Author Topic: Video for EBW?  (Read 11343 times)

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
Re: Video for EBW?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2015, 10:40:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well, what do you know! Just a few weeks back, lots of people here were dragging U2 through the mud for supposedly making a video in Belfast. Turns out it was an artful, beautiful little independent film using U2's music to great effect. I take it all is forgiven?
Don't let the bastards grind you down.  ;)
You'd think I'd have learned that by now. :)

Offline Peter Parker

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2015, 10:53:49 AM »
Well its the evening of the 12th. Where is it?

meximofo

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2015, 10:57:59 AM »
See Jono's post in the previous page.

Offline Peter Parker

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2015, 11:21:17 AM »
See Jono's post in the previous page.

OK, sorry missed it. Epic!

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2015, 11:50:36 AM »
No one fearing U2 getting dragged through the mud for evoking the Troubles ?

I appreciate using The Troubles + EBW. But if they made such a video, why not have at least a bit of Raised by Wolves in it ?

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2015, 12:57:38 PM »

Take my poll I'd like to see what people think of the new video

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
  • Nice job by #MoteeShoe
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2015, 01:51:34 PM »
I am not sure how that works as frankly, I have never really been interested and or exposed to short films...so, this for me did two things...made me wonder if it could win an Oscar and or would it get EBW more radio play (which one though, acoustic or LP version?) I guess and it also made me more interested in short films as a whole.

This version which includes the LP and acoustic version intermixed is the way the song should be anyway IMO...

It should have started acoustically with a nice ramp up to hard rock and roll ballad electric and the denouement (not sure if that makes sense, my Pop said, don't use words you're not 100% sure of and or too lazy too Google in today's world I suppose..) but then revert back to acoustic for the finish with the final "if you go" dragged out nice and then the falsetto end.

Love the piece, as I mentioned before, not sure how I would feel if I lived there...

« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 01:53:19 PM by Jono »

Offline J_Rock321

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Hiiipower
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2015, 02:40:23 PM »

I appreciate using The Troubles + EBW. But if they made such a video, why not have at least a bit of Raised by Wolves in it ?

I would say because Every Breaking Wave is about a relationship (the short film) while Raised by Wolves is what happen during and the aftermath of the bombing.

Offline david

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2015, 03:03:48 PM »
What a load of cliched nonsense.

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2015, 04:52:35 PM »

U2 didn't make the video. It was made by a filmmaker who was inspired by their music. I guess she used the songs she wanted to use.

meximofo

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2015, 05:28:48 PM »
Right, because an honest story of love, family, friendship, violence and terrorism in 80's Northern Ireland is something you see everyday in Hollywood, MTV and VH1.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • I’m born again to the latest sound
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2015, 06:12:35 PM »

Ooops! This isn't the Kanye thread.

Here you go - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline zeeTV

• Numb
  • But I can change the world in me... REJOICE
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2015, 06:50:52 PM »
Wow. Utterly beautiful, mind and soul gripping... poetry in motion. That is respecting artistry at its best.
The way they juxtaposed the Troubles, EBW And acoustic EBW was utterly insane.
Wow. That whole story was just beautiful it touched on so many themes... love, religion, loyalty, N.I culture, divide ... the brutality... mentality... violence ... fobidden love... god it brought me goosebumps.
Well done to all. Utterly Insane video. Wow

Offline david

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2015, 06:59:45 PM »
Right, because an honest story of love, family, friendship, violence and terrorism in 80's Northern Ireland is something you see everyday in Hollywood, MTV and VH1.

Ahhh...yes? Have you seen In the Name of  the Father? The Crying Game? The Devils Own? Countless others...

As for MTV and VH1, the Cranberries video for Zombie is one of the most watched of all time and is actually a lot more powerful than the melodramatic crap U2 have just put out in lots of ways even though it's only four mins long.

Everyone from Paul McCartney and John Lennon to Spandau Ballet and Simple Minds have written songs on the troubles at this stage. It is old, tired, clichéd and pointless. A bit like U2 post 2000!

meximofo

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2015, 07:17:47 PM »

Ahhh...yes? Have you seen In the Name of  the Father? The Crying Game? The Devils Own? Countless others...

As for MTV and VH1, the Cranberries video for Zombie is one of the most watched of all time and is actually a lot more powerful than the melodramatic crap U2 have just put out in lots of ways even though it's only four mins long.

Everyone from Paul McCartney and John Lennon to Spandau Ballet and Simple Minds have written songs on the troubles at this stage. It is old, tired, clichéd and pointless. A bit like U2 post 2000!
Yes, I've seen In The Name Of The Father, and the other movies, I even mentioned it in the other thread. Your point?
It's very easy to throw words like "crap", "cliché". We need arguments. Please, enlighten me: how is this cliché? And no, "cliché because is crap" or "crap because is cliché" does not count as an argument.
So no one can write or say anything about WWII then? U.S. Civil War? Good to know. No one will ever write another poem, novel or film anymore.
By the way, if your vitriolic hate for post 2000 U2 wrote your comments for yourself, let me tell you that this is the work of director Aoife McArdle. It's her project and she got permission to use the songs, so you're only showing your bias with your comment.