Author Topic: Potentially the worst U2 tour  (Read 5189 times)

Offline dhlovesu2

• Stranger in a Strange Land
  • I can eat 27 portions of Fruit and Veg in 10 secs!
Potentially the worst U2 tour
« on: February 17, 2015, 09:04:11 AM »
Dont worry i have my tickets to various nights but Im starting to worry that for the first time, that Im not as excited as I should be.  My reasons are as follows:

Ticket Prices:  They are too high for real fans.  I have paid high prices on previous tours but this only seems to put me in areas of the crowd that are there for the crowd pleasing big hits and think its OK to talk through the slightly less well known ones.
Cheap tickets will not be worth it as they are high in the arena and standing is not recommended e.g 02 London.
New Album Has no hits, its beautiful but is quite dull after a few plays, I have started to flick through it on my Ipod, I dont think the majority of it will last the tour just like the last album
Set List It will be the same as always, 7 new songs if we are lucky and the same set of old rotated classics depending on the night, nothing rare and impromptu.  The 2nd night may well very quickly turn into a greatest hits  night, just to fill the venue.
Bono Surely cant be 100% for this tour and may well prefer a stool for the acoustic set Cant wait for how restless and impatient the crowd will become
Ticket Sales Reports of empty blocks will not help the atmosphere either

Please can you help me get excited again

Offline sundaybd

• Stateless
Re: Potentially the worst U2 tour
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 10:03:40 AM »
2 options:

1. Go in with low expectations, you can't get disappointed and in fact you will probably have all expectations beaten!

or

2. Remember it can't possibly be as bad as 360

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 10:40:27 AM »
I've deleted a couple posts above. I'd suggest everyone re-read our forum rules, where we have several mentions that everything you post should improve the forum, should add to the conversation, etc. If you're posting something that doesn't boost the discussion, don't post it. Here's a link to the rules:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Humor is welcome on the forum, but don't try to be funny by mocking other members and their posts.

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 10:52:52 AM »
May I add I am possibly the only U2 fan on this planet who has seen the stage design.

Trust me its going to be an awesome tour.  Bono's injury has not helped, and it seems the momentum of promoting SOI is lost.

I do think The Edge, Larry and Adam should have continued without Bono to promote the album - The Edge can sing...especially after Bono announced he will be next seen on the tour opener - meaning no public engagements for him

I think the band are rehearsing and will prove the critics wrong once again.

Hey man (The Bonzo), a lot of people have been giving you heat lately and accusing you of lying about seeing the stage design.  I know you were not able to capture it when you saw it, but at the very least could you upload a stick figure drawing?

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 10:57:32 AM »
I can understand why some feel this could all turn out horribly.  There is every reason to think that right now.  But I find the band to be at their best when they are operating from a place of genuine humility and intimacy. For me, that's what makes Elevation just as great as Zoo TV.  The only time bombast has worked favorably (ACROSS THE BOARD) was during Zoo TV for reasons that have been beaten to death.  I know some will counter with, "but POP or Vertigo was boring).  While I enjoyed POP, I think this has potential to be a better arena tour than Vertigo since the album is more fun and personal. 

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 10:58:54 AM »
hey dude,

Yes I will try...but how do I attach the drawing onto this forum...will save it as a jpeg, would I need upload it to a website ad then post the link on here.?

Yup

Step 1: Draw it
Step 2: Scan it to your machine
Step 3: Save it as a JPEG
Step 4: Upload into the forum

It's a set design in a pooost

Offline Jswallow

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 01:40:13 PM »
This tour will be epic,, believe me U2 want to go out in style

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 01:56:28 PM »
I'm excited, but I still have to wait until November to see an i+e show :/

Ticket prices: If you're worried about ticket prices & casual fans who are only into "One" & "Beautiful Day", come & join us in GA for at least one show! Cheap tickets & tonnes of energy throughout the show.

SOI: I really like the new album, particularly the second half. I'm really excited to hear the new songs live. I think that, as the new songs are connected sonically & thematically with much of the bands earlier work, they could work very well with this older material.

Setlists: Yes, Bono lies, & tends to exaggerate. Wild speculation in fandom often leads to rumour being considered to be fact. But if it turns out to be true, that we get 2 separate distinct shows, the possibilities! An innocence show stacked with classics from War, UF & JT. An experience show choc full of AB, Zooropa & Pop. Both shows with their fill of new songs (I'd like to hear them all played). No, this is not how U2 normally operate. Trust me, I know - for the 360 '09 leg I saw 4 shows & they all had the EXACT same setlist. Yes, 2 may have been treated as rehearsals for the Rose Bowl, but they didn't even change it up for Vancouver, the closing show of the leg. I guess we've just got to hope Bono's comments about exploring the ideas of innocence & experience turn out to be true. What a tour we could have!

As for Bono's health, I guess I am lucky I'll be waiting until November. But it is a long period of time, between Bono's accident & the start of the tour. The fact he's cancelled all other commitments has to be a good thing. Along with his rehabilitation, he may have actually had time to work on SOE, & get ready for the tour. Maybe even memorise some lyrics ;)

I'm not worried, I'm excited!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 02:04:11 PM by d.darroch »

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • The best things are easy to destroy
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 03:37:37 PM »
It almost seems like some people want the band to fail.

They will have some bumps in the road for sure, but I'm confident that they'll be triumphant in the end.

I have high hopes for the new material.

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 05:46:27 PM »
Sell your tickets , you don't have to go !  :)

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 03:43:20 AM »
I'm just hoping that at least for one of the nights other than the new songs I hope it's not the same old same old hits collection that make the rest of the set but good amount of not just rare but other well known songs that have been ignored for almost forever.  That will make the trip to Vancouver very sweet.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 12:25:49 PM »
Well at least you gave it a fair shot.

Offline halv

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 11:30:33 AM »
I was massively disappointed by the 360 shows. It felt choreographed and to be quite honest pretty boring. The stage was neat for a few songs but quickly lost it's appeal for me. The band was just to far apart form each other on stage to have any meaningful interaction. I am really looking forward to seeing U2 in arenas again. I have a feeling we are in for some surprises when it comes to the set list. I'm pretty excited about these upcoming shows.

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 01:09:10 PM »
^^^ And this is part of the reason I suspect Paul M.  "quit".

Edgedisciple

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 01:28:22 PM »
I think that the 360 Tour was fine, but I agree that the stage was a bit too much. It sucked away the life of many songs, and instead of bring the band closer to the fans, like the supposed intention was, I think the result was the opposite. It was the first tour in which the band seemed distant and detached. Another interesting thing I've noticed is that when I want to hear some live songs, I never listen to the 360 versions. I don't like that much the way Bono sings them, neither Edge's guitar tones (for example: I find Streets of U22 terrible).