Author Topic: Video for EBW?  (Read 11348 times)

Offline wik73

• Numb
Re: Video for EBW?
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2015, 07:19:13 PM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What a load of cliched nonsense.
Right, because an honest story of love, family, friendship, violence and terrorism in 80's Northern Ireland is something you see everyday in Hollywood, MTV and VH1.

Ahhh...yes? Have you seen In the Name of  the Father? The Crying Game? The Devils Own? Countless others...

As for MTV and VH1, the Cranberries video for Zombie is one of the most watched of all time and is actually a lot more powerful than the melodramatic crap U2 have just put out in lots of ways even though it's only four mins long.

Everyone from Paul McCartney and John Lennon to Spandau Ballet and Simple Minds have written songs on the troubles at this stage. It is old, tired, clichéd and pointless. A bit like U2 post 2000!

So angry.

Offline dontwantwhatideserve

• Stateless
  • moaning periodically...
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2015, 07:36:36 PM »
I enjoyed the blend of the two versions. Makes wish for a new version that does that. The acoustic is a bit too melodramatic for repeated listening...but it is a needed break from the denseness of the album version...also, I feel like the video doesn't have closure. It's more like the first part of a series. It's nice, though. Itd be nice to have something like this to tie with the concept of the band revisiting their youth...

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • I’m born again to the latest sound
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2015, 07:40:18 PM »
Right, because an honest story of love, family, friendship, violence and terrorism in 80's Northern Ireland is something you see everyday in Hollywood, MTV and VH1.

Ahhh...yes? Have you seen In the Name of  the Father? The Crying Game? The Devils Own? Countless others...

As for MTV and VH1, the Cranberries video for Zombie is one of the most watched of all time and is actually a lot more powerful than the melodramatic crap U2 have just put out in lots of ways even though it's only four mins long.

Everyone from Paul McCartney and John Lennon to Spandau Ballet and Simple Minds have written songs on the troubles at this stage. It is old, tired, clichéd and pointless. A bit like U2 post 2000!

You do realize that a filmmaker did this and used U2's music. U2 approves of it, obviously, but it is NOT a video in the traditional sense...

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2015, 08:58:11 PM »
I liked this short film, but I hope there is also a real music video.

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2015, 11:03:36 PM »
I liked this short film, but I hope there is also a real music video.

+1
A real music video is good enough for me .

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2015, 03:34:44 AM »
It is old, tired, clichéd and pointless. A bit like U2 post 2000!

More like the post-2000 U2 bashing. ;)

Offline joshuazoo

• Babyface
  • All you need is love...
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2015, 07:00:13 AM »
Short version via framestore.com

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
  • Nice job by #MoteeShoe
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2015, 08:33:53 AM »
The short version is not good at all...IMO
The reason the short film worked for me was partly the mix of songs.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • I’m born again to the latest sound
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2015, 08:43:52 AM »
The short version is not good at all...IMO
The reason the short film worked for me was partly the mix of songs.

It's not bad, it's just that the full length is so well done and the songs PERFECT!!!!!! This one lacks the gravitas and doesn't make one as emotionally connected.

The Troubles, especially at the end, is perfect in the original.

I wonder what we'd think if we hadn't seen the original?

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2015, 09:38:59 AM »
Is the short version official or is it fan edited?

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2015, 09:45:42 AM »
This and Films of innocence were pretty terrible for me. Way too self-indulgent, tired story, and for me do nothing to add to the music. I'd much rather have a video with the band in it, jamming out. I don't think any music video without U2 in it is good. I'll never watch it again. Don't want to waste my time.

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2015, 09:54:03 AM »

You do realize that a filmmaker did this and used U2's music. U2 approves of it, obviously, but it is NOT a video in the traditional sense...

NO ONE seems to realize this. This film is NOT a "U2 video."

As for everything else this person said... 2000 was fifteen years ago. Long time to spend disliking a band you're supposed to like.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2015, 10:00:03 AM »
This and Films of innocence were pretty terrible for me. Way too self-indulgent, tired story, and for me do nothing to add to the music. I'd much rather have a video with the band in it, jamming out. I don't think any music video without U2 in it is good. I'll never watch it again. Don't want to waste my time.

I agree. Not a fan of this short film. I laughed when they went from meeting in the club to running around in the forest with the mist rising. Way to cheesy and self indulgent. The video for Please told "the troubles" a lot better then this short film did.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2015, 10:03:16 AM »

I agree. Not a fan of this short film. I laughed when they went from meeting in the club to running around in the forest with the mist rising. Way to cheesy and self indulgent. The video for Please told "the troubles" a lot better then this short film did.

+100

Offline J_Rock321

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Hiiipower
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2015, 12:31:41 PM »

But the film wasn't about  "the troubles" it was about two people simply falling in love during a chaotic time.