Author Topic: Video for EBW?  (Read 11369 times)

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
  • Nice job by #MoteeShoe
Re: Video for EBW?
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2015, 01:40:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This and Films of innocence were pretty terrible for me. Way too self-indulgent, tired story, and for me do nothing to add to the music. I'd much rather have a video with the band in it, jamming out. I don't think any music video without U2 in it is good. I'll never watch it again. Don't want to waste my time.

I agree. Not a fan of this short film. I laughed when they went from meeting in the club to running around in the forest with the mist rising. Way to cheesy and self indulgent. The video for Please told "the troubles" a lot better then this short film did.

But the film wasn't about  "the troubles" it was about two people simply falling in love during a chaotic time.
Most valid point made, period. It was certainly supposed to be in 'Troubles' time frame, but it was just a 'troubling' love story.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • I’m born again to the latest sound
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2015, 05:41:34 PM »
This and Films of innocence were pretty terrible for me. Way too self-indulgent, tired story, and for me do nothing to add to the music. I'd much rather have a video with the band in it, jamming out. I don't think any music video without U2 in it is good. I'll never watch it again. Don't want to waste my time.

I agree. Not a fan of this short film. I laughed when they went from meeting in the club to running around in the forest with the mist rising. Way to cheesy and self indulgent. The video for Please told "the troubles" a lot better then this short film did.

But the film wasn't about  "the troubles" it was about two people simply falling in love during a chaotic time.

YES!

I agree and made this point last night in one of the several threads about this video. The story is the relationship and the universality of battling the waves of whatever difficulties are happening around us and our reactions to them. This story is set in the time period of The Troubles, but is not about them as the subject. The subject is the couple and their dealing with their environment and one another.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2015, 05:55:28 PM »

YES!

I agree and made this point last night in one of the several threads about this video. The story is the relationship and the universality of battling the waves of whatever difficulties are happening around us and our reactions to them. This story is set in the time period of The Troubles, but is not about them as the subject. The subject is the couple and their dealing with their environment and one another.

Exactly. It's universal. It could be Jerusalem. Beirut. Kabul. Sarajevo. Budapest. Berlin. Anywhere, anytime, any troubles.

Offline reasons40

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2015, 06:57:40 PM »
Hope it didn't cost them a whole lot to make that.

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2015, 09:18:18 PM »
What a load of cliched nonsense.
Right, because an honest story of love, family, friendship, violence and terrorism in 80's Northern Ireland is something you see everyday in Hollywood, MTV and VH1.

Ahhh...yes? Have you seen In the Name of  the Father? The Crying Game? The Devils Own? Countless others...

As for MTV and VH1, the Cranberries video for Zombie is one of the most watched of all time and is actually a lot more powerful than the melodramatic crap U2 have just put out in lots of ways even though it's only four mins long.

Everyone from Paul McCartney and John Lennon to Spandau Ballet and Simple Minds have written songs on the troubles at this stage. It is old, tired, clichéd and pointless. A bit like U2 post 2000!

Writing or documenting something as horrific as this blemish in world history will never be
cliche'd or pointless ask any of the victims, or an Armenian who survived the genocide or eyewitnesses to the 66 million killed under the reign of communism (etc).
Regardless of the amount or (lack) of documentation, I can assure you they wouldn't want these atrocity's swept under the rug.
The list is endless, I know but I still would much rather hear or see art that portrays a truthful account instead of all of the bubble gum and cotton candy that dominates the mainstream.
Works like this are created to warn US and remind Us " Please dont let it happen again " !
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 11:15:21 PM by Parsons »

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2015, 07:19:44 AM »
The problem when talking about Armenia 1915 or Belfast 1970's is that is makes History, a political situation of today situation. It is important to remember but if you 'keep scratching' when someone is talking that they really want their borders secure or limits upon economic involvement in a designated area in the moment. 

The problem with this video is that it recognizes the past but it also has a message for today. The film is obviously well done but I really think maybe we are 'too close' to the 80's and haven't done the proper growth in which perspective would allow us to look back and think.

U2, Belfast and McArdle are the ones who 'own' this topic but I still think it is unnecessary. Yes plenty of young people didn't live through this and need to know about it but I really think it is time to move and showcase the 21st century issues that pertain to Belfast now.

It does make good film with drama with a capital D but really, everybody has got to move on. 

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2015, 10:40:41 AM »

This was insightful.

meximofo

« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2015, 10:41:26 AM »
The problem when talking about Armenia 1915 or Belfast 1970's is that is makes History, a political situation of today situation. It is important to remember but if you 'keep scratching' when someone is talking that they really want their borders secure or limits upon economic involvement in a designated area in the moment. 

