono for him to sign, but every page she turned to was of Edge! Finally, Bono said 'I need to have a word with the person who designed this program!' and ended up signing a picture of Edge for her.

An tha, this is yet another reason why we have those Bono threads...

;)

Offline dionna17

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 12:34:28 PM »

A friend of mine went to a recent Fleetwood Mac concert and they are doing a meet-n-greet with Mick Fleetwood. She said he was so nice and talked to everyone and took a picture with each fan.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 12:55:37 PM »

A friend of mine went to a recent Fleetwood Mac concert and they are doing a meet-n-greet with Mick Fleetwood. She said he was so nice and talked to everyone and took a picture with each fan.

I'm going to see the Mac Friday night. Do you know if this was for anyone or pay? I did see packages where you pay for this, but that irks me.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 02:58:40 PM »
I went to a matt Nathanson concert this summer with my daughter. She wanted a t shirt, and when we bought one we found out everybody who got a shirt got to do a meet and greet. She said he was nice, chatted for a minute and took a pic with her. I feel yucky about paying for a meet and greet, but since we were getting a t shirt anyway, it didn't seem so bad. I do appreciate U2 still meeting fans randomly and not turning it into another revenue stream.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 01:11:01 PM »
anyone remember when u2 bought the fans pizza for the 360 tour?

They just ripped themselves off from the Detroit Zoo TV show

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 01:17:23 PM »
Meet and Greets are pretty lucrative for some artists.

I read that Ace Frehley (original Kiss lead guitarist) plays in clubs to about an average of 1000 people. He has to pay a band, manager, bus, staging, etc...from the revenue for each show so their's probably not a ton left over. But he gets about 50 people per show for his meet n greet at $350 per person ($17,500 total). Even if his shows break even it is worth it for him to play just for the meet n greet money.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 09:06:01 AM »
I think most artists who do this are pretty amiable with fans in the first place. Roger Daltrey of The Who has always struck me as a pretty fan-friendly guy, and he did the meet and greet thing. One thing is for sure; if you are going to charge, you had better be on your best behavior.