The problem with this video is that it recognizes the past but it also has a message for today. The film is obviously well done but I really think maybe we are 'too close' to the 80's and haven't done the proper growth in which perspective would allow us to look back and think.

U2, Belfast and McArdle are the ones who 'own' this topic but I still think it is unnecessary. Yes plenty of young people didn't live through this and need to know about it but I really think it is time to move and showcase the 21st century issues that pertain to Belfast now.

It does make good film with drama with a capital D but really, everybody has got to move on.

I disagree with the irrelevancy part. As mdmomof7 said, the video is not about Belfast's problems from the past, it's about trying to live a life in the middle of religious sectarianism, violence, economic crisis and oppression. Sadly, this video is more than relevant in 2015, perhaps not in Belfast but in many places in the world. The video transcends its era and gives the message that (literally) we get to carry each other. It's like saying that the (brilliant) German movie The Lives Of Others is not relevant because it only shows how ordinary lives were destroyed by the Stassi in the '80s and the Germans don't want to look back at their past.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2015, 10:54:47 AM »

This was insightful.

YES!!! So happy to see a worthy piece on this.

I finally, 4th time watching the full short film, saw that at :28 we get a glimpse of U2 October on the poster wall behind the young man. :)

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2015, 10:56:44 AM »

This was insightful.

I finally, 4th time watching the full short film, saw that at :28 we get a glimpse of U2 October on the poster wall behind the young man. :)
The Oct pic was a nice subtle touch. :)

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2015, 11:06:25 AM »

This was insightful.

The Oct pic was a nice subtle touch. :)

8)

meximofo

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2015, 11:08:04 AM »

This was insightful.
That article has a quote by Mexican director Alejandro González Iñarritu, nominated for an Oscar this year for Birdman and also director of Amores Perros, a movie that has been compared to this short film.
“The piece is full of sound and fury. It contains all that a young artist’s work should: a lot of things to say and feel, said with f*** guts, vision and ambition. There is no fear in McArdle’s piece but plenty of humanity; shot and expressed with poetry without betraying the truth”
He knows something about guts and portraying a man falling in love in the middle of violence and loosing everything (see Octavio's story in Amores Perros), so this is a real compliment.

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2015, 11:49:18 AM »

This was insightful.
That article has a quote by Mexican director Alejandro González Iñarritu, nominated for an Oscar this year for Birdman and also director of Amores Perros, a movie that has been compared to this short film.
“The piece is full of sound and fury. It contains all that a young artist’s work should: a lot of things to say and feel, said with f*** guts, vision and ambition. There is no fear in McArdle’s piece but plenty of humanity; shot and expressed with poetry without betraying the truth”
He knows something about guts and portraying a man falling in love in the middle of violence and loosing everything (see Octavio's story in Amores Perros), so this is a real compliment.

This is great to see! And I like your previous comment as well, meximofo.

One thing about "moving on": this filmmaker grew up during a certain time period and that's what shaped her. If she were a novelist writing about her teenage years, would that also be a problem? As a wise man once said, time isn't linear. We can't really make art about the present, as it's always becoming the past. Maybe, 30 years down the road, a Syrian filmmaker will make a film that takes place in Aleppo or in a Turkish refugee camp. Is she also going to be told to move on? 

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2015, 08:55:50 AM »
I just cant see U2 making a video for Every Breaking Wave.

If I am honest I personally believe they are willing to write off Songs of Innocence..

Firstly they way it was released bought all this bad publicity - nobody mentioned the music.  If it was a band such as Coldplay or say RHCP they would have been applauded.  But because Bono is U2 it gave people a reason to attack U2 just because of Bono being Bono.

They did the UK promos.  They even did the facebook questions and answers which was so badly choreographed in my opinion.

More bad publicity for Bono in December 2014 with the new Band Aid single being criticised for its song and lyrics.

Bono thinks F this, i need an idea...let me get out of this BS by crashing my bike.   Say what?!!! :o

Nobody ever mentioned how the album was, the music, the lyrics, the production etc..

Now with regards to SOE my guess was the album was finished but looking how at SOI did I bet they are in the studio and re-working it all ove again - hence why it was not be released before the tour opener.
Oh, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline The Bonzo

• Stateless
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2015, 09:01:52 AM »
in other words the band think SOI is a dud, dead, buried, time to wack SOI, kill the source - eg - Bono falling from his bike..

I mean come on at the very least the edge Larry & Adam could have conducted tv interviews, radio interview. Edge could have sung instead of Bono...

Trust me they have wacked SOI I believe.